WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Easter Eggs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:13 am 
Minuteman

This is a thread for pointing out easter eggs and references to things that were changed. I don't know if this is a big enough subject to warrant a topic, but I'm sure there are ones that I didn't catch. Here's the ones I noticed.

1. On Veidt's computer at his New York building, there is a folder titled "Boys". This is a reference to Rorschach's suspisons of Veidt being gay in the GN.

2. After Veidt reveals he already set his plan in motion 35 minutes ago, during the scene showing Veidt's machine operating, computer monitors can be seen that say "S.Q.U.I.D. initializing." This is a reference to Veidt's plan in the GN.

3. After returning to New York after Veidt's plan, Laurie tells Dan that Jon always says "Nothing ever ends." In the GN, Jon says this to Veidt when he asks him if in the end he made the right choice.

So what did you guys notice?

EDIT: Changed the topic to just be about Easter Eggs in general.

Last edited by Taku128 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:26 am 
Alien Squid Monster

In the final scene with Laurie,Dan,and Sally,Dan is wearing a black shirt with brown pants.thets what he wore in "A brother to dragons" most of the time(not as Nite-owl)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 am 
Minuteman

I remembered another Easter Egg that I forgot when I made my first post.

In the fight scene between the Knot Tops, Dan, and Laurie, one of the Top Knots has the V for Vendetta symbol on his shirt. V for Vendetta is another graphic novel written by Alan Moore.

EDIT: After seeing it a second time, it's actually an upside down Anarchy symbol. :(

Last edited by Taku128 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 am 
Alien Squid Monster

This is not exactly an easter egg but did anyone else found the Snyder's solution to Veidt pushing the button elegant? A scene devoted to that would be too suspicious, unlike the GN.

So you just see a brief flash from Karnak's windows while the camera zooms out from Archie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:26 am 
Minuteman

Not really a Easter Egg per say... but the whole look/idea of the War Room is homage to "Dr. Strangelove".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:28 am 
Minuteman

Hooded Justice's foreign accent is a reference to his speculated identity in the comics, an East German circus strongman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:32 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Revengeance wrote:
Hooded Justice's foreign accent is a reference to his speculated identity in the comics, an East German circus strongman.

ya i loved that :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 am 
Vigilante

This isn't a reference to the GN at all, but when The Comedian throws his coffee cup at the door and it hits the numbers. The 9 is broken off and it read "300".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Would the US/Russia Accord and "Millenium" billboards at the end during that fantastic shot of New York rebuilding count as "Easter Eggs"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:16 pm 
So impotent.

Near the end when Veidt destroys NYC. In the scene when Malcolm Long's briefcase opens up and the blot tests spill out, the briefcase combination begins with 300.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm 
Vigilante

I don't know if this counts as an easter egg, but I like how Veidt said "I'm not a comic book villain." Oh, irony. (at least insofar as you think he really is a villain)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:48 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

I love this bit:

Hollis' home has all these clippings and photos of him! It's ALL Nite Owl-related! But there's only one thing out of place, which is ONE LONE picture of Vargas Sally Jupiter framed on the wall. In Sally's Californian home, there's all these awards and clippings and photos of herself. And then there's ONE LONE photo of Hollis Mason.

That just made me go, "D'AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW'SQQUEEEEEEEEEEEEAAKKKKKK!!" It really spoke VOLUMES about their relationship without saying a word about it! I always believed those two were sweet on each other. It makes the phone call have more emotional resonance!

MUST. SEE. DIRECTOR'S. CUUTTTTTTT! ARGHHHHHH!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 pm 
Vigilante

After dropping off the people they saved from the fire, Laurie is shown putting paper coffee cups back into a shelf on board Archie..

Last edited by zeromager on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:11 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

zeromager wrote:
After dropping off the people they saved from the fire, Laurie is shown putting paper coffee cups back into a shelf on board Archie..
OH! I wanted that scene extended to have them offering the entire Nite Owl coffee bit! That would have been AWESSOME! ARGH. Directot's Cut. NOOOOW!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:12 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

zeromager wrote:

Man, I really hoped to see them serving coffee and playing music to the tenement tenants!

of life to the decoding of the undulation of things."
-Nabokov, "Signs and Symbols"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:20 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Sort of a reference to Veidt's hatred of Blake:

During the opening fight, Veidt wrestles Blake's pistol away from him, and he could have easily shot him and ended it there, but you see him deliberately toss it aside because he wants to continue giving Blake the beating he deserves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:21 pm 
Vigilante

DogWithHeadSplitOpen wrote:
zeromager wrote:
OH! I wanted that scene extended to have them offering the entire Nite Owl coffee bit! That would have been AWESSOME! ARGH. Directot's Cut. NOOOOW!

Tell me about it. The DVD will be top notch. Watchmen aside, Zack's Dawn of the Dead DVD not only had a great directors cut, but some of the best special features I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 pm 
So impotent.

I didn't catch this, but I read on the internet today that the American flag on Blake's coffin had 51 stars (Vietnam).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:24 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

zeromager wrote:
DogWithHeadSplitOpen wrote:
zeromager wrote:
Tell me about it. The DVD will be top notch. Watchmen aside, Zack's Dawn of the Dead DVD not only had a great directors cut, but some of the best special features I've ever seen.
Really? Oh, 1910 is just SOOOO FAR AWAY... (shakes fist)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:25 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Happy Harry wrote:
I didn't catch this, but I read on the internet today that the American flag on Blake's coffin had 51 stars (Vietnam).
Oddly enough, I noticed that right off in the trailers, lol!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next