WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:57 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

WJK wrote:
More than likely, but it would also show that Manhattan isn't bound by any one government and could start attacking random cities. If New York had just been attacked, then Manhattan gave a speech to the world about war & stuff, then I could see the planet uniting. Otherwise the planet would just live in fear of being Jonbombed.

Why ? Because a city from the US was bombed ? Why can't that mean that Manhattan was up for grabs by anyone ? Every other country could've interpreted his actions as "He is no longer part of the US government, and he hasn't attacked anyone else yet, he may just be open to talks with us!" and thus, war would still continue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:30 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
thus, war would still continue.

Why would it? If he was rogue, countries would be too busy trying to attract a god to come to them before moving forward with their war machines.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
thus, war would still continue.

Why would it? If he was rogue, countries would be too busy trying to attract a god to come to them before moving forward with their war machines.

Or taking their chance to attack the US while they're confirmed to be without their mightiest weapon ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:07 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Or taking their chance to attack the US while they're confirmed to be without their mightiest weapon ?

They still would know that the America had a massive nuclear stockpile though. By your logic Russia would have cried havoc and let slip the dogs of war as soon as Dr. Manhattan made his way to Mars.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
They still would know that the America had a massive nuclear stockpile though. By your logic Russia would have cried havoc and let slip the dogs of war as soon as Dr. Manhattan made his way to Mars.

Not really, everyone knew Manhattan had gotten pissy on a televised interview, they hadn't received a declaration of war through full-frontal genocide, you can doubt a rant, you can't doubt a massive explosion that killed thousands of persons.

Even still, a scenario where every major city of the world gets nuked covers all bases, and it highlights the "strengh through unity" theme from the original comic.

And it's just overall fucking cooler, more fake people die !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:26 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Not really, everyone knew Manhattan had gotten pissy on a televised interview, they hadn't received a declaration of war through full-frontal genocide, you can doubt a rant, you can't doubt a massive explosion that killed thousands of persons.

I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying, because of the rant, that the ending wasn't needed. That being said, when Jon poofs off the soviets would realize that america is without it's weapon... and, according to your logic, would launch their weapons (if they were going to), but because we all knwo about MAD we know why they weren't planning on it.

Then, if Jon returned and attacked New york, tit would be possible the soviets would just count that as a win and cut back on their war efforts realizing that that could have been them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:37 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying, because of the rant, that the ending wasn't needed. That being said, when Jon poofs off the soviets would realize that america is without it's weapon... and, according to your logic, would launch their weapons (if they were going to), but because we all knwo about MAD we know why they weren't planning on it.

I didn't said that either, what I said is that Manhattan poofing off (that sounds like something else entirely!) was no guarantee that America was without Manhattan's loyalty, they wouldn't have attacked because there was no confirmation that Manhattan was no longer on the side of the US.

My logic is that Al Qaeda wouldn't think the US is without president simply because Obama took a long vacation to The Bahamas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:40 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
My logic is that Al Qaeda wouldn't think the US is without president simply because Obama took a long vacation to The Bahamas.

Is that fair? Because we had a president both time Al Qaeda attacked America, and if Obama went to the Bahamas he wouldn't be leaving earth in omnipotent emo fashion. Now if Obama got in front of a camera and cursed out the world then stormed off and nobody knew where he was going... shit would get real

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Is that fair? Because we had a president both time Al Qaeda attacked America, and if Obama went to the Bahamas he wouldn't be leaving earth in omnipotent emo fashion. Now if Obama got in front of a camera and cursed out the world then stormed off and nobody knew where he was going... shit would get real

I actually would think it hilarious if a president did that !

It's obviously not the same situation, but I think both share the effects of ambigüity it leaves on the people, I don't think Russia would've attacked after Manhattan leaving to Mars, it's too weird an event for anyone to make the serious decision of mass-murdering someone !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:00 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
It's obviously not the same situation, but I think both share the effects of ambigüity it leaves on the people, I don't think Russia would've attacked after Manhattan leaving to Mars, it's too weird an event for anyone to make the serious decision of mass-murdering someone !

But if you're premier of the Soviet Union and you think this will be your only chance... wouldn't you take it? the answer is obviously no because both MAD and NUT would make him stop and realize even without manhattan, the risk is too great.

For that same reason they wouldn't strike if they felt that Manhattan had returned (despite only having been gone for a few days) and blew up New York... the risks would be too high. instead they would back down, because if Manhattan would destroy the country he loved... what would he do to them?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 pm 

IN ANY CASE !

Snyder's ending covers all bases if Manhattan is to be transformed into the threat, none of the questions and hypothesis you mention have to be answered if everyone assumes Manhattan has evidently lashed out against the entire world.

More fake people dying does not make Ozymandias any less ambiguous of a character.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
IN ANY CASE !

Snyder's ending covers all bases if Manhattan is to be transformed into the threat, none of the questions and hypothesis you mention have to be answered if everyone assumes Manhattan has evidently lashed out against the entire world.

More fake people dying does not make Ozymandias any less ambiguous of a character.

I'm just going to read that as "I was wrong the whole time, Dr. B, and you are cool, smart, and cool." ;)

But seriously, this is highly academic at this point... nearly three eyars since the movie came out :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

If the whole WCMF did a fan commentary on even the longest cut of Watchmen, y'all would still be talking past the end credits.

It'd be awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:47 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
If the whole WCMF did a fan commentary on even the longest cut of Watchmen, y'all would still be talking past the end credits.

It'd be awesome.

Except t3cii, he's just crazy and hates the movie because he didn't got to see Malin Akerman naked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

It'd be awesome.

Except t3cii, he's just crazy and hates the movie because he didn't got to see Malin Akerman naked.

But we did got to see Malin Akerman naked.

And I didn't hate the movie. I just thought it was okay.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:06 pm 

Dude, please.......please........rent the director's cut, just give it ONE chance, the director's cut IS the real movie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:11 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dude, please.......please........rent the director's cut, just give it ONE chance, the director's cut IS the real movie.

If he has a blu ray player I'll send it to him. For keeps. For free.
What've you got to lose man?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

NiteOwl wrote:
If he has a blu ray player

I don't.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 pm 

t3cii wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

I don't.

Ah well...
sucks for you lol.
I'm not sure if I have the DVD of the DC, but i've owned the movie like in six different ways, so If I find it around here somewhere I'd let ya have it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:46 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

NiteOwl wrote:
t3cii wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:

I don't.

Ah well...
sucks for you lol.
I'm not sure if I have the DVD of the DC, but i've owned the movie like in six different ways, so If I find it around here somewhere I'd let ya have it.

Man, don't send a movie to Toronto, he can just rent it.

LIKE A MAN

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next