WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm 
So impotent.

From Aint it Cool:

As for what scenes will be added to the Director's Cut, I can verify that you will get to see the brutal murder of Hollis Mason by a bunch of top-knotted thugs. As with most of the violent scenes in WATCHMEN, Snyder has taken a dozen or so panels from the graphic novel and transformed them into breathtaking cinema. He's also turned the sequence into a half-clever, half-heartbreaking homage to RAGING BULL, with Hollis flashing back to his crime-fighting heyday as the "Intermezzo" from CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA briefly dominates the soundtrack. The music - and his punch-drunk reverie - ends abruptly when the gang's ringleader busts open Hollis's skull with his Nite Owl trophy. This is a brilliantly shot-and-edited sequence. If the rest of the DC is up to this standard, WATCHMEN will officially enter the "Best of '09" conversation.

Intermezzo will be playing while Hollis dies? That's such a sad song!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:33 am 
Alien Squid Monster

But fitting. I hope there's a lot more Hollis so the scene has a bigger impact. It'd be a big waste and hollow if it was the only main scene of his added since he has such a small presence in the regular theatrical version

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:43 am 
New Frontiersman

I was unfamiliar with this piece of music so I gave it a listen on youtube. If you close your eyes while listening to and imagine the scene from the novel coming to life, it's clear that this will be one tragic, heartfelt scene. Hollis was one of the good guys in the story. Becoming a hero for him took a tragic turn when he was forced to retire and, as is shown in the novel, to have all his good works for the people culminate in a senseless, brutal murder is terribly tragic and powerful. Also the cuts to his younger days during the fight will also highlight the ravages of time and how he once could take on anybody. Also, given McHattie's strength as an actor with Zack's visuals and this will be a scene to remember.

Don't forget this was one scene Zack fought right up until the end to keep in the movie. It helps give the film more humanity. As has been said elsewhere, the "practical joke" seems to go off without victims. Getting to know the Bernies and seeing Hollis's tragic end will give the movie more heart.

I think this Director's Cut is going to be amazing. July 21st where are you!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

This has the ingredients to become an incredible scene. I just hope Zack pulls it off.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:04 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

(Brain explodes in joygasm)

Zack Snyder, I love you...for now, at least. I still have to see the scene, but from the sound of it, this will be a scene I will lament not having seen on the big screen.

And I thought that Scorsese was going to be the one and only to use that song properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:10 am 
Vigilante

TheMovieDude wrote:
(Brain explodes in joygasm)

Zack Snyder, I love you...for now, at least. I still have to see the scene, but from the sound of it, this will be a scene I will lament not having seen on the big screen.

And I thought that Scorsese was going to be the one and only to use that song properly.

My husband didn't saw the movie in theaters because he didn't read the novel I bought him the novel (he loved it) and he is getting to watch the teathrical cut since I already preordered it. I envy him since he will get to see the whole thing right away instead of missing some things like we did, I do wonder if that fact will make him like the movie a lot more or he wouldn't like it just because of it? Well we will find out soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Shouldn't this thread be called "New detail emerges about the Hollis death scene"?

Seriously, though, the reviewer sounded pumped about the Directors Cut.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:07 am 
A brother to dragons.

Sounds amazing from the AICN excerpt. And fitting. :)

BTW, The Music at the center of the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhwi8kk-dE

God, with Snyder's slow-mo, and the brutality of the scene...it could be a pretty beautiful sequence if filmed right along with that music.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:35 pm 
Vigilante

As far as I'm concerned, the Watchmen movie doesn't debut until July 21. What came out in March was a really long trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

PARAprakrti wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the Watchmen movie doesn't debut until July 21. What came out in March was a really long trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:09 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

PARAprakrti wrote:

QFT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:09 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

PARAprakrti wrote:

Following that logic, doesn't Watchmen truly debut in December?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:18 pm 
Vigilante

The Golden Idol wrote:
PARAprakrti wrote:

The way I see it, the Director's Cut is the full movie (as intended by its director) and the so-called "Ultimate" edition coming in December is the full movie plus Black Freighter. The theatrical cut was just an inconvenience. No one on the creative side wanted to cut the movie down like that. They just had to for IMAX's sake. Needless to say, I'll be purchasing both the Director's Cut and "Ultimate" edition blurays when they come out.

*throws wallet at WB*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:19 pm 
Vigilante

PARAprakrti wrote:
The Golden Idol wrote:
PARAprakrti wrote:

The way I see it, the Director's Cut is the full movie (as intended by its director) and the so-called "Ultimate" edition coming in December is the full movie plus Black Freighter. The theatrical cut was just an inconvenience. No one on the creative side wanted to cut the movie down like that. They just had to for IMAX's sake. Needless to say, I'll be purchasing both the Director's Cut and "Ultimate" edition blurays when they come out.

*throws wallet at WB*

A director's cut and a ultimate edition contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Why should I pay for both?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:56 pm 
Vigilante

silkspectre3 wrote:
PARAprakrti wrote:
The Golden Idol wrote:
PARAprakrti wrote:

*throws wallet at WB*

A director's cut and a ultimate edition contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Why should I pay for both?

I am under the impression that there are special features on the DC that the ultimate edition won't have. In any case, I will probably buy both because I can't wait until December.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:30 pm 
Minuteman

The scene wiith Hollis getting killed is very well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

^
Damn. That looks excellent.
MUST... RESIST... TEMPTATION.... WAIT... FOR .... BLU.... RAY....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:14 pm 
Tired of Earth.

The right hook that floored Captain Axis? It was supposed to be his left! But Stephen McHattie is awesome enough to pull it off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:15 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I couldn't help but cry during this scene. It was INCREDIBLY well done.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:21 am 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

When the guy about to finish him off turns into Moloch was amazing. The whole scene is amazing, but that part gave me chills.