WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:25 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I loved Transformers :( Sometimes it's good to see a mindless action film. However, it seems like people today ONLY want to see mindless action and mindless comedy.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:24 pm 
Minuteman

t3cii wrote:
Jasonx wrote:
Dark Knight was a good movie, but not the best. It did well only because of Heath's death

Sure some went to see the movie so that they could see him but it's Batman! It had an excellent cast, was well received by critics. To say it only did well because of Ledgers death is really selling the movie short.

Well, I agree for the most part, but I don't think it would have made nearly as much money had it not been released soon after Heath's death, I'm sorry to say. I don't think there was so much buzz around the movie that the sequel to the 86th highest grossing movie in America would take in the second highest amount domestically, although many people were excited about the film and Heath's performance especially.

That said, I loved Dark Knight and thought it was a great movie. Heath especially was brilliant, but the rest of the cast (besides Bale's Batman voice) was great as well. I really don't mean to sound like I'm selling it short, I enjoyed the film a lot, but I do think that Mr. Ledger's (extremely) premature death had something to do with its huge intake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Soupdragon wrote:
If only the marketing had been more honest. But if Likedat2 had sat through the movie in a paid seat I guess it doesn't matter really, does it. :)

lol Marketing? Honest?

Only if they think it'll increase their bottom line, and clearly they didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:07 pm 
I DID IT!

I didn't really expect the general public to think Watchmen was cool. It's a movie that's weird and dense and talky and sort of subversive. This kind of stuff doesn't usually make it into big blockbusters, especially not superhero pictures. I'm not sure it's an issue of people being dumb so much as people being ill-accustomed to the kind of film that demands much thought. Most people don't go to arthouse movies. If they went to Watchmen expecting another popcorn flick, I'm sure they were disappointed.

Honestly, I think this movie will develop a following and live forever on DVD/Bluray, though. There's a subset of the general population (not just comic readers either) who really liked it and got it.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:51 pm 

I enjoyed Transformers. And I liked the bit when Megan Fox bent over. Sue me! :o :P 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:00 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Soupdragon wrote:
I enjoyed Transformers. And I liked the bit when Megan Fox bent over. Sue me! :o :P 8-)

I liked the parts where Shia LeBouf says 'Getinthecar' about 50 times. I enjoyed it too, but I'm not a hardcore Transformers fan....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:14 pm 
Watchmaker

Soupdragon wrote:
I liked the bit when Megan Fox bent over.

Who didn't???

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:59 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

1. Transformers was a good movie. Not deep at all, but good CGI + something we've never seen in theaters anymore + large scale + flashy action + some sort of moral code makes for a good movie to watch once in a while, and it was done well.

2. The Dark Knight was good. Not the best, but very good, and no, it was not because of Ledger's death. That brought in a couple extra viewers, but didn't change the movie, and pretty much everyone agreed it was good, critics and by word-of-mouth.

3. People aren't grading Watchmen like a mindless action superhero movie, as some of the less intelligent of you are thinking for some reason.. They're grading it as a movie, as they always do, and the general word-of-mouth is that it's not very good. A lot of people enjoyed it, but it's not something you can look back on and confidently say "That was a good movie."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm 

^ Yes it is. I've talked to the people who didn't like the movie. I asked them what movies are their favorites, and I got answers like Max Payne, Twilight, The Spirit, RV, Hitman, etc.
Indeed they are not intelligent, and they ARE basing it on "I thought is was gonna be bad ass. There's like no action, and you see a guys dick the whole time."
Hardly anybody I've talked to has anything intelligent to say about the acting, sound design, art direction, cinematography, etc.
Plus, Ebert says it's a good movie, so I'm gonna stick with his opinion. When I came out of the movie both times, I could easily look back and say "Wow. That was a great movie."

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:15 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

There are three things wrong with that.

1., Of course you're going to agree with him, he liked the movie.

2. Nobody really cares about your opinion, because the sales and general public say different and there's no evidence that they're wrong/you're right.

3. Nobody cares about who you've talked to, because again, their opinions don't matter as they aren't the general public.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Taking a step back, if being entertained by explosions and pretty faces is wrong, then who among us wants to be right?

I don't see anything wrong with being entertained by the occasional bit of superficial fluff. But focusing on superficial fluff to the point of ignoring everything under the surface? There's where the problem starts.

However, I don't think that "popcorn cinema" rules the roost as much as some say it does. I'm sure there were superficial fluff movies coming out in the days of Casablanca and Citizen Kane, but you don't hear much about them, do you? By the same token, I'm sure that there will be people talking about Watchmen long after people have stopped talking about Fired Up.

This brings me back to the original subject: Is Watchmen "cool?" I personally don't think so. "Cool," you see, is ephemeral. It changes constantly. There was a time when Hanson and the Spice Girls were cool; now, they're just punchlines. Things that are cool fade away in a relatively quick span of time. It happened to zoot suits, mohawks and Tamagotchis, and it's already starting to happen to Twilight.

I believe that the Watchmen graphic novel and movie were made to endure. They are the opposite of cool: they are timeless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:44 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
There was a time when Hanson and the Spice Girls were cool; now, they're just punchlines.

THERE WAS?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:55 pm 

SmilingSymmetry wrote:
There are three things wrong with that.

1., Of course you're going to agree with him, he liked the movie.

2. Nobody really cares about your opinion, because the sales and general public say different and there's no evidence that they're wrong/you're right.

3. Nobody cares about who you've talked to, because again, their opinions don't matter as they aren't the general public.

You don't have to care about my opinion, just as I don't give a shit about yours. I'm merely stating what I think. And I don't giva a flying fuck about the general public. The general public is full of shit, and just because they say a movie is good doesn't mean it actually is. If ticket sales decides what a good movie is, I'm sure Paul Blart should win an oscar :roll:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:04 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

SmilingSymmetry wrote:
3. People aren't grading Watchmen like a mindless action superhero movie, as some of the less intelligent of you are thinking for some reason.. They're grading it as a movie, as they always do, and the general word-of-mouth is that it's not very good. A lot of people enjoyed it, but it's not something you can look back on and confidently say "That was a good movie."

What the fuck. Are you kidding me here? People wouldn't know a good movie from a bad movie if it slapped them in the face, which is why you get movies like Paul Blart and Madea Goes to Jail as the number 1 movies in America. Which is also why movies that get nominated for Best Picture's are rarely popular movies beforehand. General audiences want something that will entertain them, they expected this out of Watchmen and got something intelligent and thought provoking with little action. So they dismiss it as a bad movie. Word-of-mouth and box office success do not determine a films quality, I can't believe you actually think this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:41 pm 
A brother to dragons.

In regards to the 1st post, fuck them. If they think it's so "uncool" to like Watchmen, then they can fuck off. If I'm going to like a certain movie, then I'm going to like a certain movie and then that's the end of that. If I had a group of friends that would give me a lot of shit for liking it then they can leave me alone. Which is why my group has been a-ok with my Watchmen love and fandom.

SmilingSymmetry wrote:
1. Transformers was a good movie. Not deep at all, but good CGI + something we've never seen in theaters anymore + large scale + flashy action + some sort of moral code makes for a good movie to watch once in a while, and it was done well.

2. The Dark Knight was good. Not the best, but very good, and no, it was not because of Ledger's death. That brought in a couple extra viewers, but didn't change the movie, and pretty much everyone agreed it was good, critics and by word-of-mouth.

1. Yes. The mindless action movie can be a fun ride. Part of the enjoyment of movies are thrills given out by movies like Transformers or Die Hard.

2. Agreed.

3. Can elaborate that last sentence in the 3rd piece?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 pm 
So impotent.

I agree that mindless action can be fun, but in the case of Transformers, it was really difficult to follow the action...by that i mean who hit who, and when? How did devastator die? I mean i know about TFs and am a fan of it, but the translation from comic/cartoon to screen was horrid. In the sense that nothing matched at all. In the case of Watchmen, for the most part, i could tell who everyone was, without being told. every character felt like what he was in the novel.

If someone didnt point to the robot and say "that's ironhide" you'd have no clue as to who he was? the designs were more like bionicle, not transformers. The TFs were characters in the toon, not just big robots. They had discussions about humanity and about the consequences of leaving the planet while megatron was still there etc (this is all in the cartoon, and none of it made it to screen), hence my term Garbage.

Dark knight was a great movie, but no one knew that going it. it was made more public due to heath's death. that doesnt mean the movie didnt stand on its own merit. that was not what i meant to say! i meant that the buzz around it was much higher. most of the general public (and i have met SEVERAL people) didnt even see batman begins before they saw Dark knight. in fact, some were so misguided, they thought Batman Begins was the one with arnie!

but back to watchmen, the final victory comes in owning the bluray discs, and or speical edition dvds. if you loved watchmen then youll enjoy the dvds and all the extras, if you didnt like the movie, it doesnt change the novel.
the novel is still on your shelf and it still is the definitive watchmen. but now we have the movie too.

so its all good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:37 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Transformers (the story and action) was extremely easy to follow....it was nothing like Quantum of Solace, where half the quick shots in the car chases were of the inside of Bond's car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:35 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Not only is it not cool, it means you objectify women. YAY!!

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03 ... ex-sc.html

So you see, it's not just about the PENIS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:30 pm 

Quote:
Dark knight was a great movie, but no one knew that going it.

Bullshit. Everyone knew it was going to be a good movie because it was sequel to Batman begins. Even if Heath Ledger didn't die, it was still a fairly hyped movie.

Quote:
. most of the general public (and i have met SEVERAL people) didnt even see batman begins before they saw Dark knight. in fact, some were so misguided, they thought Batman Begins was the one with arnie!

1. Unless several means a couple million people, several does not equal most of the general public. And those several people that you know are retards

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:16 pm 
Minuteman

I went into the movie knowing next to nothing about the graphic novel except the title, which i used to browse past when I was kid in a comic book store. It was the weird yellow smiley face on the cover that sorta kept me away. The marvel books like X-men and Spider-man were more of my interest. Though I feel like I missed out on something fantastic because of my short-sightedness. I saw the commercials and the first thing that I thought was "Hey he looks like The Question" when I saw shots of Rorschach. That pretty much sealed the deal when actually going to see the movie. I loved the movie to death, honestly, and I get comments like "I heard that movie sucked" whenever I even mention seeing it to anyone. Kinda aggravates me to a degree. I dont go to see movies because other people think its cool or they liked it, nine times out of ten I see it because I find interest in it. The rare one time I go, is if my uncle or a friend that has similar taste in movies as I do, comment about it being good, then I usually find a trailer or some piece of info on the subject matter.

I find it sad that people will either totally dismiss something or keep quiet their love for something because idiots make it seem like they will be alienated for doing so. I was pleasantly surprised to see its opening weekend but knew it wouldnt last because it was riding out its run due to all the fans of the comic book, and any repeat business will be 2nd 3rd and even 4th viewings of said fans.

But I agree that the general public dont go for anything semi-intelligent. Its all about the flashy special effects and eye candy. The same way the majority of video game fans are more about the graphics (which ive dubbed Graphix Whores) than any decent storyline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next