WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Satan's Slut wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Also it appears that Satan's Slut stalks only these couple thread and is largely incapable of participating in regular conversation in other threads. Just ridiculous arguments in threads that've been dead for a while.
And you know, when a new person comes along, and drags up an old thread, it's cool.
But when someone keeps resurrecting old threads on a consistent basis just to argue OLD points...
is it just me or is that obnoxious?
Have we really NOT covered her opinions of the movie in the past?
Like, twice over?

This entire discussion seems silly.


Yes. Discussing Watchmen on a Watchmen forum is silly.

The other thread I am replying in was one of the most active threads in an otherwise dead forum; I didn't start it or resurrect it. I chimed in on this thread because it was near the top of the forum, and I am also British, and agreed with some of the points about Nolan's Batman trilogy. It's not like this forum is teeming with new threads that I'm ignoring in favour of years old threads; I entered discussions that were relatively recent in terms of this forum, or relevant to me.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I personally can or can't do on this forum though, but don't forget - if you don't like the discussion, then you're under no obligation whatsoever to read it. You can join in with one of the many, many other lively discussions going on in this forum. Oh, wait - no you can't; there aren't any. Sucks to be you, eh?

Not really. But it's not the fact you're discussing it that annoys me, it's the fact you're so blasted redundant. You seem to come in once a year and make the same points which everyone argues about with you. And this thread actually had been dead for a while.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Perhaps we should stay focused on the discussion at hand, hm?

Satan's Slut seems quite adamant in her opinion that the film failed to do justice to the graphic novel. That's her prerogative. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly. We all knew that adapting Watchmen was a doomed enterprise from the start. Still, at least the job went to someone who gave a damn. Argue all you want about how Snyder didn't "get" the graphic novel, but there's no denying that he did his damnedest. The guy may have struck out, but he put his entire strength into every swing.

Also, the movie failed to make enormous box office. Personally, I think that's a great thing. Now WB won't be tempted to make this movie into a franchise (as they eventually did with the comics), nor will any of the other studios out there be even more encouraged to take comic book movies in a darker direction (again, as happened with the comics).

Meanwhile, the rest of us get a film that we can enjoy and/or dissect mercilessly in the service of the graphic novel we all love. Additionally, Watchmen fans had to spend twenty years with the threat of adaptation looming overhead. We may rest secure in the knowledge that those days are over and gone. Surely that's worth something.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am 
Offline
A brother to dragons.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:36 pm
Posts: 1470
I would've sworn Satan's Slut was a guy.

Yes, that is my entire contribution to date to this thread. Sue me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 373
Broken Finger wrote:
I would've sworn Satan's Slut was a guy.

Yes, that is my entire contribution to date to this thread. Sue me.


I'm whatever you want me to be! ;)

_________________
(ø‹›≈≈

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Broken Finger wrote:
I would've sworn Satan's Slut was a guy.


Yeah, my life has been a lie as well :shock:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 373
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Perhaps we should stay focused on the discussion at hand, hm?

Satan's Slut seems quite adamant in her opinion that the film failed to do justice to the graphic novel. That's her prerogative. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly. We all knew that adapting Watchmen was a doomed enterprise from the start. Still, at least the job went to someone who gave a damn. Argue all you want about how Snyder didn't "get" the graphic novel, but there's no denying that he did his damnedest. The guy may have struck out, but he put his entire strength into every swing.


Yes, I cannot fault Snyder as far as effort goes, and he did care; that much is obvious - whether he understood is, as you say, another matter.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Also, the movie failed to make enormous box office. Personally, I think that's a great thing. Now WB won't be tempted to make this movie into a franchise (as they eventually did with the comics), nor will any of the other studios out there be even more encouraged to take comic book movies in a darker direction (again, as happened with the comics).

Meanwhile, the rest of us get a film that we can enjoy and/or dissect mercilessly in the service of the graphic novel we all love. Additionally, Watchmen fans had to spend twenty years with the threat of adaptation looming overhead. We may rest secure in the knowledge that those days are over and gone. Surely that's worth something.


I'd have preferred a better version of Watchmen, even if it did mean running the risk of shitty franchise films - however, I could have simply ignored them; this is likely to be the only cinematic version of Watchmen we'll ever get.

_________________
(ø‹›≈≈

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Satan's Slut wrote:
I'd have preferred a better version of Watchmen, even if it did mean running the risk of shitty franchise films - however, I could have simply ignored them; this is likely to be the only cinematic version of Watchmen we'll ever get.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your logic. You could have ignored sequels or even an entire franchise, but you can't ignore the one movie that came and went four years ago?

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 373
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:
I'd have preferred a better version of Watchmen, even if it did mean running the risk of shitty franchise films - however, I could have simply ignored them; this is likely to be the only cinematic version of Watchmen we'll ever get.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your logic. You could have ignored sequels or even an entire franchise, but you can't ignore the one movie that came and went four years ago?


Simply because any sequels would not be 'Watchmen', and I don't care about them in the slightest. I think what pains me the most is that I have a geeky friend who had never read the GN, but always meant to (he's more of a Batfan), but after seeing Snyder's film, he has no interest in reading the GN. I keep trying to explain how rich and clever it is, but as the film is his only reference, he is extremely cynical that the GN could have so much depth to it. His loss, I know, but it's frustrating.

I can only wonder how many people were negatively influenced toward the GN by the film...

_________________
(ø‹›≈≈

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:25 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Considering that book sales skyrocketed while the movie was in production, I'd say it probably did more good than harm. Just saying.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 am 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 373
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Considering that book sales skyrocketed while the movie was in production, I'd say it probably did more good than harm. Just saying.


They bought it - I just hope they enjoyed it.

_________________
(ø‹›≈≈

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
Vigilante
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:53 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Good Ol' Blighty
Satan's Slut wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:
I'd have preferred a better version of Watchmen, even if it did mean running the risk of shitty franchise films - however, I could have simply ignored them; this is likely to be the only cinematic version of Watchmen we'll ever get.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your logic. You could have ignored sequels or even an entire franchise, but you can't ignore the one movie that came and went four years ago?


Simply because any sequels would not be 'Watchmen', and I don't care about them in the slightest. I think what pains me the most is that I have a geeky friend who had never read the GN, but always meant to (he's more of a Batfan), but after seeing Snyder's film, he has no interest in reading the GN. I keep trying to explain how rich and clever it is, but as the film is his only reference, he is extremely cynical that the GN could have so much depth to it. His loss, I know, but it's frustrating.

I can only wonder how many people were negatively influenced toward the GN by the film...


I personally saw the film first and immediately borrowed my dad's ancient copy off the bookshelf. It'd been there the entire time and even though I've always been into comics and will usually read anything I could get my hands on, I'd walked past it every day for seventeen years and not read it until I saw the film. As much as I usually disagree with the daft idea that young people aren't interested in stories until they've seen the film, I really did have no interest at all in reading the comic until I'd seen the film. However, I wouldn't say that reading the GN has negatively affected my enjoyment of the movie in the slightest: on the contrary, I actually enjoy the film more now that I have a deeper understanding of the characters and themes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
I concur. I had no interest in the GN before the movie.
And I enjoy the movie more now having read the GN.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:14 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02 pm
Posts: 124
So I took about a 2 year break from the movie. I recently read the comic again and watched the UC... And for the life of me, I can't understand how a fan of the comic can actually hate this film? Besides Sin City, it is probably the most faithful adaptation of a comic to a film ever, and still a movie that holds on it's own. You just have to love the respect and adoration that Zack and co had for the source. I loved this far more today than i did back that, and that is saying something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 am 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
karnak wrote:
So I took about a 2 year break from the movie. I recently read the comic again and watched the UC... And for the life of me, I can't understand how a fan of the comic can actually hate this film? Besides Sin City, it is probably the most faithful adaptation of a comic to a film ever, and still a movie that holds on it's own. You just have to love the respect and adoration that Zack and co had for the source. I loved this far more today than i did back that, and that is saying something.

This. Pretty much yeah. This.
Agreed.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 317
So, what's your comprehension of a fan of the comic who hasn't actually seen this film, let's say for reasons other than the faithfulness of the adaptation alone?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:38 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
So, what's your comprehension of a fan of the comic who hasn't actually seen this film, let's say for reasons other than the faithfulness of the adaptation alone?

I don't understand this question at all...

my comprehension of a fan who hasn't seen the movie?
for... reasons besides faithfulness of the adaption alone?

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
So, what's your comprehension of a fan of the comic who hasn't actually seen this film, let's say for reasons other than the faithfulness of the adaptation alone?

I suppose that would depend on the reasons you're talking about.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:42 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
I'm less and less convinced you're not a spambot...

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:21 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
NiteOwl wrote:
I'm less and less convinced you're not a spambot...

I honestly don't think so. So far he's posted no links of any kind.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
He just posted a link that was colored black. Fuckers are getting smarter.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.101s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]