WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watchmen Suits Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:23 am 
Alien Squid Monster

All I can say is... wow. I was hoping for concept drawings of the cast but didn't expect actual photos. As awesome as this update is I can't help but feel a bit let down by some of these costumes.

Nite Owl - I know they were going for a very batman-esque look but I think they went a little too far with it. They basically took the bat suit and moved the ears/horns down on an angle. Not quite as I imagined it would turn out.

Comedian - Pretty much dead on. Can't really complain.

Rorschach - Looks exactly like Rorschach. Wish his trenchcoat was a tad bit longer. Can't really complain though for how accurate he looks.

Silk Spectre - Updated a bit and looks great. I fell into the category of people who didn't mind her costume being updated for the film and it looks like they did an awesome job. They updated it enough to look more modern but at the same time kept the essence of her original costume in there... and it looks damn sexy by the way.

Ozymandias - I'm really not digging his costume. Why the fuck did they have to put nipples on his suit? After all the backlash from the mid/late 90's batman movies you think they would avoid something like this. Even if it is an attempt to "mock" the batman movies I really think it's too over the top. The muscles are way too much. Why not just simple armor? He doesn't look right without his head band either.

Biggest complaint: NO DR. MANHATTAN

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan." ~ Prof. Milton Glass - DR. MANHATTAN, SUPER-POWERS AND THE SUPERPOWERS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:25 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I hate to be the dissenter here, but I'm kind of disappointed with these photos. I mean, the poses are all unnatural and heavily photoshopped to look gritty and desaturated. None of this tells me that this film will have the sophistication of "Taxi Driver," which Snyder has referenced in the past. This reminds me more of "300." Stills from the film, similar to the Rorschach pic, would have been best. But, it could be worse...

Rorschach: If it's not broke, don't fix it. Spectacular.
Silk Spectre: I dig the look — wish she wasn't crouched like Spider-Man so we could see more of her. But what's with all that hair? Gah.
Ozymandias: Close enough, I guess. Looks regal. Maybe if the photo was cropped better, we'd get more of an idea of what he looks like.
Comedian: Looks like he does in the book, but completely non-threatening and sort of fake. His wig looks pretty awful, as does the mask. Enk.
Nite Owl: This is really, really bad, guys. I'm sorry, I may be in the minority but I don't dig the new look very much at all. I think it all boils down to his cowl: I'm all for updates/changes, but they didn't keep his distinctive silhouette. (Would you toss Rorschach's hat, for instance?) He looks sort of like Catwoman crossed with Daredevil. Also, the iconic round goggles have been replaced by Rocketeer style flight goggles. The suit isn't as bad, and definitely 'Dark Knight'-esque, which is OK. And Archie looks great! But fuck me — his mask just doesn't make it. I know some of you will claim that it's supposed to look goofy, and I agree. But they should have kept his original, more square and still goofy cowl, maybe streamlined it a bit. Poor Patrick Wilson! Nite Owl still doesn't get the love.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 am 
Tired of Earth.

ROR-SHOCK wrote:
Nite Owl comparison:
It really is like comparing 1940's superheroes to 2000's superheroes. You just have to look at the difference in detail...

Still, note that the utility belt on the movie suit has a strange absence of pockets. On the graphic novel suit, the belt is practically nothing but pockets.

Captain Carnage wrote:
Nite Owl: [...] his mask just doesn't make it. I know some of you will claim that it's supposed to look goofy, and I agree. But they should have kept his original, more square and still goofy cowl, maybe streamlined it a bit. Poor Patrick Wilson! Nite Owl still doesn't get the love.
I'm with you here. The horns needed a bit of tweaking, but Snyder way overdid it. Still, I'm sure I'll learn to look past that eventually.

It would've been nice to have round goggles, for that similarity with Archie. Still, I don't know if this design would've worked with round goggles. It's not a deal-breaker for me, especially with the level of thought and detail that went into the rest of the costume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:30 am 
So impotent.

I don't really mind not getting Manhattan. I mean, how much can he change? I'm looking forward to seeing him in live action and everything, but as far as his look goes, how can they change it? Other than not showing his blue balls, how can he look different? Overall though, I'm really happy that they showed us what they did. Also, keep in mind that these aren't action shots. These aren't screen grabs. They are promotional photos, just like are done for every superhero movie. How many different posters were there for X-3? Again, this is just mocking them, which I am fine with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:33 am 
A pretty butterfly.

I think my problem with Adrian is that it's over-the-top-ness is in terms of muscle as opposed to lavish decoration. I'd love to see him decked out in much more purple and gold Egyptian accessories.

I guess it's just nit-picking.

I cannot wait to see these costumes on film. These baseball card pictures don't equate to actual film look and movement.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:42 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Comparisons

Comedian:

Nite Owl:

Veidt:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:48 am 

Rorschach:

Laurie:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Shmoil wrote:
I don't really mind not getting Manhattan. I mean, how much can he change? I'm looking forward to seeing him in live action and everything, but as far as his look goes, how can they change it? Other than not showing his blue balls, how can he look different?

Well, even though it's an R Rated movie, I'm assuming theyre not going to show his neon blue junk through out the entire film. So, at the very least, theyre going to give him some kind of material to cover that up. As simple and subtle as a change that might sound like it would really alter his overall look and character, IMO. I'm just curious as to how they're going to do that. Also, I just wanted to get a look at the "real" Dr. Manhattan. Considering how he is mostly special fx I guess it wouldn't really be a real "photograph" of him, though.

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan." ~ Prof. Milton Glass - DR. MANHATTAN, SUPER-POWERS AND THE SUPERPOWERS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am 

Comedian is the best, no doubt about it.
Nite Owl is starting to grow on me.
I'm really not sure about Veidt, it's such a surprise.
Rorschach is Rorschach.
Can't see Laurie too well but I like that photo.

As for Manhattan, he's CG, so most likley the best we could hope for at this point is concept art.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Yeah, well they have the 300-style desaturation and the over-the-top badass poses. Nite Owl's costume is brown, but it looks gray in this photo. Ozy's is not as "dull" either.

You gotta work past the vacuuformed rubber and really look at them for a while. Then you start to see they really are a bit cheesy. It's not as Batman Begins as you thought.

So you're saying they won't look as desaturated in the film?

If that's the case, I like these a lot more. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 am 
Crimebuster

some of them looks cool, some of them is ... well, as many said, cheesy...

comedian - cool (but without cigar!)
nite owl - too batman-like (at least to me)
ozy, rorschach - great! (I like ozy's suit even more - I always wondered how can he move with that suit:) )
silk spetre - worst of them.... looking like Elastic Woman from Incredibles... I dont kno, I dont like her...

and as i am looking on the suits again and again.... well, my guess is the film will be more based on efect and "coolness" than some heavy undertone or something .... I might be wrong, for example, Batman Begins did both at the same time (and very well), but we will see.

I am so curious if this will be better than BB (or Dark Knight in that matter). My guess is that will be a lot like Sin City and less like Road to Perdition, but well, I can live with that, as long as it will be fun and not painful to watch. Just don't set the expectations too high.

Last edited by running on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:03 am 
Alien Squid Monster

so much "meh". I'm a satisfied customer right now. Really, these are better than I had expected. People seem to feel that Night Owl is too "Batman-esque". If he's any Batman, he's Michael Keaton's with a bit more flair. I don't see how anyone can say anything about Comedian and Rorschach. Uncanny. My mind is blown. I love the shot of Comedian. Hope its right outtof the film. Mrs. Ackerman looks stunning. I personally like her as a brunette.

My only problem was with Ozy, but after seeing that picture outtof the comic right there next to Goode...I'm thoroughly impressed. I think these shots will give us @ least a glimpse into how these actors will be portraying our beloved Vigilantes.

If you give a mouse a cookie... he'll want a shot of Dr. Manhattan and his big blue balls!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:09 am 

Someone over at SHH photoshopped the Nite Owl image to make it look more like the book:

(click)

Hmm, I dunno.

But when I saw that picture, I thought it was real and thought "how the heck did I miss that?!" haha.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 am 
Minuteman

Curiosity Inc. said;

Nite Owl: Very Batman-esque. Note the feathery texture and the wing design along the paunched stomach. In fact, it looks kinda like the suit was sculpted for a paunch, as opposed to the usual sculpted six-pack. The crescent moon buckle remains, but is off-center. I wonder why.

Dude, that cresent moon is starting to look more and more like a batarang type weapon...

Post subject: nite owl begins
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:21 am 
Crimebuster

well, I know, it is pretty stupid comparison (and they are in different pose, have different head size and everything), but well, I took left half from wikipedia article "batman begins" and right from official WM picture... and it looks interesting. They are indeed very simmilar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:26 am 
Minuteman

I half to say The Comedian and Rorshach's costumes look good,everyone else looks REALLY BAD.
Nite Owl's especially,Nite Owl is not Batman and I have a feeling there gonna make him out to be.
Lauries hair is way too long and THOSE ARE NIPPLES ON ADRIANS SUIT,.ALAN MOORE WAS RIGHT.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

About Veidt's nipples.

The Greeks often had them on their body-armour, the cuirass. So it's not such a biggie. :)

But Rorschach doesn't have nipples, though. That top left button is missing in the GN.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Ostermansmark wrote:
I half to say The Comedian and Rorshach's costumes look good,everyone else looks REALLY BAD.
Nite Owl's especially,Nite Owl is not Batman and I have a feeling there gonna make him out to be.
Lauries hair is way too long and THOSE ARE NIPPLES ON ADRIANS SUIT,.ALAN MOORE WAS RIGHT.

They're lasers, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 am 
Crimebuster

Ostermansmark wrote:

i guess those
are definitely nipples. And to tell the truth, I quite like it. Ozy is the kind of "self-proud" guy, who would have nipples on his costume. I have more problems with that "dark nite" guy and "i am so sexy in latex and oh so good in spanking" silk spectre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

As I already stated, the Greek's cuirass (body armour) often had them for decoration. (Along with a metallic six-pack).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:43 am 
Minuteman

Im just having bad flashbacks of when I rented Batman&Robin with Adrians suit is all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next