WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Satan's Slut wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Also it appears that Satan's Slut stalks only these couple thread and is largely incapable of participating in regular conversation in other threads. Just ridiculous arguments in threads that've been dead for a while.
And you know, when a new person comes along, and drags up an old thread, it's cool.
But when someone keeps resurrecting old threads on a consistent basis just to argue OLD points...
is it just me or is that obnoxious?
Have we really NOT covered her opinions of the movie in the past?
Like, twice over?

This entire discussion seems silly.

Yes. Discussing Watchmen on a Watchmen forum is silly.

The other thread I am replying in was one of the most active threads in an otherwise dead forum; I didn't start it or resurrect it. I chimed in on this thread because it was near the top of the forum, and I am also British, and agreed with some of the points about Nolan's Batman trilogy. It's not like this forum is teeming with new threads that I'm ignoring in favour of years old threads; I entered discussions that were relatively recent in terms of this forum, or relevant to me.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I personally can or can't do on this forum though, but don't forget - if you don't like the discussion, then you're under no obligation whatsoever to read it. You can join in with one of the many, many other lively discussions going on in this forum. Oh, wait - no you can't; there aren't any. Sucks to be you, eh?

Not really. But it's not the fact you're discussing it that annoys me, it's the fact you're so blasted redundant. You seem to come in once a year and make the same points which everyone argues about with you. And this thread actually had been dead for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 am 
Tired of Earth.

Perhaps we should stay focused on the discussion at hand, hm?

Satan's Slut seems quite adamant in her opinion that the film failed to do justice to the graphic novel. That's her prerogative. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly. We all knew that adapting Watchmen was a doomed enterprise from the start. Still, at least the job went to someone who gave a damn. Argue all you want about how Snyder didn't "get" the graphic novel, but there's no denying that he did his damnedest. The guy may have struck out, but he put his entire strength into every swing.

Also, the movie failed to make enormous box office. Personally, I think that's a great thing. Now WB won't be tempted to make this movie into a franchise (as they eventually did with the comics), nor will any of the other studios out there be even more encouraged to take comic book movies in a darker direction (again, as happened with the comics).

Meanwhile, the rest of us get a film that we can enjoy and/or dissect mercilessly in the service of the graphic novel we all love. Additionally, Watchmen fans had to spend twenty years with the threat of adaptation looming overhead. We may rest secure in the knowledge that those days are over and gone. Surely that's worth something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am 
A brother to dragons.

I would've sworn Satan's Slut was a guy.

Yes, that is my entire contribution to date to this thread. Sue me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am 
New Frontiersman

Broken Finger wrote:

Yes, that is my entire contribution to date to this thread. Sue me.

I'm whatever you want me to be! ;)

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Broken Finger wrote:

Yeah, my life has been a lie as well :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Perhaps we should stay focused on the discussion at hand, hm?

Satan's Slut seems quite adamant in her opinion that the film failed to do justice to the graphic novel. That's her prerogative. In fact, I agree wholeheartedly. We all knew that adapting Watchmen was a doomed enterprise from the start. Still, at least the job went to someone who gave a damn. Argue all you want about how Snyder didn't "get" the graphic novel, but there's no denying that he did his damnedest. The guy may have struck out, but he put his entire strength into every swing.

Yes, I cannot fault Snyder as far as effort goes, and he did care; that much is obvious - whether he understood is, as you say, another matter.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Also, the movie failed to make enormous box office. Personally, I think that's a great thing. Now WB won't be tempted to make this movie into a franchise (as they eventually did with the comics), nor will any of the other studios out there be even more encouraged to take comic book movies in a darker direction (again, as happened with the comics).

Meanwhile, the rest of us get a film that we can enjoy and/or dissect mercilessly in the service of the graphic novel we all love. Additionally, Watchmen fans had to spend twenty years with the threat of adaptation looming overhead. We may rest secure in the knowledge that those days are over and gone. Surely that's worth something.

I'd have preferred a better version of Watchmen, even if it did mean running the risk of shitty franchise films - however, I could have simply ignored them; this is likely to be the only cinematic version of Watchmen we'll ever get.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Satan's Slut wrote:
I'd have preferred a better version of Watchmen, even if it did mean running the risk of shitty franchise films - however, I could have simply ignored them; this is likely to be the only cinematic version of Watchmen we'll ever get.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your logic. You could have ignored sequels or even an entire franchise, but you can't ignore the one movie that came and went four years ago?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:15 pm 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

Forgive me, but I don't understand your logic. You could have ignored sequels or even an entire franchise, but you can't ignore the one movie that came and went four years ago?

Simply because any sequels would not be 'Watchmen', and I don't care about them in the slightest. I think what pains me the most is that I have a geeky friend who had never read the GN, but always meant to (he's more of a Batfan), but after seeing Snyder's film, he has no interest in reading the GN. I keep trying to explain how rich and clever it is, but as the film is his only reference, he is extremely cynical that the GN could have so much depth to it. His loss, I know, but it's frustrating.

I can only wonder how many people were negatively influenced toward the GN by the film...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:25 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Considering that book sales skyrocketed while the movie was in production, I'd say it probably did more good than harm. Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:00 am 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Considering that book sales skyrocketed while the movie was in production, I'd say it probably did more good than harm. Just saying.

They bought it - I just hope they enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm 
Vigilante

Satan's Slut wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

Simply because any sequels would not be 'Watchmen', and I don't care about them in the slightest. I think what pains me the most is that I have a geeky friend who had never read the GN, but always meant to (he's more of a Batfan), but after seeing Snyder's film, he has no interest in reading the GN. I keep trying to explain how rich and clever it is, but as the film is his only reference, he is extremely cynical that the GN could have so much depth to it. His loss, I know, but it's frustrating.

I can only wonder how many people were negatively influenced toward the GN by the film...

I personally saw the film first and immediately borrowed my dad's ancient copy off the bookshelf. It'd been there the entire time and even though I've always been into comics and will usually read anything I could get my hands on, I'd walked past it every day for seventeen years and not read it until I saw the film. As much as I usually disagree with the daft idea that young people aren't interested in stories until they've seen the film, I really did have no interest at all in reading the comic until I'd seen the film. However, I wouldn't say that reading the GN has negatively affected my enjoyment of the movie in the slightest: on the contrary, I actually enjoy the film more now that I have a deeper understanding of the characters and themes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm 

I concur. I had no interest in the GN before the movie.
And I enjoy the movie more now having read the GN.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:14 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

So I took about a 2 year break from the movie. I recently read the comic again and watched the UC... And for the life of me, I can't understand how a fan of the comic can actually hate this film? Besides Sin City, it is probably the most faithful adaptation of a comic to a film ever, and still a movie that holds on it's own. You just have to love the respect and adoration that Zack and co had for the source. I loved this far more today than i did back that, and that is saying something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:03 am 

karnak wrote:
So I took about a 2 year break from the movie. I recently read the comic again and watched the UC... And for the life of me, I can't understand how a fan of the comic can actually hate this film? Besides Sin City, it is probably the most faithful adaptation of a comic to a film ever, and still a movie that holds on it's own. You just have to love the respect and adoration that Zack and co had for the source. I loved this far more today than i did back that, and that is saying something.

This. Pretty much yeah. This.
Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 pm 
New Frontiersman

So, what's your comprehension of a fan of the comic who hasn't actually seen this film, let's say for reasons other than the faithfulness of the adaptation alone?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:38 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
So, what's your comprehension of a fan of the comic who hasn't actually seen this film, let's say for reasons other than the faithfulness of the adaptation alone?

I don't understand this question at all...

my comprehension of a fan who hasn't seen the movie?
for... reasons besides faithfulness of the adaption alone?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:13 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

I suppose that would depend on the reasons you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:42 pm 

I'm less and less convinced you're not a spambot...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:21 pm 
The Watcher

NiteOwl wrote:
I'm less and less convinced you're not a spambot...

I honestly don't think so. So far he's posted no links of any kind.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 pm 
Tired of Earth.

He just posted a link that was colored black. Fuckers are getting smarter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next