WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Watchmen Suits Up
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:45 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Alfonso wrote:
Nite Owls is fine, but I would have liked to see the squared cowl.

I agree, I think adding that would have made it feel more like Nite Owl to me.

One thing about the Ozzy and Nite Owl costumes is how modern they look. Would they have thought to create something that looked like that in the sixties? I'll need time to let these sink in.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:56 am 
The Watcher

Kingmob wrote:
And can we get a random question thread to save from filling up the boards with questions that could be answered in moments?

I just merged Mere's Doc Manhattan and the Adrian's nipple thread into the main costume story thread.

And I don't know when the Doc Manhattan photo will be released.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:15 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Alfonso wrote:
Laurie looks fine the way she is. I love her hair. As I stated before. . .she looks hot! She doesn't look like a defenseless woman either, just look at her facial expression. She'll pop your balls if she has too.

Nite Owls is fine, but I would have liked to see the squared cowl.

Ozymandias' costume is really starting to grow on me. The problems I keep having with that picture is that out of all the other characters, he seems like a villain. Too much black. Im fine with all the muscles as they go with Adrian's ego.

I really hope they don't intend to make action figures out of Ozymandias and Nite Owl. Their costumes scream out for it!

indeed. specially N.O.'s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:26 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Trust me on this - Ozy's costume has no black. Look at his face. It's so de-saturated the skin tone looks gray. This treatment to the photo is making his costume seem drab and colorless. It is not.

I photoshopped Ozy's photo a little, giving it a more natural tone for the skin, and the suit turns more gold and purple. It is how it realy looks, DD?

Last edited by namuras on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 am 
A pretty butterfly.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Alfonso wrote:
Ozymandias' costume is really starting to grow on me. The problems I keep having with that picture is that out of all the other characters, he seems like a villain. Too much black. Im fine with all the muscles as they go with Adrian's ego.

Trust me on this - Ozy's costume has no black. Look at his face. It's so de-saturated the skin tone looks gray. This treatment to the photo is making his costume seem drab and colorless. It is not.

I may be out of the loop on this one, but have you seen more than we have?

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:31 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

i guess before I have my take on the suits now I'd say that i guess i didn't really like the approach on the pictures...i mean, they're looking too...obvious? i dunno if that's the right word, but they're looking less exciting and meaningful than 300's (of course 300's pics were pratically a forerunner to the slaughter of the movie)...i'd expect them to portray moments and atittude. i was thinking of night owl holding a remote while the owl ship was behind him, internal lights on; i was thinking about adrian, showing the same brad pitt pose as in Nova Express, in his Karnak's retreat, Laurie, with her lost look (i know people don't like it, but...it's in the book) and surrounded by a blue light. the only pic i really have no critics about is Rorschach's, cause it's quite near my conception, except that i imagined him leaving an alley, (much like the pic's) under a red sign light, and a hand on the ground, seen in the corner of that alley he was just leaving, like someone who has been knocked out, killed or fainted.

in a general way i think they look too much "BANG! this is what you wanted right? there you go!", but since zack published them a year to the movie, he's probably confident enough, reasonably confident, i'd say.

mike_tyson wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Alfonso wrote:

aaa...got now why did I say i doubt he knows nothing about doc?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:37 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Mere Being wrote:
mike_tyson wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Alfonso wrote:

aaa...got now why did I say i doubt he knows nothing about doc?

Being that I'm a bit out of the loop lately, are you 10 years old or just not too familiar with the English language?

videos we make:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 am 
The Watcher

namuras wrote:
I photoshopped Ozy's photo a little, giving it a more natural tone for the skin, and the suit turns more gold and purple. It is how it realy looks, DD?

It's better, but so much color has been pulled out of the image, just bumping up the saturation won't fix it.

mike_tyson wrote:

The short answer (which is all I can give) is "yes."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:45 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

What is with the desaturated colours anyway? I mean surely if Snyder's going to use this in the actual film he was really not the right man for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:49 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

my turn :twisted:
sorry, could not resist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

DoomsdayClock wrote:
mike_tyson wrote:

The short answer (which is all I can give) is "yes."

Do tell. We're all die hard fans here right? We'd like to know what you've seen. . .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:54 am 
New Frontiersman

To those complaining that nite Owl looks too much like Batman...

...well, isn't he supposed to? Both Rorschach and Nite Owl were based on the Batman archetype in the book. It was brilliant of the filmmakers to adjust his costume so that it resembled the Batman costumes from the movies rather than from old comics.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:55 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Yeah, DD... can you at least say if you really like what you've seen/we're in for a treat/etc?

videos we make:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:57 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Having taken a longer look at the photos, here are my thoughts on the costumes:

The Comedian: Of all the casting choices, I thought Morgans was the best. And seeing him dressed up, I can see why. He is the Comedian! Really can't complain too much about the costume, looks pretty much exactly how I imagined him to look. I'm guessing this is Vietnam era Blake? Still, pretty faithful to the original.

Rorschach: This is, I think pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Really, this is a hard costume to fuck up. Two comments, however. I would have liked to see him straight on, maybe holding the Comedians badge. They could have come up with a better pose. Also, while I like the nod to the novel with the ink blot pattern on his mask, it looks a little too perfect. I would have like to have seen a more elaborate splatter effect.

Nite Owl II: As I said in an earlier post, I wish they had kept the cowl. To me, that is what makes the costume. Without it, it just makes him look like Batman. He looks naked without it. Had they added it, there would have not been much complaints from me. Nice to see a faithful Archie in the background.

Silk Spectre II: I was not too impressed when I first saw the costume. It seemed just a little too raunchy for my taste. But, I think the costume is starting to grow on me. It seems appropriate to the time period. The boots, and that hair make her look like a gogo dancer. Not sure about the kinky boots, but I will say she looks damn hot as Laurie! And with the paint splatter on the photos, they give it an almost grindhouse poster feel.

Ozymandias: Still on the fence over this one. I think DD is right about the color being washed out of the photo. If you look closely at the edge of his cape, you can see it is a bright purple. Maybe his chest plate (is that what you would call it?) will look more golden. I still wonder if this is too modern, however. Also, it looks like Goode has not put any weight on for the role, although this could be Veidt when he was younger. Right now, he's kind of looking like Niles Crane! :)

Too bad we did not get a Doc Manhattan photo, but I guess we'll have to wait. As cool as all this is, I'm actually looking forward to seeing these characters out of costume. Like Wilson with outdated glasses on and long hair, or Haley in his prison garb.

mike_tyson wrote:
Being that I'm a bit out of the loop lately, are you 10 years old or just not too familiar with the English language?

Actually this has come up before. I think Mere Being has stated that English is not his first language. I think they are from Brazil (correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by t3cii on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:02 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Here's an attempt to reconsile the ridiculous-looking cowl that Snyder gave poor Patrick Wilson with something a tad more streamlined but more faithful to the character's original look.

I don't know, guys, but this costume is the worst of the bunch by far. I guess the consolation is that Dan isn't in costume for very long...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:04 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

So based on the desaturation, Rorschach's cravat and trousers should still be purple right? I mean, they'd be crazy to fuck about with that surely?

Edit. Oh, and your bit of computer trickery above just makes their cowl decision even more stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:11 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Kingmob wrote:
So based on the desaturation, Rorschach's cravat and trousers should still be purple right? I mean, they'd be crazy to fuck about with that surely?

Edit. Oh, and your bit of computer trickery above just makes their cowl decision even more stupid.

Yeah, I like how he looks in the 2nd version. That looks closer to how I think he should look.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:13 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

Captain Carnage wrote:

Here's an attempt to reconsile the ridiculous-looking cowl that Snyder gave poor Patrick Wilson with something a tad more streamlined but more faithful to the character's original look.

I don't know, guys, but this costume is the worst of the bunch by far. I guess the consolation is that Dan isn't in costume for very long...

I do enjoy the second version a lot. But I think we should look for other perspectives of the costume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:17 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Manuel wrote:
Captain Carnage wrote:

I do enjoy the second version a lot. But I think we should look for other perspectives of the costume.

Yeah, I considered that — I wonder if NO's distinctive profile will be intact? Because ... damn! Are they playing this guy strictly for laughs? This isn't "Mystery Men."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:33 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I hope these pictures depict the characters in their prime. Why? They don't look retired and boring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next