WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:09 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

This article popped up in my facebook feed and I thought I'd bring it to you guys.

LET US DISCUSS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:43 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I just read this article as well, since it was posted by the WCM facebook page.

I absolutely agree, and reading that article now makes me like the movie more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 pm 

Have to agree as well, even though this is essentially no news, Watchmen has always been the anti-superhero comic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 am 
Tired of Earth.

Fuck, now I want to give the movie another watch. It suddenly seems like it's been too long.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Watchmen is the Anti-Avengers. In that it's not as fun or enjoyable as The Avengers.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

Post subject: Ain't Anti
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:41 pm 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:
...Watchmen has always been the anti-superhero comic.

Far from it. WATCHMEN was created out of a deep love and respect for, and understanding of, the genre and demanded that its readership was similarly inclined so as to appreciate it to its intended fullest.

Alan Moore wrote:

Dave Gibbons wrote:

And as for:
Zack Snyder wrote:

Post subject: Re: Ain't Anti
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Far from it. WATCHMEN was created out of a deep love and respect for, and understanding of, the genre and demanded that its readership was similarly inclined so as to appreciate it to its intended fullest.

:o !

Writer Of Wrongs............I CHALLENGE THEE !

I'll keep it short.

I really think the book was among the first works to say that somebody that dresses up in a kinky suit, goes out to fight dangerous criminals, and believes he/she can single-handedly change the world, is a delusional fuck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:56 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

:o !

Writer Of Wrongs............I CHALLENGE THEE !

I'll keep it short.

I really think the book was among the first works to say that somebody that dresses up in a kinky suit, goes out to fight dangerous criminals, and believes he/she can single-handedly change the world, is a delusional fuck.

But the people who work on the system level (Ozy, Doc, The World leaders) were also shown to be delusional, even more so. Rorschach knew he was only changing the world at the basest of levels, but that was worth it to him. Moore also criticizes the people who give up trying to make a difference in the form of Dan and Laurie. I think some themes of Watchmen are along these lines...

Albert Einstein wrote:
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Post subject: Universally Challenged
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 pm 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:

Absolutely.

But it's the inherent love for the traditional superhero on the part of both the creators and their audience which ensures that such deconstruction is so memorably effective.

And in that regard, WATCHMEN cannot be considered to be opposed to or against, anti, the concept of the superhero. Seeking to expose contradictions in a field of work for fresh artistic effect is not the same as attempting to discredit or deliberately damage the original work thereafter. This is what so disappointed Moore after WATCHMEN: that superhero comics became populated by an endless glut of so-called dark and damaged characters bearing none of the inventiveness, style and wit borne out of a love for the genre that he himself had crafted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

Absolutely.

But it's the inherent love for the traditional superhero on the part of both the creators and their audience which ensures that such deconstruction is so memorably effective.

And in that regard, WATCHMEN cannot be considered to be opposed to or against, anti, the concept of the superhero. Seeking to expose contradictions in a field of work for fresh artistic effect is not the same as attempting to discredit or deliberately damage the original work thereafter. This is what so disappointed Moore after WATCHMEN: that superhero comics became populated by an endless glut of so-called dark and damaged characters bearing none of the inventiveness, style and wit borne out of a love for the genre that he himself had crafted.

Who are you behind that mask avatar, WoW?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 pm 
Tired of Earth.

He's obviously The Great Bearded One.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:37 pm 

WJK wrote:
He's obviously The Great Bearded One.

Jason Aaron? I kid I kid.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:05 pm 

I challenge one guy and end up arguing another, I fucking love you Brooklyn :lol:

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
But the people who work on the system level (Ozy, Doc, The World leaders) were also shown to be delusional, even more so. Rorschach knew he was only changing the world at the basest of levels, but that was worth it to him. Moore also criticizes the people who give up trying to make a difference in the form of Dan and Laurie. I think some themes of Watchmen are along these lines...

The first part doesn't really contradict what I said, as for Rorschach, he wasn't changing anything, one of the points made about his character was precisely that he was completely unable to exert (sp) any real leverage on the world because he was way far gone into Bullshit Mountain.

As for Dan and Laurie, I always interpreted it the other way, superheroing ruined them, Dan was an insecure, co-dependant, awkward mess who could never realize himself unless he was wearing his costume and hunting down whatever criminal could feed his ego at the time, as for Laurie, she was completely unable to adapt to regular, normal life, she couldn't date or make small talk about anything, she was a neurotic with mommy issues.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Absolutely.

Hmmmmm, what do you put forward as evidence of this "inherent love" ? If it can be found within the comic, preferably.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I see what you mean now, I guess it is true that indeed, The Mighty Beard, was just pointing out the bullshitty parts in order for both fans and artists to reflect on the genre as a whole, very nice Mister Wrongs !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Interesting interview. I think Snyder gives himself too much credit. I admire what he was trying to do with the film, but I think he was only partially successful. I really like how the film aims high, but it ultimately falls short. Still gets far though.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Yeah, I thought that was a rather simple-minded statement by Snyder.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:31 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

ROR-SHACK wrote:
Interesting interview. I think Snyder gives himself too much credit. I admire what he was trying to do with the film, but I think he was only partially successful. I really like how the film aims high, but it ultimately falls short. Still gets far though.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Yeah, I thought that was a rather simple-minded statement by Snyder.

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ROR-SHACK'S BACK BRIEFLY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:24 am 
New Frontiersman

Just re-emphasises to me how little Snyder understood the source.

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 am 

Satan's Slut wrote:

Surely you saw another movie than all of us did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:
Satan's Slut wrote:

Surely you saw another movie than all of us did.

Apparently not:

Quote:

Quote:
I think Snyder gives himself too much credit. I admire what he was trying to do with the film, but I think he was only partially successful. I really like how the film aims high, but it ultimately falls short.

"You Can't Help Smiling If You've Bitten Off Your Own Lips."

http://thegq2.co.uk/forum/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

My quote continued with "Still gets far though."

I still think it's a pretty good film. It just didn't achieve everything it was trying to. If it did, it would be great. As it is... just interesting.