WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watchmen Suits Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

mike_tyson wrote:
Mere Being wrote:
mike_tyson wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Alfonso wrote:
Ozymandias' costume is really starting to grow on me. The problems I keep having with that picture is that out of all the other characters, he seems like a villain. Too much black. Im fine with all the muscles as they go with Adrian's ego.

Trust me on this - Ozy's costume has no black. Look at his face. It's so de-saturated the skin tone looks gray. This treatment to the photo is making his costume seem drab and colorless. It is not.

I may be out of the loop on this one, but have you seen more than we have?

aaa...got now why did I say i doubt he knows nothing about doc?

Being that I'm a bit out of the loop lately, are you 10 years old or just not too familiar with the English language?

hahaa...no, i was just in a terrible rush...

allow me to formulate it again:

Did you get now why I said I doubt he knew nothing about doc's pictures?

less worse???

Alfonso wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
mike_tyson wrote:
I may be out of the loop on this one, but have you seen more than we have?

The short answer (which is all I can give) is "yes."

Do tell. We're all die hard fans here right? We'd like to know what you've seen. . .

c'mon Doomsday...can't u tell us at least a bit of what you know about doc?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:39 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Oh dear God. The more I look at that horror show of a cowl, the more it irritates me. Why on earth would you do that? Is it some awful visual metaphor for the fact that Dan can't get a hard on?

Cheap, so cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:42 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Captain Carnage wrote:

Here's an attempt to reconsile the ridiculous-looking cowl that Snyder gave poor Patrick Wilson with something a tad more streamlined but more faithful to the character's original look.

I don't know, guys, but this costume is the worst of the bunch by far. I guess the consolation is that Dan isn't in costume for very long...

loved version 2. but looking at and editing a picture, a 2d vision of something is way different of actually making a full piece. i still hate the fact his nose is covered and those pointy parts of his armour out of his shoulders. however, maybe in action, he'll look different.

however, could you try to huh, make the top of his head a little lower? as a matter of curiosity, of course...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:04 pm 
The Watcher

Alfonso wrote:
Do tell. We're all die hard fans here right? We'd like to know what you've seen. . .

I did. I told you the color looked much better and saturated that what these particular photos show.

Mere Being wrote:

I know he will look perfect based on what I have heard from WB. I have not seen any photos of the Doc beacuse, as I said, none exist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:09 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Maybe they wanted him to look more like an owl.

No, wait. If they would have wanted that, they would have left those big yellow circles that play into multiple recurring visual motifs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:11 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Alfonso wrote:

I did. I told you the color looked much better and saturated that what these particular photos show.

Mere Being wrote:

I know he will look perfect based on what I have heard from WB. I have not seen any photos of the Doc beacuse, as I said, none exist.

i wouldn't like to abuse your kindness in answering us so repeatedly, but...how did u get to know those things? it was a 'ride' around the studio with other press members or something dedicated to fans or this specific site? how long did that happen?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:12 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

With every superhero movie, studios are always fighting the battle between what's in the comic and what they want in the movie. They're always afraid the costume is going to look stupid. And I'm usually right there with the studio, I want them update the costumes for film.

Watchmen is rare exception where I felt like the pressure wasn't there nearly as much, because that's one of the ideas in the story. Many times throughout the book, they talk about how silly their costumes are. They all pretty much admit that the primary function of their costumes is to look cool.

The look of the superhero has changed a lot in the past decade, but I got excited about the Watchmen movie because I saw it as a great excuse/opportunity to create a more comicbookie look and get away with it. These new images do go further than other movies, but not as far as I would like.

I too miss the more "homemade" look from the book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:15 pm 
New Frontiersman

I've had a few hours to let these sink in. Can't say I'm disappointed by the general look.

Nite Owl: I agree with most the ears look a little ridiculous. However, Dan has masters degrees in engineering and ornithology. He's a freaking geek. The costume is meant to look a little ridiculous. As far as the coverin over his nose, I think it's part of his goggles.

Silk Spectre II: I'm glad they avoided the Baywatch look. Bathing suits with plunging necklines look good on comic heroines, but they simply aren't practical. I like the garters, it's a nod to the femininity of the character.

Comedian: I agree he's pretty much nailed. Is that a scar or a shadow next to his right eye??

Ozymandias: I hope the colours are washed out. Gold and purple (both part of the regal palette) should be predominant. I agree with Soup that the nipples on the armor are more likely a nod to his Egypt via Ancient Greece angle than anything else. The look in his eyes is pretty intense. Are they trying to play the psycho angle??

Rorschach: The image isn't all that sharp, so it's hard to say anything conclusive about the mask but the jacket is about the right length (in the GN it stops just above his knee). They've even got the detache epaulette (the missing button on his overcoat) over the left shoulder.

Good scoop DD. Thanks for letting us in on it.

-Juvenal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 pm 
Existence is random.

I hate the new costumes. Thank GOD they didn't make changes in Rorschach's costume...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

ROR-SHOCK wrote:
I too miss the more "homemade" look from the book.
and from that shot of Gibbons with Dollar Bill's duds behind him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 pm 
The Watcher

Mere Being wrote:
i wouldn't like to abuse your kindness in answering us so repeatedly, but...how did u get to know those things? it was a 'ride' around the studio with other press members or something dedicated to fans or this specific site? how long did that happen?

I honestly can't say anything specific, just that WB has been very gracious and has told and shown me things in confidence. Part of the reason they do that is beacuse I keep my word. I would love to share everything that I have seen and heard with all of you, but if I did that you guys wouldn't get exclusives like the "Ask Zack" feature, the heads-up you did last night, and hopefully lots more inside and exclusive stuff between now and release.

It's all for your own good. ;)

BTW - New photo comaprisons in the photo section of this site http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/watchmen-movie-photos.php

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:26 pm 
Existence is random.

...I got over from the shock and the new costumes are pretty good looking but Nite-Owl's costume looks too much of Batman's costume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:32 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

So DD, you're saying that these images were desaturatd (so they would look "cooler" I guess) from the film versions...
So, I saturated and brightened up Veidt:

(View larger)

I just used iPhoto, I don't really know how to use Photoshop. But if DD is right, I think this might more accurately reflect the final film version. The suit now looks more dark green than black and the cape is definitely purple.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
BTW - New photo comaprisons in the photo section of this site http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/watchmen-movie-photos.php
[/quote]

Cool!

Last edited by ROR-SHACK on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

ROR-SHOCK wrote:
So DD, you're saying that these images were desaturatd (so they would look "cooler" I guess) from the film versions...
So, I saturated and brightened up Veidt:

(View larger)

I just used iPhoto, I don't really know how to use Photoshop. But if DD is right, I think this might more accurately reflect the final film version. The suit now looks more dark green than black and the cape is definitely purple.
Nice try, ROR-SHOCK, but it still doesn't look right. His skin tone is way too pale.

Whatever Snyder did to tamper with the color, he did it good. Thanks for trying, though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:39 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Captain Carnage wrote:

Here's an attempt to reconsile the ridiculous-looking cowl that Snyder gave poor Patrick Wilson with something a tad more streamlined but more faithful to the character's original look.

I don't know, guys, but this costume is the worst of the bunch by far. I guess the consolation is that Dan isn't in costume for very long...

Version 2 looks perfect! even version 1 would look better. Oh well, like it was said earlier, in order to properly judge these costumes we need to see them from different perspectives and in action. Nice work Carnage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 pm 
Tired of Earth.

The story has been picked up by AICN, IESB and CHUD.

I'm seeing generally positive reactions across the board. Snyder really got everyone's attention, which is a great sign.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:52 pm 
So impotent.

For those who want to study the new costumes daily I've knocked up a wallpaper.
http://bushwod.blogspot.com/2008/03/one ... chmen.html

I really like all of them, except for Veidt who looks as camp as christmas.

But to be fair he looked over the top in the comic as well, that was the point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:54 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Digioac2 wrote:
Captain Carnage wrote:

Version 2 looks perfect! even version 1 would look better. Oh well, like it was said earlier, in order to properly judge these costumes we need to see them from different perspectives and in action. Nice work Carnage.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Dan is basically my favorite character from the novel (with one of the coolest designs, in my opinion), and I was really hoping he would look "right." (Notice, I didn't say "accurate" — I realize he can't, and shouldn't, look exactly like he does in the book.)

I don't know, I guess I'm just disappointed with the look. But I still have %100 faith in Patrick Wilson's acting skills, and Dan only spends the last act in costume, anyway ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:39 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I loved 4 of the costumes. I think theyre spot on except for Veidt's.

Nite Owl's looks right and I prefer the non cowl pictures. It would have worked either way, but I think for movie production purposes it's wise to have a "batman" type costume. It also makes sense that if someone is going to play super hero dress up, it would have all the gadgets and intimidating body armor aspects. I cant see any criticism.

Comedian, SS and Rorshach are all perfect. SS's costume never really made sense in the comic book anyways and this isnt far off at all. Her legs would always be cold and what was the sort of silk covering she wore. Any villain could easily pull that and kill her, in a realistic vision.

Veidt's I can definitly accept, but it is over the top. Has anyone considered the fact that Veidt may have made his costume very much a "consumer-friendly" costume to be bought up by kids and nerds? If he did build some of his empire on merchandising, then his costume would have been super hero campy and easily sold to merchandisers. So it kind of makes sense. Is he going to wear this costume or a modified version in Karnack and during the final scene? I guess we'll have to see. I like the fact that Snyder is thinking logically about the costumes.

I do LOVE LOVE LOVE his Alexander the Great look. Even the Julius Ceaserish Olive Branch crown. Instead of the weird headband, which also didnt make a whole lot of sense.

I am officially EXCITED!

"Do it? Dan, I'm not a republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Mere Being wrote:

I honestly can't say anything specific, just that WB has been very gracious and has told and shown me things in confidence. Part of the reason they do that is beacuse I keep my word. I would love to share everything that I have seen and heard with all of you, but if I did that you guys wouldn't get exclusives like the "Ask Zack" feature, the heads-up you did last night, and hopefully lots more inside and exclusive stuff between now and release.

It's all for your own good. ;)

hmmm...if that means weekly updates, i'm with you... 8-)

however...could i abuse you just a little little more?

you could say that veidt's look on pic didn't make justice to the real one...well, you saw it. what can you tell us about dan's suit? since his cowl or helmet or whatever may take different shapes depending on the perspective (even in the book) how did u like nite owl's suit in real life?? I swear it's my last abuse! (not question)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next