WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Overall, what is your reaction to Zack's answers in part II
It improved my opinion of how Snyder is handling the film. I'm excited - now more than ever before. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
It didn't change my opinion. I knew Snyder was doing a good job. 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
It didn't change my opinion, but I'm still on the fence about Snyder in general. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
It didn't change my opinion. I still feel Snyder will deliver a poor adaptation. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
It lessened my opinion of how Snyder is handling the film. I'm more worried now that he's going to screw it up. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:58 pm 
New Frontiersman

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
So, the fight scenes will be choreographed by the same guy that did 300. That's great. The cinematographer, on the other hand, will be Larry Fong... who was also the cinematographer for 300.

:shock: *gulp*

Well, here's hoping he won't make the same mistake twice. Fingers crossed.

I think it should be noted that Larry Fong also worked as cinematographer for several episodes of LOST, some of which had really well-shot fight sequences (mainly "Confidence Man", which is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes of the show). They were organic and seemed real, but were still very intense. It could just be that Fong shot that way as per the director's orders, but I think this shows that Fong isn't as limited as 300 makes him seem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Watchmen isn't an action movie. Snyder understands this.

Relax.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:36 pm 
The Watcher

mike_tyson wrote:

Relax.

It's so funny. There seem to be two types of people:

1. Folks who a sure Snyder is going to do a great job.
2. Folks that are sure that Snyder will fuck it up somehow.

There's not a lot of in-betweeners.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:45 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

O.K., just got back from work and looked over the Q & A's. Much better than part one. I really love that Jackies emotions will be translated through the mask, that's awesome! I'm also happy to know that he's determined to give us "The Black Freighter" the same way we see it in the comic. My hat's off to Mr. Snyder. Thanks a lot DD, Curi, and Mr. Snyder. I just wonder when we'll actually see some footage. . .Comic Con? The things i'm looking forward to the most (besides the actual movie) is seeing pictures of the actors in character, and hearing Dr. Manhattan and Rorshach speak. :P :P :P Again, thanks alot! You've made this geek's day!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:47 pm 
Tired of Earth.

mike_tyson wrote:

Relax.
Thank you. I needed that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:35 pm 
A brother to dragons.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
BTW, the photo on the home page next to the story was the one I managed to get from WB. I tried for something jucier, but, no luck. Sorry, dudes. :cry:

Does anyone know what the "W" stands for on his cap? The cap seems to have debuted at Comicon along with the double "r" Rum Runner T-shirt, and I can't make heads nor tails of it.

I'm assuming, of course, that it doesn't stand for "Watchmen", mostly because of the lack of necessary accompanying color scheme or traditional font.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:46 pm 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
Does anyone know what the "W" stands for on his cap?

It reads "Williams Football."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:12 pm 
Minuteman

Broken Finger wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
BTW, the photo on the home page next to the story was the one I managed to get from WB. I tried for something jucier, but, no luck. Sorry, dudes. :cry:

Does anyone know what the "W" stands for on his cap? The cap seems to have debuted at Comicon along with the double "r" Rum Runner T-shirt, and I can't make heads nor tails of it.

I'm assuming, of course, that it doesn't stand for "Watchmen", mostly because of the lack of necessary accompanying color scheme or traditional font.

All of those interesting questions and answers, and all you want to know about is the man's cap?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:33 am 
New Frontiersman

Really interested in the answers. I am very much hoping that the Fox thing will now not delay things, although in one sense, if the Fox lawsuit dargs on a bit, it'll probably give Snyder and the post-production team more time, which would end up being a blessing in disguise.

I liked the fact he understands that the characters are commentaries on superhero archetypes and I'm sure he's smart enough to make sure the action is well done.

I'm getting all bouncy now with the thoguht of the upcoming movie.......

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 pm 
A brother to dragons.

StevenJared wrote:
All of those interesting questions and answers, and all you want to know about is the man's cap?

Yeah. It's been bothering me for-EV-er.

And now, just to show the moderating team here at watchmenmovie.com that you sometimes can teach an aging dog a new trick, I will now address a separate topic without "double posting".

Here goes:

Can we get a fifth option for the poll? Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion?

"I think Zack's a good guy, and certainly don't begrudge him a living, but this whole idea of "adapting" Watchmen was flawed from the start, and really just isn't a very good idea."

Because I'd vote for that. The bottom two options just seem unnecessarily insulting to good old Zack. You know, I bet he gives great backrubs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:51 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Broken Finger wrote:
Because I'd vote for that. The bottom two options just seem unnecessarily insulting to good old Zack. You know, I bet he gives great backrubs.

PFFT! You just got coffee in my sinuses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:11 am 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
Can we get a fifth option for the poll? Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion?

"I think Zack's a good guy, and certainly don't begrudge him a living, but this whole idea of "adapting" Watchmen was flawed from the start, and really just isn't a very good idea."

Well, to be honest, that's option 3... more or less...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 am 
Vigilante

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

EDIT: Re: BunnyCritters. Yes, there were questions about individual characters. Nite Owl, Ozymandias and Doc Manhattan, mostly. Still, I thought there were enough unanswered questions about the costumes that it would be best to put up a question about all of them.

And I very much agree! I was just clarifying.

And also, like many others I went with "I knew Zack was doing a good job all along." I have seen nothing that would take away my faith in him doing a good job, only things that reinforce it.

Post subject: Less
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:23 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Well, to be honest, that's option 3... more or less...

Less, I think.

Snapped Digit is pointing out that there is a world of difference between saying "I knew Zack couldn't pull it off" and saying, "I like Zack but the material is beyond adaptation."

This world of difference is a planet that a few of us have been stranded on. We get blasted by fanboys for not liking Zack when, in fact, we don't have a problem with Zack in particular. We'd still be whining like banshees if Greengrass or Aronofsky or Gilliam were still attached.

Because it isn't about Zack.

It's about Moore.

It's about material that was created specifically to maximize the strengths of the comic book medium. The failure to recognize this is akin to Jean Claude Van Damm and Steven Seagal teaming up to bring Proust to the screen.

One may buy a ticket out of morbid curiosity, but one does not expect Proust.

Or Moore.

When we like a writer's work, we say we enjoy Shakespeare or that we enjoy King or Faulkner or Steinbeck.

So why is it that so many people who like, even love, Moore are so eager to see him screwed over in order to see his finest efforts befouled in widescreen panoramic glory. Why would a fan of Moore think for a moment that it is perfectly acceptable for another writer to come along and rewrite the story so that the ending is different and so that different characters live and die?

Why would a fan of Moore allow for even a second that framing Jon with blue lightning provides the same story as calamari to go?

You have to understand the crucial flaw here... if that was Veidt's plan, he simply would have called Jon on the phone and said:

ADRIAN
Jon? Adrian here. This whole lack of world peace thing is getting me down, big blue. What say you use your powers to fry a few million peeps and tell them to play nice or you'll fry a few million more?

JON
Sure. I can do that, search for gluinos, and toss Laurie's salad all at the same time. Anything else?

ADRIAN
Can I get fries with that?

Yes, yes, I know I'm still "assuming" that Zack is keeping the dumb blue lightning.

But we all know this is true. We all know back in that part of our brain that actually runs LOGIC 3.1 as an operating system that there would be no need to have Jon working on energy as a subplot unless it tied in at the end with the main plot.

We should have known this as soon as we saw that publicity still with regular cars. We should have realized that no electric cars and no spark hydrants means that Jon hasn't provided much advance in energy for this reality yet.

Which of course he will... which means that instead of having it in the backstory at the beginning, they are incorporating it into the main plot... which means that Jon's energy project has to do with Adrian's scheme... which means blue lightning and a frame job...

And no squid.

We should have known it from that first pic of the non-electric taxi passing the Gunga Diner at night. It was plain as day.

That's how storytelling works.

Prepare for less.

Because we aren't getting Moore. So I am no longer looking at this as a film adaptation of Moore. Because it won't be.

But that doesn't mean that I don't think Zack is doing his best or that anyone wants to single him out for an asswhoopin' or anything. I think we're going to see some amazing stuff on the screen and I see no more justification to get pissed at Zack than I see in getting pissed at any of the other fan efforts we've seen on youtube.

As far as I'm concerned, Zack's effort will be another fan film. And, come to think of it, he really should take that as a compliment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 am 
A brother to dragons.

Yes, that was, in fact, exactly what I was getting at. For a newly minted Hollywood player, Snyder seems both genuine and sincere in his efforts. He also seems truly likeable, and with those arms probably does indeed give great backrubs. :roll:

This doesn't change the fact (okay, not fact, my opinion) that adapting Watchmen into any other medium, whether that medium be film, Noh play, or puppet show (Manhattan's a marionette, BECAUSE HE CAN SEE THE STRINGS!) is, quite simply, an ill-conceived idea of epic proportions.

Hence, the need for a fifth option. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:54 am 
A pretty butterfly.

In the words of Ken Kesey, "art is not eternal."

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:41 pm 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
Hence, the need for a fifth option. Thank you.

Well, too bad. The way I see it, its semantics. If you feel Watchmen is un-adaptable, then option 3 is your best bet, right? Snyder is making Watchmen, and if Watchmen is unadaptable, then it fits. No matter how Snyder answered the questions you feel the same way - that he will deliver a poor adaptation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:13 pm 
A brother to dragons.

It is definitely a question of semantics. I think the third option signifies something other than you, apparently, intended. I do not feel comfortable that any of the options reflect my thoughts and feelings. I need a fifth option, which you do not feel compelled to supply.

So, I'll simply abstain from voting.

CHECK.

AND MATE.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:18 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I think there are some that think that any adaptation is a bad adaptation.

Now I'm reading that if the adaptation was exactly the way the story is described in the story, then it might work. But it would still be a movie version of a comic story. However

While "half" of this website deals with the wonderful GN, Watchmen, the other half of this place deals with the current WB movie adaptation. Not something the author is actually thrilled about being made, either.

There are posters who constantly lob grenades over to the half that are looking forward to the film. Knowing that the film will fail as an adaptation of the book, as many people have said it's impossible. It's as if the very idea of looking forward to the movie is tantamount to lobbing grenades at Moore's fabulous masterpiece.

Well I'm looking forward to the film. Very much, indeed. And not out of morbid curiosity, either. I'm also looking forward to a decently made action figure. That would be cool, too.

And I am not whining on about it, either. I'm just stating facts. I may not be as intellectually empowored as some of the posters here, but I know what I like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm 
A brother to dragons.

mike_tyson wrote:
In the words of Ken Kesey, "art is not eternal."

Do you think he was high when he said that?

Hey, didn't Kesey have some sort of major issue with the film adaptation of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?