WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Two years later...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Godziller66 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
But I adore the Bernie scenes - for me they add a great deal to the emotional impact of the ending.

I might be inclined to see the Ultimate Cut no more than ever, I had this exact same feeling when reading the book the first time.

W's.

They can change the hole meaning of a post.

They sure can :lol:, I edited it noW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

atchmen is a onderful film, hatever cut you atch. But I ill insist that the CM is ithout doubt the inner for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Where can I find this wonderful WCM cut that you all speak so high of?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:50 pm 
New Frontiersman

I second that. I've never seen it either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Alas, until the day when creativity isn't easily labelled piracy (and let's face it that day isn't any time soon), it's not available on the net.

The best I can do is offer the project files, but even then it'd take time to put it all back together locally. I don't really recommend it - I never managed to sort out reasonable file sizes and pesky interlacing issues when burning to DVD. Quality's a bit lower than DVD too.

Someday I'll try to get an HD version together on FCP.

But I'm glad you're interested. It was a terrific project that lots of us contributed to. In a nutshell, it was the Director's Cut with the Bernie scenes added, but we tweaked some things here and there - most notably (at the suggestion of TheMovieDude) rearranging the post-Dr M exile scenes, which I feel added a wonderful degree of dramatic tension.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

haha I have FCP and I'm on mac so I guess I'll haft to keep an eye out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:29 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

This thread can probably be renamed... happy 3 year anniversary guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:44 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Hehe

Haven't watched the movie since it came out. Damn near ruined the cinema for me for a while. That ending. Brrrr. /shudders

I spoke to a friend who disliked the movie. I couldn't even be bothered to ask him why. The terrible acting in the first few moments of the movie puts the mockers on the whole proceedings.

There is one thing about converting a comic to the silver screen, another about making a good film. Watchmen has a great story to tell. It could have been converted in a number of ways. The version we got was flawed due to the angle – lifting over some scenes but tweaking others and down right fucking up the power of the comic's ending.

My son is curious about looking at the Blu-Ray of the TC. (No way am I hunting down a more exotic version). I might even watch it again. Stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:09 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Soupdragon wrote:
My son is curious about looking at the Blu-Ray of the TC. (No way am I hunting down a more exotic version). I might even watch it again. Stranger things have happened.

Exotic?
The other cuts of Watchmen aren't 'more exotic' (if I'm understanding you right) instead they're increasingly faithful to the comic. And definately worth seeing. Even if you didn't like the movie the first time around.
They're not those cheap "UNRATED EDITIONS!" with extra nudity and gore.
In fact the extra scenes simply expand on certain characters, and flesh out plotlines and story development.
Stuff that I won't watch it without now.
The TC feels like a hackjob in comparison.
I don't know how old your son is, but if he's already seen it and is curious enough to see it again, and you're planning on joining him, for your OWN sake, watch the Director's Cut at LEAST.
The runtime on the Ultimate Cut can be a bit intimidating, which is my all around prefered cut, but at least try the DC.
Its, simply put, a better movie. Period.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:16 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

What is the Ultimate Cut and Director's cut different from? How long are each of them? I really have been wanting to see the ultimate cut for awhile now. Might get it soon.

I only have the theatrical version at the moment, and without the extra scenes it really bugs me.

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:47 pm 

Nemesis x88 wrote:
What is the Ultimate Cut and Director's cut different from? How long are each of them? I really have been wanting to see the ultimate cut for awhile now. Might get it soon.

I only have the theatrical version at the moment, and without the extra scenes it really bugs me.

The Ultimate Cut includes everything added in the DC AND, throughout the movie, the 'Tales of the Black Freighter'
which is the comic within the comic.
it serves allegorical purposes about Adrian, his plan, and what he feels he must do.
(at least thats what I get from it)
I thiiiink it may have a short scene or two that the DC doesnt have but alas.
Its 215 minutes.

The director's cut is 186 minutes and has notable scenes like Hollis Mason's Demise (which is now one of my favorite scenes in the movie) and it has the mars scene between Jon and Laurie extended. (just a couple notable ones, not all mind you)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

NiteOwl wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

The Ultimate Cut includes everything added in the DC AND, throughout the movie, the 'Tales of the Black Freighter'
which is the comic within the comic.
it serves allegorical purposes about Adrian, his plan, and what he feels he must do.
(at least thats what I get from it)
I thiiiink it may have a short scene or two that the DC doesnt have but alas.
Its 215 minutes.

The director's cut is 186 minutes and has notable scenes like Hollis Mason's Demise (which is now one of my favorite scenes in the movie) and it has the mars scene between Jon and Laurie extended. (just a couple notable ones, not all mind you)

Yeah, I understand. What I don't understand, is this "Black Freighter" stuff. I'm thinking about watching the Ultimate cut online instead of going out and looking for it.

With that being said, I actually am really glad I saw the Director's cut first. I don't understand why they didn't add those scenes in the TC? Was there this edition because he felt that the fans needed these scenes or what?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:15 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Nemesis x88 wrote:
Yeah, I understand. What I don't understand, is this "Black Freighter" stuff. I'm thinking about watching the Ultimate cut online instead of going out and looking for it.

Did you finish the comic yet?

Nemesis x88 wrote:
With that being said, I actually am really glad I saw the Director's cut first. I don't understand why they didn't add those scenes in the TC? Was there this edition because he felt that the fans needed these scenes or what?

The theatrical release was trimmed down just because of theatrical run time limitations and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:25 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Godziller66 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

Did you finish the comic yet?

Nemesis x88 wrote:

The theatrical release was trimmed down just because of theatrical run time limitations and stuff.

No. Got to chapter 10. It's actually a hard book to read lol, I tried laying down and reading, sitting up, at a table, it's difficult because its big lol. I usually only read books at school. But, since I don't go to school anymore idk what to do hahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Don't watch the ultimate cut until you have read the book all the way through, maybe even skim it again once you've finished.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:01 am 

Don't watch the ultimate cut until you have read the book all the way through, maybe even skim it again once you've finished.

good advice.
I'd read the book 3 times before I saw it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 am 

NiteOwl wrote:

good advice.

that would be even better.

the ultimate cut was never intended for mere fans of the movie, it was really just a gift to fans of the book, stick to the directors cut until you really get the book, or else you wont get the UC, and it'll be a waste of your time.
I'd seen the TC twice, the DC twice, read the book twice, watched the motion comic once and watched the black freighter on its own before I ever saw the UC.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

NiteOwl wrote:

good advice.

that would be even better.

the ultimate cut was never intended for mere fans of the movie, it was really just a gift to fans of the book, stick to the directors cut until you really get the book, or else you wont get the UC, and it'll be a waste of your time.
I'd seen the TC twice, the DC twice, read the book twice, watched the motion comic once and watched the black freighter on its own before I ever saw the UC.

I definitely will then. I've seen the Director's cut twice, TC atleast 4 times and am two chapters away from finishing the book. I was debating whether or not to rent the black freighter. Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm 

Fair enough, erm I'm not sure if it's worth renting, it's up to you, I possibly enjoy it more as a stand alone animation, and seeing it in full before hand may help you get to grips with it, but I can imagine watching the sequences for the first time as part of the movie could be good.

Actually, I think watch the ultimate cut, and then if you like the black freighter, you can rent it to see it on it's own after.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:42 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Keep in mind though that the Black Freighter dvd also has the Under The Hood mockumentary on it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next