WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:37 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Director calls movie “turgid,” says his version would have been something completely different.
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/082409-watchmen-movie-terry-gilliam.php

AICN has posted an interview with Terry Gilliam that turns to Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen about half-way through. He has a fascinating, critical take on the film.

Here's the link:
http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_disp ... nt_2846353

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:56 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

RLS wrote:
AICN has posted an interview with Terry Gilliam that turns to Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen about half-way through. He has a fascinating, critical take on the film.

Here's the link:
http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_disp ... nt_2846353

The link to the interview is this:
http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_disp ... node/42118

Oh, c'mon, Quint, give the man a blowjob, you are almost begging for it...

English not very good. Forgive me.

http://www.ghondar.blogspot.com
Because people on the internet think that I'm somewhat funny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Thanks, Ghondar.

Yes, the sycophancy of AICN's 'reporters' can be nauseating - almost as nauseating as their terrible writing - but it seems to be the price of access; I liked the interview and thought that Gilliam's remarks about Watchmen were insightful and measured - even though he couldn't remember Silk Spectre's name....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:14 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

he said his watchmen was gonna be 2 Hours and 5 minutes long with little to no comedian at all

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:55 pm 
The Watcher

Project862006 wrote:
he said his watchmen was gonna be 2 Hours and 5 minutes long with little to no comedian at all

Sounds great! :roll:

I love Gilliam's films, but let's look closely at his work and ask ourselves, "Would Gilliam's version be more disjointed, non-linear and scattered than Snyder's?" I say, hells to the yeah.

I really don't think he could have done a better job.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:19 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I love Gilliam's films, but let's look closely at his work and ask ourselves, "Would Gilliam's version be more disjointed, non-linear and scattered than Snyder's?" I say, hells to the yeah.

Maybe. It's impossible to know for sure. I guess it depends on how successful an adaptation one considers Watchmen to be. I share his opinion on the movie:

Quote:
I think WATCHMEN really bothered me, because I thought it should be better. It was all there. It looked right, but to me it was pace. It didn’t have pace. It needed a bit more quirkiness in there. Dr. Manhatten was getting boring, frankly, and then Ozymandias by the end I thought “Oh, come on!”

I have no doubt that another director could have made a better Watchmen, or at least one I would have enjoyed more. But I'm not sure Watchmen as a story makes for good cinema, no matter whose hands it is in.

Which leads me to ask, if years from now someone decides to make their own adaptation of Watchmen, how would everyone feel about it? Would they be interested in seeing it or would it be a slap in the face at what Snyder and co tried to achieve?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

He seems to be suggesting the Comedian's coffin is a short sequence in the book. I don't think he remembers the book all that well, frankly.

And The whole "THE INCREDIBLES ruined it for him" comment is just silly.

The rest of his comments are fairly vague.

And no, I don't think he would have made a particularly "better" film.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:24 pm 
The Watcher

t3cii wrote:
Maybe. It's impossible to know for sure. I guess it depends on how successful an adaptation one considers Watchmen to be. I share his opinion on the movie:

Quote:
I think WATCHMEN really bothered me, because I thought it should be better. It was all there. It looked right, but to me it was pace. It didn’t have pace. It needed a bit more quirkiness in there. Dr. Manhatten was getting boring, frankly, and then Ozymandias by the end I thought “Oh, come on!”

Keep in mind he's critiquing the theatrical cut.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:25 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Yeah, I think we can all agree with him that the theatrical cut was disjointed and badly paced, which was made up for in the director's cut.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:21 pm 
Crimebuster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Project862006 wrote:

Sounds great! :roll:

I really don't think he could have done a better job.

Whilst I love Gilliams work I have to concur with this. Given the struggles he has had with studios over his previous "visions" of his movies, is it even conceivable that he would have been able to push for enough screen time to do Watchmen justice? Even if he had cared to try.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:01 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I disagree with him, but it's nice to hear his thoughts on the film. I was really curious to know what he thought of it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

i dont think anyone could of made it more faithful or for the fans than zach he would of made a different film doesn't mean it would be better

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

I think people are taking the faithfulness of the movie as some sort of cinematic fail-point. I don't see it that way. Forget the book for 3 hours, the movie is fantastic in its own right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:54 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

i agree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:03 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

A big point of his seems to be that it was too faithful, which is a fair point in my opinion as some concessations could've been made. It's a tricky thing and every director would have their own view on it. I have no doubt that Gilliam would've made an inferior version of the movie and have never been a big fan of his style. Wacky for wacky's sake but he does make some interesting points. I'm curious about Greengrass or Aronofsky's viewpoints as well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:18 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

as a fan of the book i dont think any of them could of done it better but they would of done it different

most likely would be much shorter would of cut lots of stuff out etc.

might of been a better film but most likely would feel less like watchmen than Snyder's version

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:18 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I just don't get it, he's a surrealist and Watchmen is not surreal. With that in mind, how could he justify the idea that he could've made it better?

I'm sick of all this "too loyal" bullshit. With LOTR, there were some significant holes to be filled: in the novel, there are virtually no elements of self-doubt in any of the characters. There is little to no human element and it never felt like a struggle to get the Ring to Mordor. The movies more than make up for that and while it's a great book, it's a better movie.

Watchmen, on the other hand, lacks nothing. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons created something that's almost perfect in terms of characters, plot, detail, etc. There's nothing to be desired after you put down that book, it is a fully satisfying experience. How can you divert from that? The answer is: you can't. You can sure as hell try to replicate and I think that Zack Snyder came really close if he wasn't spot on. There's no way Gilliam could've achieved that.

Now, a movie that would've been perfect for Gilliam: the Harry Potter series. He could've really done something with them but now we're stuck with these pieces of shit that keep coming out. Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:33 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i hope you guys remembered that they're critiquing the theatrical cut, i'm sure his opinion would change after seeing the director's cut.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:33 pm 
A brother to dragons.

joshsirjoshules wrote:
I just don't get it, he's a surrealist and Watchmen is not surreal. With that in mind, how could he justify the idea that he could've made it better?

I'm sick of all this "too loyal" bullshit. With LOTR, there were some significant holes to be filled: in the novel, there are virtually no elements of self-doubt in any of the characters. There is little to no human element and it never felt like a struggle to get the Ring to Mordor. The movies more than make up for that and while it's a great book, it's a better movie.

Watchmen, on the other hand, lacks nothing. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons created something that's almost perfect in terms of characters, plot, detail, etc. There's nothing to be desired after you put down that book, it is a fully satisfying experience. How can you divert from that? The answer is: you can't. You can sure as hell try to replicate and I think that Zack Snyder came really close if he wasn't spot on. There's no way Gilliam could've achieved that.

Now, a movie that would've been perfect for Gilliam: the Harry Potter series. He could've really done something with them but now we're stuck with these pieces of shit that keep coming out. Oh well.

I agree with a lot of your points and it's funny you say Gilliam would have been perfect for Harry Potter because not only do I agree but so does J.K. Rowling herself. I remember reading online that when the 1st movie was getting made, she was asked who her top choice for director would be and she said Terry Gilliam.

Post subject: Terry Gilliam Interview
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:19 pm 
A brother to dragons.

MrEgotistical wrote:
A big point of his seems to be that it was too faithful, which is a fair point in my opinion as some concessations could've been made.

I think you may have accidentally coined a new word, one which I have every intention of working into my daily life.

Concessation: The halting or cessation of a previous concession.

That's brilliant.