WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/

It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2710
Page 1 of 8

Author:  stiggs [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:17 pm ]
Post subject:  It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I was at the gym this morning and I overhead four young guys (approximately 20-22) discussing the Watchmen film. The conversation began with an obviously critical "Dude, did you SEE Watchmen?" to which one guy responded "I walked out..worst movie I ever saw". The other two guys nodded in agreement and chimed in with their harsh and short sighted analysis often comparing it to The Dark Knight. Their discussion was riddled with words and phrases such as "Gay", "Blue Dong", "Stupid", "Boring" and "Pointless". At one point one of the guys reluctantly attempted to defend the movie by stating that "people who liked the comic book seemed to think it was great." One of them responded in an accusatory tone "Did YOU like it?" to which he responded a hearty "NO!". Granted, these guys are not exactly MENSA candidates but they do represent the general populace. Another one of their friends arrived shortly after the conversation ended and mentioned that he was planning on going to the movies this evening. As if deliberately planned all four of them said in unison "Don't go see Watchmen!". He exclaimed in a defensive tone "I wasn't planning on it" as if any association with the film would ostracize him from the group . I've already discussed my affinity for the film in another thread so I'm not going to rehash my defense of it here. It's just startling and somewhat distressing that most people, especially young people, are afraid to step outside the box and attempt to think for themselves. Unfortunately, the general sense I got from their conversation was that they believe that if you like Watchmen then there is something wrong with you. I understand that this has no bearing on those of us who are fans of the film and graphic novel. But the sub-standard box office tally along this kind of feedback will limit the risks that film studios are willing to take in the future. We will consistently be inundated with mindless crap as long as people are willing to accept spoon fed garbage such as the Madia franchise and Paul Blart: Mall Cop. God help us all...

Author:  Watcher [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

2 words.

Fuck 'em!

I would rather have an informed opinion and a modicum of inteligence than be "cool" anyday.

Author:  Bongwater [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

stiggs wrote:
I was at the gym this morning


I stopped reading right there, because I knew how it would turn out.

I don't go asking vegetarians who makes the best french dips.

Well, maybe I do, but it's usually by accident. :)

Author:  Ikke av flesk [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Awh shit, its not cool? :(

Yeah..yeah... I never thought it was any good....

Author:  timma360 [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I got a bunch of people in my school into watchmen the ones that read the book loved it. The ones that went to see it thinking it was a superhero film thought it was gay. They complained about the ending, music, and blue shlong. The only things they like is the sex and action.

Author:  BlackDoomShadow [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Breaking news: Study shows stupid people don't like smart movies; experts shocked.

Author:  SkaOreo [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
Breaking news: Study shows stupid people don't like smart movies; experts shocked.

WHAT??? BUT THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

Author:  W J Kovacs [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I was talking to a guy at school today. He said it was a good movie but really slow? I can't really see that though...

']['

Author:  swedishskinjerr [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Meh. Personally, I loved the pacing and the "comic" feel of the scenes switching.

Author:  Pagliacci [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Heh, reminds me of this:

http://www.gtagaming.com/forums/showpos ... ostcount=4

Author:  Yojimbo [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

The unfortunate fact is that, like Dune before it, those who read the book first get far more out of the movie than someone who is coming to Watchmen fresh, for very similar reasons. (Of course, you practically needed a scorecard to keep track of the various characters moving back and forth over Arrakis and to understand how they related to each other.)

Color me unsurprised that a bunch of muscleheads didn't like the movie. (No offense, Stiggs...)

Author:  Aydin [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Yeah, the general audience is a dick. It's not just for Watchmen, they also don't like books, classic movies/music, and literally anything that's "smart" or anything that requires you to think. They go around acting cool and saying everything's gay except them, their idol is 50 cent, they think the best movie of all time is The Dark Knight, and they read Paris Hilton news.

So I'd say leave these fools alone with their rotten minds. These are the same people who went to see Borat 5 times in the theatre. That says it all.

Author:  SmilingSymmetry [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I have a feeling that you were one of these people.

Author:  stiggs [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Bongwater wrote:
stiggs wrote:
I was at the gym this morning


I stopped reading right there, because I knew how it would turn out.


Yojimbo wrote:

Color me unsurprised that a bunch of muscleheads didn't like the movie. (No offense, Stiggs...)



Guys, some of your responses are as short -sighted as those of the individuals that I quoted in the original post. I'm not defending their poor analysis of the film but to say "these people are dumb" is asinine and unfair way to critique their reaction to Watchmen. Each one of the people that I mentioned is College Educated and typically capable of holding a succinct conversation on any number of topics . I graduated Summa Cum Laude from one of the most prestigious schools in the country and I also work out every day. Someone explain to me how my commitment to physical fitness invalidates my opinion. Some of your prejudiced responses serve only to validate my point that people tend to respond in a way that satisfies a certain expecation within a forum.

I was trying to get across the message that if something is considered "uncool" then most people will avoid expressing their true opinion and "jump on the bandwagon" of popular belief lest they be singled out for having a different set of values than the norm. Instead of forming their own thoughts people will just say what they think is the acceptable response within that peer group (Like saying people who work out are dumb). Unfortunately, Watchmen seems to have fallen victim to this type of hollow categorization and may explain why the film is suffering at the box office. This is a mind-set that seems to be shared by a large percentage of the General Populace and may eventually shape future projects in the respected medium.

Author:  BlackDoomShadow [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

Oh, right, they're college educated. Suddenly their short-sighted and narrow-minded opinion on a work of fiction is more valid.

Author:  diego1235467 [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I'm still in high school, and I guarantee that my intellectual development is far beyon those guys'.
I'm gonna go ahead and say they're stupid, as most people these days seem to be :D

Author:  Rorshack101 [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

stiggs wrote:
I was at the gym this morning and I overhead four young guys (approximately 20-22) discussing the Watchmen film. The conversation began with an obviously critical "Dude, did you SEE Watchmen?" to which one guy responded "I walked out..worst movie I ever saw". The other two guys nodded in agreement and chimed in with their harsh and short sighted analysis often comparing it to The Dark Knight. Their discussion was riddled with words and phrases such as "Gay", "Blue Dong", "Stupid", "Boring" and "Pointless". At one point one of the guys reluctantly attempted to defend the movie by stating that "people who liked the comic book seemed to think it was great." One of them responded in an accusatory tone "Did YOU like it?" to which he responded a hearty "NO!". Granted, these guys are not exactly MENSA candidates but they do represent the general populace. Another one of their friends arrived shortly after the conversation ended and mentioned that he was planning on going to the movies this evening. As if deliberately planned all four of them said in unison "Don't go see Watchmen!". He exclaimed in a defensive tone "I wasn't planning on it" as if any association with the film would ostracize him from the group . I've already discussed my affinity for the film in another thread so I'm not going to rehash my defense of it here. It's just startling and somewhat distressing that most people, especially young people, are afraid to step outside the box and attempt to think for themselves. Unfortunately, the general sense I got from their conversation was that they believe that if you like Watchmen then there is something wrong with you. I understand that this has no bearing on those of us who are fans of the film and graphic novel. But the sub-standard box office tally along this kind of feedback will limit the risks that film studios are willing to take in the future. We will consistently be inundated with mindless crap as long as people are willing to accept spoon fed garbage such as the Madia franchise and Paul Blart: Mall Cop. God help us all...


And obviously, these morons who said "DON'T see Watchmen" probably are the type of people who thought Paul Blart was "hilarious". I've got 2 words for anyone of this type, be they internet trolls or otherwise: You're retarded. (Ok, that might've been 3 words, but whatever) I've seen Paul Blart along with with Watchmen. THERE IS NOT GODDAMN COMPARISON! Watchmen was awesome (i'd say it was on par with The Dark Knight, but for different reasons, so so don't bash me for saying that), while Paul freaking Blart was a shameless rip-off of the first Die Hard movie with a change in setting, villains that are no where as smart as Hans Gruber's goons from said ripped-off movie, and Doug from King of Queens in a fat suit doing ridiculous attempts at being stealthy or otherwise (as CONSTANTLY shown in the commercials). That and there was some dude who sounded like Fez from That 70's shows doing a "peanut-Blart-and-jelly" pun that's just plain BAD. Seriously, guys, if I see anyone who even SAYS either that Watchmen sucked or that Paul Blart was a "good movie" or "funny", i will seriously go "Epic Fail" and "O Rly?"-type pic crazy on your butts!!! Got it? Good.

Now, LET'S GET IT ON!

Author:  stiggs [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
Oh, right, they're college educated. Suddenly their short-sighted and narrow-minded opinion on a work of fiction is more valid.


Again...I'm NOT defending these guys. I'm just trying to fill out the details of the situation to avoid unnecessarily classifying these individuals as “dumb jocks". Their opinion seems to represent that of the general populace. It’s not the first time that I’ve heard Watchmen been described in that manner. Please read my posts carefully to understand my position.

My central point of contention is that peer pressure to conform to popular opinion is one the main factors in Watchmen’s box office failure. It’s just not “cool” in certain circles (such as the important male 18-25 demographic) to admit that you like the film. If you don’t agree then try saying “I really liked Brokeback Mountain” in a room full of guys and see how many agree with you.

Author:  Biosynth [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I couldn't give a rat's ass if some 20 year old thinks that a movie I like is cool or not. I wasn't concerned with that in High School, and I'm not concerned with that now. I like what I like. I pity them that they have such a desperate need to fit in.

Having said that, I'm really sorry that young people these days find deep movies and other things that require thinking to be uncool. I'm ok if someone didn't like the movie or the book, I'm not ok with ripping it apart just because it's cool to do so. It happens in all kinds of fandoms. I guess it's a way to bond. That kind of bonding I can do without.

I could go on about the use of the words "Gay" and "Retard" to describe things disapprovingly, but I might just table that for now. I just find it small minded.

Author:  DanDigital [ Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It is NOT "Cool" to like the Watchmen movie

I'd imagine that conversation in the gym went something like this...

"What was with that naked blue guy? How gay is that?"

"So gay!"

"Yeah anyone who likes Watchmen is gay because there's a penis in it."

"Totally."

"Hey Johnny can you spot me on this bench press?"

"Naw man me and Tommy gotta hit the showers."

Page 1 of 8 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/