WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The End Is Nigh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 am 
The Watcher

At the close of production, executive producer waxes poetic about his Watchmen experience.
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/021608-herb-gains-watchmen-producer.php

Post subject: Re: The End Is Nigh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:37 am 
Tired of Earth.

Any idea how long Gains has been involved with the project?

I mean, sure it's great for an exec producer to give his thoughts about the wrap party, but I'd much rather hear from Levin or Gordon or someone who's been with this from the beginning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:20 am 
New Frontiersman

Saigon Officers' Club set photo.

Quote:
Any idea how long Gains has been involved with the project?

Since January 2007, according to what he said in that.

Quote:
I mean, sure it's great for an exec producer to give his thoughts about the wrap party, but I'd much rather hear from Levin or Gordon or someone who's been with this from the beginning.

That's for the book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
Watchmaker

As Cur said, I want someone who has been with this film from the beginning to explain how special this is for them. And to also set the record straight on previous "start ups".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:05 pm 
Minuteman

"news" :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:42 pm 
The Watcher

Be Like Veidt wrote:
"news" :roll:

It isn't really. I guess I figured I should post a story for every blog entry they do. Maybe I shouldn't. Hurm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Far as I'm concerned, this site should report updates on the official blog. It may not be the juiciest bit of news we could've hoped for, but it's still a development about the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:32 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

I agree with Curi. It was more of the same (amazing experience, said already by JDM, Gugino, Cassandra Faust, etc), but it's still important stuff.

Heck, I'd say this update was more interesting than the Storyboards.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:31 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Rorsach wrote:
As Cur said, I want someone who has been with this film from the beginning to explain how special this is for them. And to also set the record straight on previous "start ups".

Alan Moore has been with Watchmen since the beginning and has explained how special it is for him and has set the record extremely straight.

And the response has been a bunch of whiny fanboys bitching about dolls and their right to see Watchmen presented as a film, video game, and Christmas Special.

Who gives a flying rodents arse if Lloyd or Levin or the Brothers Warnerozoff found the experience of their anal assault on Alan Moore "special?"

Sounds to me like they'd all be wise to lube up for Rupert's humongous woody. It sounds like Lloyd and Levin managed to drop the ball on rights. Which means they're in for a world class fox-fu(kin'.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:09 pm 
Watchmaker

Vynson wrote:
Rorsach wrote:

Alan Moore has been with Watchmen since the beginning and has explained how special it is for him and has set the record extremely straight.

And the response has been a bunch of whiny fanboys bitching about dolls and their right to see Watchmen presented as a film, video game, and Christmas Special.

Who gives a flying rodents arse if Lloyd or Levin or the Brothers Warnerozoff found the experience of their anal assault on Alan Moore "special?"

Sounds to me like they'd all be wise to lube up for Rupert's humongous woody. It sounds like Lloyd and Levin managed to drop the ball on rights. Which means they're in for a world class fox-fu(kin'.

After a decade worth of trying to make the film, and then having a director come on, complete a screenplay, revise, and then shoot into production with an all-star cast is pretty damn special.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:22 pm 
New Frontiersman

1). Probably supporting your argument more than you've done so yourself, the movie rights were sold way back in 1986 with the first, infamous Hamm script appearing 1988; WATCHMEN has spent two decades in proverbial Development Hell.
If anyone has been with this project in its movie incarnation from the outset, it's producer Lawrence Gordon. I guess he's too busy at the moment explaining himself to the WB brass in the wake of Fox's legal challenge to be able to spend time blogging.

2). "All-star cast" is somewhat hyperbolic. The actor playing arguably the key role (certainly the most fan anticipated) has only just returned from a forced thirteen year movie exile during which he waited tables and delivered pizza to pay the rent before starting an ad agency. A-List talent a la Cruise and Keanu (originally courted to come on board) brings too much baggage which would have been detrimental in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:11 pm 
Crimebuster

Detrimental? Maybe.
Or maybe a cast of oscar nominated actors like the one Greengrass was assembling, would have helped selling this movie as a serious adult superhero movie.

Post subject: Starry night
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:19 pm 

Rorsach wrote:
After a decade worth of trying to make the film, and then having a director come on, complete a screenplay, revise, and then shoot into production with an all-star cast is pretty damn special.

As would be a Christmas Special. Just imagine...

Rorschach and Dan get confused and instead of going to Karnak at the South Pole, they head to the North Pole where they mistake Santa for Veidt (as heroes often do) and kill the ol' elf and his pet kitten.

Learning of their mistake, it falls to the two heroes to team up and save Christmas in a world where global accord has made every day a whitebread Christmas.

All-star cast? Well, it is a cast. No argument there. I would assert that your use of "all-star" is a bit generous if not apologetic.

Last edited by Vynson on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:49 pm 
The Watcher

Vynson wrote:

Obviously, not you. But I'm guessing the cast and crew of the film appreciate the public sentiment. Gains could have easily opted to not write that. There's virtually no PR spin to it and no likelyhood many other online media sources are even going to mention it.

I've heard from many that this cast and crew gelled really well on and off of the set and that many lasting friendships were formed. From what I've heard this is rare on most Hollywood sets. I assume Gains feels that connection too and wants to acknowledge that. I think its a nice gesture.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:03 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I've heard from many that this cast and crew gelled really well on and off of the set and that many lasting friendships were formed. From what I've heard this is rare on most Hollywood sets.

A week of listening to stars ramble on Leno or Letterman will illuminate the fact that they all say that after wrapping a movie. And if they really did... cool for them.

It doesn't mean I want to hear some sugary sopped BS version of a producer's part in colonizing Alan Moore without the courtesy of a reacharound.

But that's just me. I'm sure most of these guys don't think of it that way. Like the guy who buys a stolen TV. Hey, I didn't steal it... what's the harm? But it's different when it was YOUR TV, methinks.

I know, I know... semantics... just me in some weird ethical mood where words mean things even if they aren't popular things.

No need to pay attention... move along... move along. Get your autographed copy of "The Making of Watchmen." The fires won't burn any less bright in Northampton.

One Bubastis Happy Meal, please.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:18 pm 
Tired of Earth.

There are times, Vynson, when I sincerely hope that you're either wrong or exaggerating. This is one of those many times.

Post subject: Too late.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:02 pm 

You are hoping that Alan Moore wasn't screwed?

A little late, I think... that predestination thread must have really done a number on you.

:)

AS a point of aesthetics, DD, can we get a new set of emoticons in here? These seem to have a low res sort of scratchiness around them. I really like the control and look of your board (the text nav and color is way superior to the ezboard stuff on my site) except for these crappy emoticons

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:13 pm 
The Watcher

Vynson wrote:
It doesn't mean I want to hear some sugary sopped BS version of a producer's part in colonizing Alan Moore without the courtesy of a reacharound.

But that's just me. I'm sure most of these guys don't think of it that way. Like the guy who buys a stolen TV. Hey, I didn't steal it... what's the harm? But it's different when it was YOUR TV, methinks.

I know, I know... semantics... just me in some weird ethical mood where words mean things even if they aren't popular things.

But you participate on this board, hitting submit and refreshing an ad that puts another 2 cents in my pocket while not putting any into Moore's. Plus, you will be seeing the movie, right? Just as you saw V for Vendetta and LOEG. Doing your part to help line WB and DC's pockets. But that's OK. Heck, you're only pushing the knife .0001 micrometers deeper into uncle Alan's back. Noboby counts that low anyway. ;)

(Yes, the emoticons were aliased for a white background. It bothers me too. I'll see what I can do...)

Post subject: Re: Too late.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:22 am 
Crimebuster

Vynson wrote:
You are hoping that Alan Moore wasn't screwed?

Screwed? Less or more than how he "screwed" (as in adapted for his own artistic purpose) the work of Jules Verne, Ian Fleming, J.M. Barrie and all the others?

Post subject: Re: Too late.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:09 am 
New Frontiersman

AntoBlueberryScrewed? wrote:
Less or more than how he "screwed" (as in adapted for his own artistic purpose) the work of Jules Verne, Ian Fleming, J.M. Barrie and all the others?

To be fair, Moore and Gibbons were screwed by the contracts that they and all other comics creators sign. This is generally beyond argument. What has been debated ad nauseam ahs been whether or not we should want or enjoy a Watchmen film, since Moore has distanced himself from all movie adaptations of his work.

On the one side of the scale we have one view, who pretty much feels that no one should buy another copy of Watchmen, and no one should see the movie because it conflicts with what Moore wants, and on the other side, accept that Moore got screwed, but pretty much say that its DC's rights now regardless of what happened before, and that they want to see the movie and have Bubastis Happy meals....

The other thing is that Moore himself always credits his influences and the original creators if he uses an idea or character. There are many plaguarists about who don't ***cough*** Kring ***cough cough***

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......