WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10 am 
Vigilante

NiteOwl wrote:
WJK wrote:
^ditto, except the british part.

No you're just viking. Irish. Scottish. German. Norweigian. African.
And more.

Thanks for your welcomes guys, much obliged. :lol:

It's funny that you say that because I'm actually only half "British"- my dad's from the Republic of Ireland (sounds so weird saying that, I usually just say Ireland!) and 'cause I live in the North of England, I'm technically half Celt and then Viking, Anglo-Saxon and probably more.

That kind of explains my name too. It's a play on my actual last name (which is ridiculously difficult for people to grasp so O'Cinnamonbun is a lot easier) :)

So yeah. Watchmen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am 
The Watcher

Yes, good to have a new member. Welcome aboard! Enjoy the insanity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 am 
Vigilante

I'm feeling it.

Post subject: England Prevails
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 pm 
New Frontiersman

Awesome, a new member that isn't a spam bot, and British! I thought I'd be a alone forever since AYB left.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

*ahem*

Last edited by Writer Of Wrongs on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: England Prevails
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm 
Vigilante

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Awesome, a new member that isn't a spam bot, and British! I thought I'd be a alone forever since AYB left.

*ahem*

And yes, welcome Ms. Bun, please do enjoy!

Need some steak for those kidneys? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:48 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by Writer Of Wrongs on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: England Prevails
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

*ahem*

And yes, welcome Ms. Bun, please do enjoy!

seem, no you are not chopped liver, I just didn't know you were British....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 pm 
Vigilante

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Liver, actually (of the chopped variety, naturally)... but you sure can't beat a good old snake 'n' pygmy pie. Luvverly!

Pahahaha, I literally JUST read the subject line there.. ooh Matron!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 am 
New Frontiersman

Fellow Brit here also. Not sure I count though because I'm not around much. And I'm an obnoxious bastard - especially when attacked.

A belated welcome anyway, Leah.

I too find TDK to be extremely overrated with only Ledger's performance worthy of any note. To bring this thread bang-up to date, I also found TDKR to be even MORE empty. Both films seem to be reaching for all sorts of huge themes and messages, and an intellectual grandeur neither can come close to attaining.

What disappointed me about Watchmen was that all those themes, messages and ideas were there for the grabbing in the GN, and Snyder failed to get most of them over in the film.

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Satan's Slut wrote:
I too find TDK to be extremely overrated with only Ledger's performance worthy of any note. To bring this thread bang-up to date, I also found TDKR to be even MORE empty. Both films seem to be reaching for all sorts of huge themes and messages, and an intellectual grandeur neither can come close to attaining.

You acknowledge both films are "reaching for all sorts of huge themes and messages", and you find absolutely no merit on that ?

Satan's Slut wrote:
What disappointed me about Watchmen was that all those themes, messages and ideas were there for the grabbing in the GN, and Snyder failed to get most of them over in the film.

Last time I saw you around these forums you were complaining that your biggest problem with Watchmen was that the action scenes were what diminished the film's quality overall.

Are you adding that to your overall criticism ? Or you can't make up your mind ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:44 am 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

You acknowledge both films are "reaching for all sorts of huge themes and messages", and you find absolutely no merit on that ?

That they attempt to tackle them? Yeah, whatever - they can have a point for effort; still doesn't make them entertaining films, IMO.

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

Last time I saw you around these forums you were complaining that your biggest problem with Watchmen was that the action scenes were what diminished the film's quality overall.

Are you adding that to your overall criticism ? Or you can't make up your mind ?

I'm talking about getting across themes, messages and ideas, in this thread. You'll note that the part of my quote I have bolded, doesn't marry up with the part of yours that I have bolded.

My biggest problem was with the film's action scenes, where the characters were portrayed as superhuman. I was additionally disappointed with ZS's handling of the themes (including that of the characters NOT being superhuman) and ideas of the film. There are many things that disappointed me about the film, I have just not listed them all here.

Also, I don't recall ever suggesting that it was the action scenes in the film that were responsible for the overall lack of quality. There were many things that brought the film down, for me, but the action scenes were my biggest problem. I wasn't aware that I was only allowed to select one area of the film to criticise/have a problem with/be disappointed with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:11 pm 

Satan's Slut wrote:
That they attempt to tackle them? Yeah, whatever - they can have a point for effort; still doesn't make them entertaining films, IMO.

"Tackle them", right.

As I always say, the greatest irony of The Nolan Trilogy, is that it took a guy who had not read a single Batman comic to make one of the best depictions of Batman ever filmed.

Satan's Slut wrote:
My biggest problem was with the film's action scenes, where the characters were portrayed as superhuman.

What ?

Satan's Slut wrote:
I was additionally disappointed with ZS's handling of the themes (including that of the characters NOT being superhuman) and ideas of the film. There are many things that disappointed me about the film, I have just not listed them all here.

Super..........what ?!

Satan's Slut wrote:
There were many things that brought the film down, for me, but the action scenes were my biggest problem. I wasn't aware that I was only allowed to select one area of the film to criticise/have a problem with/be disappointed with.

You used to mention that quite often, which to me is rather weird criticism considering the butchering that used to happen in comic book adaptations, none of which is seen in Watchmen.

Now why do I mention the latter ? Because no one in Hollywood could've made the better choice, they translated the story almost identically into the film while simply giving a little "make-up" to the action scenes, which doesn't hurt the story at all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:00 am 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

"Tackle them", right.

As I always say, the greatest irony of The Nolan Trilogy, is that it took a guy who had not read a single Batman comic to make one of the best depictions of Batman ever filmed.

Batman Begins was good, and I enjoyed it very much. TDK and TDKR were dull, plothole-riddled, and pretentious. Heath Ledger was the only saving grace in TDK, and I struggle to remember anything worthy of note when he's not on screen. Perhaps Nolan should have read some Batman comics.

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:
My biggest problem was with the film's action scenes, where the characters were portrayed as superhuman.

What ?

Satan's Slut wrote:
I was additionally disappointed with ZS's handling of the themes (including that of the characters NOT being superhuman) and ideas of the film. There are many things that disappointed me about the film, I have just not listed them all here.

Super..........what ?!

You claim you can remember my major problems with the film when I was more active here - don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about now.

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:
There were many things that brought the film down, for me, but the action scenes were my biggest problem. I wasn't aware that I was only allowed to select one area of the film to criticise/have a problem with/be disappointed with.

You used to mention that quite often, which to me is rather weird criticism considering the butchering that used to happen in comic book adaptations, none of which is seen in Watchmen.

Now why do I mention the latter ? Because no one in Hollywood could've made the better choice, they translated the story almost identically into the film while simply giving a little "make-up" to the action scenes, which doesn't hurt the story at all.

Yes, ZS is very good at duplicating the look - right down to individual panels/shots - of a comic onto the big screen. Watchmen demonstrated he did not understand the themes of the GN; generally what did remain was simply a result of actually filming the GN. I'd go as far as to say any themes or messages that did show through on screen was despite ZS - not because of him.

Look what happened when ZS tried tackling big, subtle themes with no source to do the heavy lifting for him; Sucker Punch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Satan's Slut wrote:
Look what happened when ZS tried tackling big, subtle themes with no source to do the heavy lifting for him; Sucker Punch.

I know, right? It just goes to show you that Snyder's both a great director as well as an inventive writer who knows how to combine both arts into a pretty great movie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 am 
New Frontiersman

Godziller66 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

I know, right? It just goes to show you that Snyder's both a great director as well as an inventive writer who knows how to combine both arts into a pretty great movie.

Glad you enjoyed it. "Pretty great movie" is of course a subjective term - one that the rest of the world didn't seem to share, judging by the box office and Metacritic, it was a commercial and critical failure.

It failed to make even half it's budget back domestically, and only just made it back internationally - if you factor in marketing costs, it'd be lucky to break even. Seems you're in the minority of thinking it was "great".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 am 

Satan's Slut wrote:
Glad you enjoyed it. "Pretty great movie" is of course a subjective term - one that the rest of the world didn't seem to share, judging by the box office and Metacritic, it was a commercial and critical failure.

Reviews were mixed for the film, and if we're going to criticize in regards to box office income (and arbitrary scoring systems) wether a film is effectively good or bad, then surely you must think The Transformers trilogy to be a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 am 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

Reviews were mixed for the film, and if we're going to criticize in regards to box office income (and arbitrary scoring systems) wether a film is effectively good or bad, then surely you must think The Transformers trilogy to be a masterpiece.

Did you miss the part of my quote that you actually quoted, where I said:

Quote:
"Pretty great movie" is of course a subjective term

Let's expand on what I did say, instead of the strawman you created:

'Sucker Punch' was a domestic box office failure, and only just scraped back its budget worldwide: box office takings are a direct indicator of how many people actually paid to watch it. 'Popular' is never the same as 'good', which I pretty much said, but the figures don't lie - 'Sucker Punch' was not a film that many people were interested in watching. I'd hesitate to call Snyder a 'great director' based on that.

'Sucker Punch' has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 23% based on 201 reviews, and a user score of 47% - reviews weren't 'mixed' - unless you count 'vast majority of reviewers hated it, and a tiny minority thought it was OK' as being 'mixed'. Even the user reviews - which are generally more forgiving - were decidedly lukewarm to bad. Having seen the film, I concur with the majority.

Of course none of this should hamper one's personal enjoyment of a film, but to hold 'Sucker Punch' up as an objective example of Snyder's 'great' directing is laughable at best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:05 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Also it appears that Satan's Slut stalks only these couple thread and is largely incapable of participating in regular conversation in other threads. Just ridiculous arguments in threads that've been dead for a while.
And you know, when a new person comes along, and drags up an old thread, it's cool.
But when someone keeps resurrecting old threads on a consistent basis just to argue OLD points...
is it just me or is that obnoxious?
Have we really NOT covered her opinions of the movie in the past?
Like, twice over?

This entire discussion seems silly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 pm 
New Frontiersman

NiteOwl wrote:
Also it appears that Satan's Slut stalks only these couple thread and is largely incapable of participating in regular conversation in other threads. Just ridiculous arguments in threads that've been dead for a while.
And you know, when a new person comes along, and drags up an old thread, it's cool.
But when someone keeps resurrecting old threads on a consistent basis just to argue OLD points...
Like, twice over?

Yes. Discussing Watchmen on a Watchmen forum is silly.

The other thread I am replying in was one of the most active threads in an otherwise dead forum; I didn't start it or resurrect it. I chimed in on this thread because it was near the top of the forum, and I am also British, and agreed with some of the points about Nolan's Batman trilogy. It's not like this forum is teeming with new threads that I'm ignoring in favour of years old threads; I entered discussions that were relatively recent in terms of this forum, or relevant to me.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I personally can or can't do on this forum though, but don't forget - if you don't like the discussion, then you're under no obligation whatsoever to read it. You can join in with one of the many, many other lively discussions going on in this forum. Oh, wait - no you can't; there aren't any. Sucks to be you, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Satan's Slut wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Like, twice over?

Yes. Discussing Watchmen on a Watchmen forum is silly.

The other thread I am replying in was one of the most active threads in an otherwise dead forum; I didn't start it or resurrect it. I chimed in on this thread because it was near the top of the forum, and I am also British, and agreed with some of the points about Nolan's Batman trilogy. It's not like this forum is teeming with new threads that I'm ignoring in favour of years old threads; I entered discussions that were relatively recent in terms of this forum, or relevant to me.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I personally can or can't do on this forum though, but don't forget - if you don't like the discussion, then you're under no obligation whatsoever to read it. You can join in with one of the many, many other lively discussions going on in this forum. Oh, wait - no you can't; there aren't any. Sucks to be you, eh?

Not really. But it's not the fact you're discussing it that annoys me, it's the fact you're so blasted redundant. You seem to come in once a year and make the same points which everyone argues about with you. And this thread actually had been dead for a while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next