WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:46 am 
Crimebuster

and i just found out - Comedian has something terribly wrong with his eyes - just look where left eye looks and where looks the right one. I know, photoshop, but well :)

Post subject: Re: Watchmen Suits Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:03 am 
Minuteman

.. :shock: wooow,I like these outfits!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 am 
Vigilante

One quick comment regarding the news article: I think the Comedian is toting an M79 grenade launcher rather than a shotgun. He has the grenades on his bandolier.

Last edited by Aaron T. on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:30 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Absolutely Aaron.

That is a grenade launcher.

I notice SS has garters on her arms, too. :)

Last edited by Soupdragon on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:36 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

floydtheater07 wrote:
I kinda like the concept of nipples on Ozymandias' costume. Remember, these are supposed to comment on past superhero costumes; I'm sure the nipples were a conscious decision to reference movies like "Batman & Robin".

Granted, the Ozymandias costume is a little busy, but it's also appropriate. It reflects Veidt's vanity.

and his homossexuality

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:40 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

I believe I can smile in yellow for a year now.

About Nite Owl and Veidt, I just love them. It reflects very well a concept that Zack always said about the impact that Watchmen movie should have in the super heroes movies like watchmen comic had on super heroes comics.

Is there any other way of making a conection between super hero movies than making that nite owl and veidt costume look like the various batman costumes during the last 20 years someway? It´s pure irony and well reflected. After all, I can imagine Alan and Dave laughing when they created some of the heroes costumes. This confusion is very well built and a lot of people were confused when they saw Nite in the 80´s.

About Nite Owl costume, in particular the face and neck, I think it was a wise decision. Costume designers spent a lot of time trying to make the new neck part of batman's costume good and confortable enough so the actor could turn his neck, after all, the past batman costume incarnations didn´t have it. Imagine, as an actor, to try to move your neck and not making it. So it respects it all.

Silk is kinda x-men pose. I love it.
the comedian is just perfect.
rorschach.... oh god.
and where is Doc? In Mars? =)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:47 am 
Vigilante

I'm mostly pleased, I had a few complaints for the costumes, mostly Nite Owl's and Ozymandias' But overall I'm very pleased with what they've done.

Most of what bothered me about Nite Owl has already been touched upon (goggles, weird ears and vinyl) though I think the costume would be vastly improved by removing that weird swirly design on his stomach and just making it a solid feather pattern like the rest of it, but I'm just picky ;). It was a shock at first, but I'm very used to it now and like it.

Ozymandias however, while the overall design isn't perfect, I can live with it. EXCEPT, my main fear has come true, he has a black costume which makes it far too easy to point him out as the villain. Everything else is passable. Needs more purple and gold.

Rorschach is perfect. Comedian is perfect. I didn't expect anything else.

I never particualry cared that Silk Spectre was getting new duds, they look fine from that parts I can see that's not be covered by her freakishly straight hair and crazy spiderman/catwoman pose. Brings back memories of Captain Liberty on the short lived Tick live action show. A fine costume, works well for her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:02 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I am kinda on the fence....

Liked most of them.

NiteOwl is slowly growing on me, but like most people are saying, its a little too 'Batman' and 'Cool'

Ozymandias - dont really like it.... but I guess his heroes and the main references he would have used when creating it would of had sculpted brestplates with npples and six packs etc.

What really jumps out at me when comparing the comic to the film costumes is ---> Marketing!

Being true to the comic would not bring in Joe Public's hard earnt $$$. These costumes also lend themselves more to merchandising too.
Much as it pains be to say... films companies need this before they will green light a film like this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:12 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I had a couple of thoughts regarding the costumes.

#1 Silk Spectre's outfit and look. Snyder takes a blue-eyed blond and makes her into a brunette. F4's Alba is changed from a brown-eyed brunette into a blue-eyed blonde. Go figure.

#2 Looking at your Icon, Uridium reminds me that V's costume was spot-on. But the movie wandered substantially from the plot...

Here we have a few costumes that aren't so on the money, visually, but there are more elements to a movie than just mirroring a panel in a GN.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:31 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

i still got to look at them a little more until stating something. right now i'd give them a 8/10...except for laurie. i disagreed with alin's cast since the beginning exactly because she's so damn skinny, while Laurie has a tremendous body. Dagmara Dominczsky (i guess that's it), Patrick Wilson's wife, would be perfect.

in a general way i could say that those clothes look way too elaborated, even for an alternative 1985, because, well, all of those guys are volunteer crime fighters and except for dan and veidt, they got no money/time/talents to design and build such suits. oh, but do dan and veidt, right? yes, but i'm not sure if they would really dedicate so much time on creating and detailing their suits like that.

however, right now i could say veidt's clothe would look so much better with his naked arms and bracelets and a golden chest-six pack piece, much like Alex Ross' new Captain America. quite arrogant and suitable to his.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:33 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

could you give us at least a little, the littlest clue of when are we gonna see a doc manhattan pic? of course, u don't need to mention dates (unless you compassion allows you to), but, well...use a proper word to describe how long it will take, taking in consideration a one year-context.

we know you know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:25 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I loved Ozzy suit. It's narcissistic and fits his personality. It has a strong nouveau touch. The bracelets, the laurel and the Eye of Ra are all excelent.

And I don't worry about the nipples.

Only one thing annoys me: his dark semblance, the psychotic eyes. Veidt should look peaceful, Veidt MUST LOOK PEACEFUL. Looks like he is going to be a villain. It means Zack will kill Veidt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 am 
A pretty butterfly.

I have a feeling that looking at these costumes by themselves isn't getting the picture.

Seeing these things in action, out in the streets.. I'm guessing they're going to look ridiculously out of place.

Context, people...

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:01 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

damn, my dumb fingers...my big question TO Doomsdayclock...sorry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:02 am 
A pretty butterfly.

he doesn't know...

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:03 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

i dunno, i think it only enforced the idea that zack will use a different texture for the images, as he did with 300...making the feeling of an alternate 1985 more tangible, i guess.

[Re: DoomsdayClock] doubt it.

[Re: Ozymandias] yes, he's looking accordingly to the descriptions of the 'nasty' extras

i really hated his hair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 am 
The Watcher

ROR-SHOCK wrote:
So you're saying they won't look as desaturated in the film?

If that's the case, I like these a lot more. 8-)

No, they won't. The photos honestly don't do the colors justice. Ozy's costume is migh lighter and paler, almost toward the pastel range. The cape is a regal purple and velvety.

Nite-Owl's is like a mocha brown, not gray at all.

I think Zack made a mistake in heavily stylizing these photos. I know he wanted to make them look "cool" but I'd rather have seem them with a photo treatment similar to what the final look of the film would be. Maybe he did this onm purpose so we can get a look at the costumes, but not really see them in their on-screen glory? Who knows.

And I have no idea when we'll see Dr. Manhattan. It's not that they're holding it back, they just isn't a finished image of him yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Laurie looks fine the way she is. I love her hair. As I stated before. . .she looks hot! She doesn't look like a defenseless woman either, just look at her facial expression. She'll pop your balls if she has too.

Nite Owls is fine, but I would have liked to see the squared cowl.

Ozymandias' costume is really starting to grow on me. The problems I keep having with that picture is that out of all the other characters, he seems like a villain. Too much black. Im fine with all the muscles as they go with Adrian's ego.

I really hope they don't intend to make action figures out of Ozymandias and Nite Owl. Their costumes scream out for it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:22 am 
The Watcher

Alfonso wrote:
Ozymandias' costume is really starting to grow on me. The problems I keep having with that picture is that out of all the other characters, he seems like a villain. Too much black. Im fine with all the muscles as they go with Adrian's ego.

Trust me on this - Ozy's costume has no black. Look at his face. It's so de-saturated the skin tone looks gray. This treatment to the photo is making his costume seem drab and colorless. It is not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Wow, impressed muchly with:

Silk Spectre, especially her look. Costume changes were inevitable with her, and I like how it's still got a retro edge.

Nite Owl. I really like the colouring, it keeps the Owl concept, without making it look goofy, and I always wondered why this tech wiz wouldn't have a better costume. Not to sure about the hard edges though, and the metallic sheen is slightly too modern superhero.

The Comedian looks fucking awesome. I love the way you've got the same armour look of Nite Owl, but with the pared down soldier aesthetic so it doesn't look too modern superhero.

Veidt- Shit, absolute shit. I'm sorry, but unless he really has bulked up that much, it looks way too Batman and Robin.

Rorschach- Oh sweet Jesus thank God. Looks like they've nailed it, though it's a shame it had to be so dimly lit, as I can't make out he colour of the cravat or trousers. In fact the cravat looks almost cream which is worrying...slightly. Otherwise the silhouette looks perfect. I was really worried he was going to look too bulky.

Overall, brilliant job. Shame about Veidt. He really does look shit.

Ostermansmark wrote:
Im just having bad flashbacks of when I rented Batman&Robin with Adrians suit is all.

Pardon my French, but it's fucking shit. How on earth can they do so well with the other costumes and then fall back on the nightmare that was B&R. Goode just looks like a little boy playing dress up with some plastic chestplate.

What I love about Nite Owl and The Comedians gear is that they've incorporated an armour aesthetic, but it's streamlined and more like plates, rather than something that clings. I mean yes, Veidt is vain, but this is so unsubtle it worries me. And to be quite frank, he looks camper than Liberace, and not in the pompous, good way of the book.

Mere Being wrote:
doubt it.

Why do you doubt it?

And can we get a random question thread to save from filling up the boards with questions that could be answered in moments?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next