WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watchmen Suits Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:56 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I want Dr. Mannhatten!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

TooDarkMark wrote:
I loved 4 of the costumes. I think theyre spot on except for Veidt's.

Nite Owl's looks right and I prefer the non cowl pictures. It would have worked either way, but I think for movie production purposes it's wise to have a "batman" type costume. It also makes sense that if someone is going to play super hero dress up, it would have all the gadgets and intimidating body armor aspects. I cant see any criticism.

Comedian, SS and Rorshach are all perfect. SS's costume never really made sense in the comic book anyways and this isnt far off at all. Her legs would always be cold and what was the sort of silk covering she wore. Any villain could easily pull that and kill her, in a realistic vision.

Veidt's I can definitly accept, but it is over the top. Has anyone considered the fact that Veidt may have made his costume very much a "consumer-friendly" costume to be bought up by kids and nerds? If he did build some of his empire on merchandising, then his costume would have been super hero campy and easily sold to merchandisers. So it kind of makes sense. Is he going to wear this costume or a modified version in Karnack and during the final scene? I guess we'll have to see. I like the fact that Snyder is thinking logically about the costumes.

I do LOVE LOVE LOVE his Alexander the Great look. Even the Julius Ceaserish Olive Branch crown. Instead of the weird headband, which also didnt make a whole lot of sense.

I am officially EXCITED!

i always thought that laurie would wear something like a leather body armour (chest, abs, and butt) something with kinda lewd look, not that she wants to look like a whore, but more like a sarcasm to her own conscience - since her mother was raped. i actually understood that from the blurred images in the war room...i really pictured her wearing something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Mere Being wrote:
TooDarkMark wrote:
I loved 4 of the costumes. I think theyre spot on except for Veidt's.

Nite Owl's looks right and I prefer the non cowl pictures. It would have worked either way, but I think for movie production purposes it's wise to have a "batman" type costume. It also makes sense that if someone is going to play super hero dress up, it would have all the gadgets and intimidating body armor aspects. I cant see any criticism.

Comedian, SS and Rorshach are all perfect. SS's costume never really made sense in the comic book anyways and this isnt far off at all. Her legs would always be cold and what was the sort of silk covering she wore. Any villain could easily pull that and kill her, in a realistic vision.

Veidt's I can definitly accept, but it is over the top. Has anyone considered the fact that Veidt may have made his costume very much a "consumer-friendly" costume to be bought up by kids and nerds? If he did build some of his empire on merchandising, then his costume would have been super hero campy and easily sold to merchandisers. So it kind of makes sense. Is he going to wear this costume or a modified version in Karnack and during the final scene? I guess we'll have to see. I like the fact that Snyder is thinking logically about the costumes.

I do LOVE LOVE LOVE his Alexander the Great look. Even the Julius Ceaserish Olive Branch crown. Instead of the weird headband, which also didnt make a whole lot of sense.

I am officially EXCITED!

i always thought that laurie would wear something like a leather body armour (chest, abs, and butt) something with kinda lewd look, not that she wants to look like a whore, but more like a sarcasm to her own conscience - since her mother was raped. i actually understood that from the blurred images in the war room...i really pictured her wearing something like that.

Doesnt she mention this at the end of the story after she leaves her Moms house? A more Comedian like costume. I think shed want to wear the opposite of her "dad" before she comes to accept the fact. I think a huge change like that would def piss off Watchmen fans and so far 80% of it seems to be completely pleasing to fans. Other than the overly critical.

"Do it? Dan, I'm not a republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:24 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Anyone think that Veidt's costume has just been photoshopped onto Matthew Goode? The crotch looks really odd, as if he's standing way back from the actual costume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:26 pm 
New Frontiersman

Kingmob wrote:
Anyone think that Veidt's costume has just been photoshopped onto Matthew Goode? The crotch looks really odd, as if he's standing way back from the actual costume.

Something is off. It doesn't look totally symmetrical or something, almost like he was standing straight but the costume was leaning one way. Could just be posture...I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:29 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Kingmob wrote:
The crotch looks really odd.

I am starting to worry about us. We stay up late to see pictures of grown people in costumes and then all we do is talk about a guy's all-seeing wadjet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:31 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Hey, it's not like we're e-flicking each other with towels. It does look weird so I'm almost lead to believe it's a layer, and not actually there so to speak.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:37 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Lol! I hear what your saying. Serious though, a crotch is probably not a bad place to put a symbol of indestructibility (if you are Adrian Veidt).

I think it is too dark to tell. There's probably more under there than we can see and the pink stuff doesn't cover it all.

And speaking of not covering one's nethers-- I'd bet they do a big bright blurry glow that covers Big Jon's skivvies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:49 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Ok, Veidt's costume highlights a fear people had from the start with casting Goode. He looks too young for the character. Having a big hulking costume just exaggerates that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:00 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I think I found the source of inspiration they used for the Nite Owl attire:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jkJqjwrjZU4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:13 pm 
The Watcher

Mere Being wrote:
you could say that veidt's look on pic didn't make justice to the real one...well, you saw it. what can you tell us about dan's suit? since his cowl or helmet or whatever may take different shapes depending on the perspective (even in the book) how did u like nite owl's suit in real life?? I swear it's my last abuse! (not question)

I never said I saw thhem in "real life." Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I may have just seen other non-Photoshopped versions of the costumes. I ain't saying.

Needless to say, in my opinion, the colors on the costumes are more faithful to the color palette in the comic as opposed to how they look in the recent released WB photos.

Now leave me alone! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:17 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I think one way to make Veidt look older would have been to make his hair shorter. It might have made his face look less long, and thin. Now, I wonder how Gugino is going to look as an older version of Sally.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:19 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Pertaining to that Nite-Owl comparison that someone posted. The Original version looks absolutely miles better than Version 1 and 2, imo.

Version 1 (which so many people like) has awful ears. They look like cat ears.

Version 2, the ears are so small and pulled back, they're almost invisible.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:50 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

mike_tyson wrote:
Pertaining to that Nite-Owl comparison that someone posted. The Original version looks absolutely miles better than Version 1 and 2, imo.

Version 1 (which so many people like) has awful ears. They look like cat ears.

Version 2, the ears are so small and pulled back, they're almost invisible.

My idea was to somehow retain the "shape" of Nite Owl's cowl as Gibbons drew it. Meaning, it should be more "square" for lack of a better term. I agree that V1 might evoke a cat more than an owl. But V2 was meant to show that the "points" swooped far back, towards the back of his head — again, closer to the original design. (See the NO drawing at the top of this page.) In the actual cowl, it seems like the "points" jut out instead of swoop. I just find it to be really weird, and not in the cool "Dan's a geek, so he'd have a geeky cowl" way.

Perhaps it's tougher to get the original image out of my mind due to the fact that Nite Owl has really only been interpreted by one artist: Dave Gibbons. Compare that to Batman, who in his comic books has had wide, batlike ears, incredibly long, stylized ears, "normal" ears, as well as the Frank Miller tiny ears.

Nite Owl's only been represented one way — until now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:54 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Pardon the brutality, but are you blind? Either of those versions are far closer to how it looks in the comic. Please, please try and explain the reasons for the bent, flabby penises ontop of Nite Owl's head.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:59 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

will doctor mannhatten have those black tights on, i can handle that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:08 pm 
The Watcher

Kingmob wrote:
Pardon the brutality, but are you blind? Either of those versions are far closer to how it looks in the comic. Please, please try and explain the reasons for the bent, flabby penises ontop of Nite Owl's head.

I will! I think Dan touched on this a bit too.

If your opting to make a costume that's a bit more Batman, then having small "ears" will resemble Batman even more. By giving the more Batman-like costume longer, floppier owl ears you make a traditional modern Batman cowl look sillier.

So now you get modern Batman look with the silly undertones that need to be there.

That's how I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:15 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Oh god, Adrian, what have they done to you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Kingmob wrote:

I will! I think Dan touched on this a bit too.

If your opting to make a costume that's a bit more Batman, then having small "ears" will resemble Batman even more. By giving the more Batman-like costume longer, floppier owl ears you make a traditional modern Batman cowl look sillier.

So now you get modern Batman look with the silly undertones that need to be there.

That's how I see it.

That makes sense to me, I'm all for pointing out the idiosyncrasies of "realistic" costumed film heroes. I love that Nite Owl's "batsuit" has a zipper (easier to get the suit off during the Owlship sex scene, too! Ha.) But the cowl just looks ... wrong. It's an aesthetic choice, really. The original, more "square" cowl seems more plausible and unique somehow.

I get that the character will be deconstructing the rich playboy/genius inventor/dark vigilante archetype, and that Nite Owl's suit needs to be a reflection of current superhero outfits if the movie is to operate on that "meta" level. I think that's definitely the way to go to make the movie even more relevant. But from a fanboy stance, it just looks stupid.

Maybe the versions I mocked up could be improved, I worked them up in about 5 minutes. Thanks for all of the input, guys!

The Veidt Method wrote:

Oh god, Adrian, what have they done to you?

LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next