WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watchmen Suits Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

WOW! I'm as close to speechless as I get!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
The Comedian:All that's missing is a cigar.

;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am 
Tired of Earth.

floydtheater07 wrote:
I kinda like the concept of nipples on Ozymandias' costume. Remember, these are supposed to comment on past superhero costumes; I'm sure the nipples were a conscious decision to reference movies like "Batman & Robin".
Joel Schumacher once said that he wanted the Batman costume to look like a Greek statue, to give the impression of physical perfection.

Fits Ozzy to a T, don't you think?

Re: AYB: Could you photoshop that cigar onto our new Comedian pic, please?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:24 am 

lol it was soupdragon's photoshop from a while back but i'll see what i can do with the new one...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:25 am 
New Frontiersman

Oh man, I just noticed Veidt's suit nipples. I wonder how the costume designers came up with that.

"Hey, you know what would be a cool way to subtly mock one of the most powerful, esteemed characters in the book?"
"What?"
"Suit nipples."

Honestly, though, I like Veidt's costume. I find it interesting that the molded muscles are so detailed and realistic. Even the parts of the outfit that aren't really supposed to look so body-like stand out; take, for instance, the silver piece around his neck and shoulders. Though it's probably supposed to be some sort of jewelry, some of the markings signify collarbones. Really, really interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am 

lol what with the new ending in place, they didn't want to show the super-magnet Veidt now uses to catch a bullet...
hence his hands are hidden behind his back!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:28 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I'll probably feel differently about these costumes when I see them in context. But right now I don't really like them. Nite Owl especially.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:29 am 
Watchmaker

I'm in love with the smiley badge on Comedian's chest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:31 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Loving everything that I see, except for Adrian.

Malin is dead sexy. Christ.

Rorschach and Comedian are perfect (although, you can't quite see his scar so clearly in the picture).

Dan looks hilarious. Look at how chubby he looks in that thing. It's like he's wearing an armored barrel around his mid-section.

Adrian.. I don't quite know. I couldn't make out the olive leaves until Curi mentioned them. I agree it's a nice touch. Eye of Ra is also a nice touch. I hope his purple is obscene and not dark and villainous. The over done-ness with the abs and muscle just doesn't jump out as "parody" initially. I'll have to think about this one.

Thanks Zack.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:38 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
The goggles are very clearly flight goggles, which is a nice touch.

I don't think they're "DEVO" enough. ;)

Seriously, they look like 2007, not 1985. I can probably live with them, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 am 
New Frontiersman

ROR-SHOCK wrote:
I'll probably feel differently about these costumes when I see them in context. But right now I don't really like them. Nite Owl especially.

I'm diggin' the Nite Owl costume. It's updated yet still cheesier than Brie. It looks like a costume built by someone desperately screaming, "I want to be cool!", yet having no idea what cool actually is. And if those are zippers on the front and under the arms, that's pretty damn funny.

Veidt's costume I'm not so sure about though. The color patterns don't seem right to me, and the belt is distracting. The other costumes look good. The ridiculous factor on Silk Spectre's updated costume is still about a 9/10, as I stated in the past it would be (garters!).

Alright, hitting the haaaaaaay.

-Bill Watterson

Last edited by waylayer on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:42 am 
Crimebuster

Heres my way of thinking. A running theme in WATCHMEN was the absurdity of superhero life. Seeing a bunch of adults running around in goofy,comic inspired tights would have WORKED within the context of the story. Have you ever seen those old Batman serials? His ears are sagging and he has a gut....theres something kind of sad and at the same time creepy about it. Imagine George Reeves version of Superman....especially during the later years.

I just dont think that most folks will get the joke. Yeah having rubber costumes is a take off on modern superhero suits like Batman and X-men. Adrien has nipples on his suit-that HAS to be a dig at Schumacher. I guess my big complaint with Nite Owl and Veidt is just how much they look like a typical Hollywood superhero suit.

The Comedian and Rorschach,however,are awesome. I really want a coat like Rorschachs. What is that? Its like a half a trenchcoat.....very 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:43 am 

HappyHarry wrote:

Seriously, they look like 2007, not 1985. I can probably live with them, though.

I'd say theyre 1940s meets 2007!
Anyway as requested
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/ ... ncigar.png

Now can someone photoshop Rorschach into a certain pose?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:50 am 
Tired of Earth.

Say what you will about Veidt's outfit, but every time I look at that photo, I hear a voice that says "I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

I'm comparing it to the graphic novel now. Note that aside from the eye that should be on his chest, this costume definitely makes a nod to that circle around Ozy's shoulders. The gauntlets are still there, and they look just like those on the graphic novel costume. And of course, there's the use of latex as opposed to tights to emphasize muscles -- you see that all the time in superhero movies nowadays.

ETA: Thanks, AYB. That looks just as cool as I knew it would.

Oh, and if you all go to the main site, you'll see that DD already has wallpapers of the new photos. Damn, he thought of everything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:59 am 

Yeah I just saw! Damn DDC's good!
My overall impression is that, whether or not we get something faithful to the book, we're gonna get to see something fresh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:59 am 
So impotent.

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker here for a while and just joined to give my thoughts on the costumes.

I really love them. I like how they comment on superhero movies, and I must say that I don't care if most people don't get it. It does the job, and in a subtle way. It doesn't spoonfeed the fact that it parodies, yet it still quite clearly does. I love it.

Also, Curiosity, you're right. Looking at Veidt and thinking the "I did it thirty-five minutes ago" line gives me chills. This movie is going to be a masterpiece, just like the book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:07 am 

god, i need avatars, sigs, the woiks!
But I might catch an hour of sleep now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 am 
Tired of Earth.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Yeah, it looks like we could use a few new avatars around here. (And yes, I'm working on a replacement for mine).

EDIT: You know what else we can't see? Silk Spectre's earrings. Are those little "S" earrings still on her costume? Hopefully, they went in the trash bin with the skull choker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:14 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Nite Owl comparison:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:16 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Yeah, it looks like we could use a few new avatars around here. (And yes, I'm working on a replacement for mine).

EDIT: You know what else we can't see? Silk Spectre's earrings. Are those little "S" earrings still on her costume? Hopefully, they went in the trash bin with the skull choker.

Look at the garter clasp. It's an "S."

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next