WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Two years later...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:20 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Might as well give this its own thread. I mean, what else is there to talk about these days? ;)

Watchmen hit theaters two years ago today. Here are a couple questions to ponder:

1. Has your opinion of the film changed at all over the last two years?

2. I think we were all hoping the film would have a lasting impact on the superhero film genre, or at least stand out in people's minds as something different. Do you think that has happened at all? Has the film been forgotten?

3. Could Adrian be a replicant?

Post subject: Re: Two years later...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm 
The Watcher

I feel WB thinks it made a positive impact. Why else would they be tagging Sucker Punch with "From the director of Watchmen and 300?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:24 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

This sure as hell was an underrated movie.

And I really don't think that the general population would've enjoyed it more if they had gotten the DC or the UC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
This sure as hell was an underrated movie.

And I really don't think that the general population would've enjoyed it more if they had gotten the DC or the UC.

Pretty much what this fellow said. I agree that the Dc could have gotten a much better general attitude, but Snyder, I think, wasn't as concerned with the average joes and janes as he was the fanboys, so I think all in all the movie was a success and I still am pleased with the finished product.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:19 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

My opinion of the film hasn't really changed at all, I think it's great, but I'm not sure if it's actually had a significant impact on superhero movies. I'm also not sure if it's stuck out in the general public's mind, but I'd like to think that a lot of people remember it as being a very different type of movie. Different is good, in my book. I'm fairly confident that it's on its way to being a cult classic, but only time will tell for sure.

Also, Adrian's definitely a replicant. Humans aren't that sickeningly pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:24 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Every time I watch the film I'm more impressed. That's where I stand these days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Pretty much what this fellow said. I agree that the Dc could have gotten a much better general attitude, but Snyder, I think, wasn't as concerned with the average joes and janes as he was the fanboys, so I think all in all the movie was a success and I still am pleased with the finished product.

I'm glad because Snyder is a guy that has proven twice already that he respects the source material of whatever he is adapting, exceptuating the S.Q.U.I.D. perhaps.

That said, could there have been a way to sell this movie to the average joes and janes ? I'm still amazed at how the original comic was a comercial success !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:27 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
That said, could there have been a way to sell this movie to the average joes and janes ? I'm still amazed at how the original comic was a comercial success !

They tried.

1. They put the teaser in front of The Dark Knight. Great move, as people responded with glee to it (for example, my sister and I were more hyped for Watchmen than The Dark Knight, it's also kinda related to me joining this forum).
2. They tried to market it as a superhero/action movie, not a drama. Plus, the good ol' "Heavy metal beat set to action scenes" trailer music, which has become more noticeable in trailers after Watchmen did it (not saying they started, but only that it's become more frequent now), was used (although Muse isn't heavy metal, it was still the same idea).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 am 

1. I don't think my opinion has changed much. I still view the TC as interesting but choppy. The DC is just as interesting, but more satisfying. The UC is a mess.
It's a rather pale adaptation, but works pretty well as a stand-alone film.

2. It's not the next Blade Runner. It's not revolutionary, it's not going to have much effect (if any) on the genre. I doubt it will be remembered much in 20 years. It's just an interesting film, that's all. And that's okay.

3. Trick question! German-Adrian is human, and American-Adrian is a replicant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 am 
Minuteman

Such a great movie. One of those movies that when I see it on cable I'll say to myself "let me just watch a few minutes" and then the next thing I know I've watched it to the credits.

In fact it was such a great work that I still check on a Watchmen fan site two years later to see if anything new is written about it!

Sadly, I don't think it will stand the test of time with the general movie-going audience. If you mention the movie Watchmen many people in the room won't know what movie you're talking about. It was a comic book movie that demanded attention while watching it and unfortunately some people go to the theater just to see stuff blow up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

HarryKeogh wrote:
Sadly, I don't think it will stand the test of time with the general movie-going audience. If you mention the movie Watchmen many people in the room won't know what movie you're talking about.

Similarly, though, if you mention Blade Runner, a lot of people won't know what you're talking about.

Just sayin'. That's why it's a cult classic as opposed to something more popular like Jaws or Star Wars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 am 

ROR-SHACK wrote:
It's not the next Blade Runner.

And thank god it isn't, if it was, it would be one of the most overrated movies ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

feliciano182 wrote:
ROR-SHACK wrote:
It's not the next Blade Runner.

And thank god it isn't, if it was, it would be one of the most overrated movies ever made.

What's your beef with Blade Runner?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 am 

HarryKeogh wrote:
If you mention the movie Watchmen many people in the room won't know what movie you're talking about.

Or, if they do, it'll be "oh, you mean the movie with the penis? Ewwwwww yucky!"

feliciano182 wrote:

By "it's not the next Blade Runner," I meant: It isn't going to be re-discovered in a few years and become a classic, and be hugely influential on its genre. It also won't have a large cult following (at least, nowhere near as big as BR)

... Blade Runner is a fantastic film. The first time I saw it, I found it intriguing but didn't see what all the fuss was about. Upon repeat viewings, I think I understand why people freak out about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 pm 

ROR-SHACK wrote:
Blade Runner is a fantastic film. The first time I saw it, I found it intriguing but didn't see what all the fuss was about. Upon repeat viewings, I think I understand why people freak out about it.

Maybe I just have to give it another chance, I've only seen it once, and at that time I thought it was great philosopical questioning stuck in a bad story, with a snail slow pacing and with several filler scenes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
ROR-SHACK wrote:
Blade Runner is a fantastic film. The first time I saw it, I found it intriguing but didn't see what all the fuss was about. Upon repeat viewings, I think I understand why people freak out about it.

Maybe I just have to give it another chance, I've only seen it once, and at that time I thought it was great philosopical questioning stuck in a bad story, with a snail slow pacing and with several filler scenes.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Watchmen did develop a following like Blade Runner, not a Star Wars or anything like that, but a cult following that keeps it relevant even though it wasn't the success the studios wanted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
ROR-SHACK wrote:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Watchmen did develop a following like Blade Runner, not a Star Wars or anything like that, but a cult following that keeps it relevant even though it wasn't the success the studios wanted

Yeah there will be a cult following like that. They will be called "Comic Book Readers"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:16 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Dude, I have hardly noticed its been two years!
I love the movie, it started me on a trend of movie watching that has greatly and positively impacted and affected my creative directions as an aspiring filmmaker.
I think its definately THERE in my mind, few more views and it may even make my top ten.

I almost always bring up watchmen to people I meet, (in due course in the conversation of course.)
and they're responses can be summarized into three generic replies:
-"Ew. Blue penis."
-"That movie was odd, slow, but sorta cool... i guess."
-"That movie was sick, depraved and depressing. Why what about it?"

Fuck the closeminded public, Watchmen was epic in every way that mattered.

I think it definately changed the superhero movie genre, when reviers or bloggers (the informed ones) talk about "faithful adaptions" and "the way it should be done" INSTANTLY they mention Watchmen.
And since movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Green Lantern, The Avengers, TDK Rises, et cetera are coming out and creating mass intrest in comic movies...
Watchmen will be the lil guy waving in the backround:
"Hey there... yep, i'm here. I got it right. I was faithful."
People notice this.

Its the ruler by which all direct or obscure superhero/comic adaptions will be measured for years to come.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 am 

NiteOwl wrote:
I love the movie, it started me on a trend of movie watching that has greatly and positively impacted and affected my creative directions as an aspiring filmmaker.
I think its definately THERE in my mind, few more views and it may even make my top ten.

I almost always bring up watchmen to people I meet, (in due course in the conversation of course.)
-"Ew. Blue penis."

I think it definately changed the superhero movie genre, when reviers or bloggers (the informed ones) talk about "faithful adaptions" and "the way it should be done" INSTANTLY they mention Watchmen.
And since movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Green Lantern, The Avengers, TDK Rises, et cetera are coming out and creating mass intrest in comic movies...
People notice this.

Its the ruler by which all direct or obscure superhero/comic adaptions will be measured for years to come.

The three most popular opinions I hear about Watchmen are:
-"It was a complete and utter turd compared to the book."
-"It was pretty cool, but I've never read the book"
-"Watchmen? Never heard of it."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Smutty wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

-"Ew. Blue penis."

People notice this.

The three most popular opinions I hear about Watchmen are:
-"It was a complete and utter turd compared to the book."
-"It was pretty cool, but I've never read the book"
-"Watchmen? Never heard of it."

You dont have to co-exist with americans goddamit. At least not in the same scale that i do.
THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next