WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I get the comparison between Kubrick's films and Watchmen but seriously, a much more fitting comparison is Blade Runner, with the editing troubles and existing versions above all else that elevate the comparisons.

The same can be said for other films that could be considered polarizing when they released such as Brazil or Fight Club. That form of treatment wasn't exclusive to Kubrick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:00 pm 
So impotent.

No the movie was overrated. The comparison between the movie's ending and the gn's is futile and unsupportable. Everyone seems to forget that Ozymandias kidnapped scientists, an avant-garde musician from jamaica, an abstract artist and Mark Shea the horror writer to create the monster. The alien had a brain cloned from a psychic (have to check for name) so that when it died in New York due to the trauma caused by transportation it would send out a psychic shock wave, imposing a myriad of horrible sounds, and visions meant to inspire fear and sadness around the world. Veidt claimed that people would have nightmares for decades to come. People wouldn't know why but the event in New York would make them terrified, miserable and willing to support world peace. Read the g.n. again this is a big part.

Post subject: Forget? Not me...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:00 pm 
New Frontiersman

...that it's more accurate to actually describe Veidt as having duped all those scientists and artists (including Max Shea) into working for him on what they believed to be a secret movie project as opposed to having kidnapped them.

The shock wave engineered from the stolen brain of psychic Robert Deschaines implanted hideous mental images and sounds created by the aforementioned artistic types specifically to reinforce the existence of a threatening alien world; people so affected therefore knew exactly full well why the event in New York was making them terrified. It was this manufactured exposure to a faux alien homeworld and the pervading fear of further indiscriminate attack by an extra-dimensional enemy that would convince the two superpowers to unite against a perceived otherworldly common foe as opposed to concentrating their efforts into eliminating each other. Surely the vast majority of the ordinary global populace would naturally support so-called 'world peace' in any event; it was their political and military leaders (the true watchmen) that needed persuading to actually affect meaningful change.

And I didn't have to read the 'g.n.' again, either! Welcome to the boards, incidentally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 pm 
The Watcher

damthesquares wrote:
No the movie was overrated. The comparison between the movie's ending and the gn's is futile and unsupportable. Everyone seems to forget that Ozymandias kidnapped scientists, an avant-garde musician from jamaica, an abstract artist and Mark Shea the horror writer to create the monster. The alien had a brain cloned from a psychic (have to check for name) so that when it died in New York due to the trauma caused by transportation it would send out a psychic shock wave, imposing a myriad of horrible sounds, and visions meant to inspire fear and sadness around the world. Veidt claimed that people would have nightmares for decades to come. People wouldn't know why but the event in New York would make them terrified, miserable and willing to support world peace. Read the g.n. again this is a big part.

I don't think it was overrated. The film really didn't do that well. It received mixed reviews by audiences and critics alike and earned mediocre box office totals.

As far as being received by Watchmen fans, I think - this forum aside - it was received fairly well with most liking and some loving the film. It was also my impression those those fans that overwhelmingly preferred the ending as presented in the graphic novel felt that the changed movie ending worked on its own merits even if it wasn't as strong.

And, also welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 pm 
Tired of Earth.

damthesquares wrote:
Everyone seems to forget that Ozymandias kidnapped scientists, an avant-garde musician from jamaica, an abstract artist and Mark Shea the horror writer to create the monster.

Pretty sure they were all told it was a movie and they came willingly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:29 pm 
New Frontiersman

Was Linette Paley Jamaican? The New Frontiersman describes all of the missing notables collectively as being 'Talented and prominent Americans'... although Hira Manish is obviously Indian by ethnic origin. And on that subject, she is a surrealist painter as opposed to being an abstractionist. Max Shea I mentioned yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 pm 
The Watcher

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Was Linette Paley Jamaican? The New Frontiersman describes all of the missing notables collectively as being 'Talented and prominent Americans'... although Hira Manish is obviously Indian by ethnic origin. And on that subject, she is a surrealist painter as opposed to being an abstractionist. Max Shea I mentioned yesterday.

I read it, sir. I agreed, so no need to comment. Plus a bit off point.

Yes, the changed ending was controversial and not received well by many fans, however, what does this have to do whether the movies was overrated/underrated?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

I actually liked the ending in the movie and I love the movie on the whole.
I don't feel the TC is up to snuff anymore though. Too much left out.

In general I only care what fans think anymore. I don't think it was underrated or overrated.
It is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am 
So impotent.

I think that the reason that I love the Directors Cut so much is because it is able to ‘stand on its own’, it does not need to rush anything to tell a story. It would be crazy to assume that you can incorporate such a graphic novel in a 3-hour movie though. I think it is a seriously underrated classic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:03 pm 
Minuteman

I watched it when it came out and didnt really like it nor understood it. But i was young back then and now when im 19, almost 20 i might look it in another way. Should i give it another chance ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:40 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Read the graphic novel, watch the movie again, and be sure to let us know what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:46 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Be sure to watch either the Director's Cut or the Ultimate Cut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm 
Tired of Earth.

and then the wcm cut if you can get your hands on it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 pm 
Minuteman

Godziller66 wrote:

Whats the difference ? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:27 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Deize wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Whats the difference ? :roll:

The director's cut has lots of new scenes, and overall feels like a more complete experience.

The Ultimate Cut is honestly more for completionists. It edits the animated 'Tales of the Black Freighter' back into the movie as it appeared in the comics.
It's a fun, if not overly long cut, but it's far from the essential version (in my opinion).

I'd stick with the director's cut. If you end up loving it, then you might want to seek out the Ultimate Cut, and if you want even more, forumites here have produced their own cut of the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:52 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

WJK wrote:
and then the wcm cut if you can get your hands on it

WCM Cut