WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Godziller66 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Clearly it's been too long since I last saw the movie.

Fix'd

This.

The one thing I severely did not like from the theatrical cut was the mars scene, and it was one thing I noticed as MASSIVELY improved on the director's cut, among the hollis scene and other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Fix'd

This.

The one thing I severely did not like from the theatrical cut was the mars scene, and it was one thing I noticed as MASSIVELY improved on the director's cut, among the hollis scene and other stuff.

Is there a difference of the Mars scenes on the Directors cut? Or something else.

Can someone list everything that is changed in it?

All I know is

Holis Mason Death
Daniel fight scene in bar
added dialogue + action to police strike
a few changes in vietnam scene?
a few added things to watchmen meeting

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Nemesis x88 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Fix'd

This.

Is there a difference of the Mars scenes on the Directors cut? Or something else.

Can someone list everything that is changed in it?

All I know is

Holis Mason Death
Daniel fight scene in bar
added dialogue + action to police strike
a few changes in vietnam scene?
a few added things to watchmen meeting

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1860304

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Oh my. I didn't know there were that many! I really need to rewatch that version. I want to see all the differences myself. Thanks for showing me that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

So I rewatched the movie.. Again lol.

Can someone tell me why Adrian says the Comedian was "Cracking"? Why did Adrian decide to kill the Comedian first?

So I want to find out is that the Comedian is pretty much realizing that the world is going to end one way or another, and he wants forgiveness because he wants to go to the afterlife? Did he know that Adrian was planning on killing millions?

I'm very interested in this. Also can someone explain the cancer list? Did he know Adrian did it all along? I really want to know what happened with the Comedian. It seems like he's the most complex character in the story. I really would like to know what happened with him. All the questions I asked above I was thinking about last night, like it's so complex. Deep down I think obviously the Comedian was someone, and at the end of his life it really shows that.

Then he says "It's a joke. It's all a joke. Mother forgive me..." All this forgiveness? I don't understand what is going on. I'm guessing Adrian killed him first because he was realizing everything.

I'm just really interested about the Comedian. I also feel in the intro the song is playing "Unforgettable"... Implying that the Comedian would be unforgettable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:24 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

The Comedian found out about, and investigated, Adrian's plans. In the film it's because he was still under Nixon's employ, "keeping tabs" on the old vigilantes. In the book it's more of a chance discovery.
The cancer list was the names of people associated with Dr Manhattan who were to be given cancer to the effect of framing ol' Bluey and forcing his exile.
I don't think heaven was on his mind, but as a sad, defeated old man all he had to cling to was an idea of retribution.
Adrian did indeed kill him because he knew too much, but there's the hint that it was also fulfilling something of a personal vendetta. He did it himself. He tossed away the gun. He was proving something.
And to return to your first question, when Veidt refers to Blake "cracking" he's talking about his worldview as much as anything. These panels should clear that up (first box spoiler-censored):

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I think I understand it now. I'm glad the Comedian was trying to do something right and went out with a fight instead of just dying without a reason.

How could Adrian prove something? The Comedian wasn't in his prime. He could have won IMO if he was.

I just think that's stupid. :(. I really wish to start out the comic the Comedian didn't die right away because I want to know what he would have done if he didn't. That really sucks IMO but atleast he will be in the prequels.. I hope.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:05 pm 

Nemesis x88 wrote:
How could Adrian prove something? The Comedian wasn't in his prime. He could have won IMO if he was.

I just think that's stupid. :(. I really wish to start out the comic the Comedian didn't die right away because I want to know what he would have done if he didn't. That really sucks IMO but atleast he will be in the prequels.. I hope.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but what you saw in the beginning, that's what he was going to do if he had been left alive by Veidt, nothing.

If anything, he would've probably waited to be killed by the blast as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:14 pm 

Nemesis x88 wrote:

I used to debate that, on some level, the Comedian wanted to be beaten. Suicide-by-Veidt. Others would point out the amount of destruction in the apartment and argued that it evidenced the Comedian putting up something of a fight. This was before the film, of course, which shows the scene in full rather than just in brief snippets of flashback.
The film is less ambiguous: The Comedian is still an experienced, skilled and powerful fighter, but he's inferior to the ubermensch (superman) that Veidt has made of himself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:46 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
The Comedian found out about, and investigated, Adrian's plans. In the film it's because he was still under Nixon's employ, "keeping tabs" on the old vigilantes. In the book it's more of a chance discovery.
The cancer list was the names of people associated with Dr Manhattan who were to be given cancer to the effect of framing ol' Bluey and forcing his exile.
I don't think heaven was on his mind, but as a sad, defeated old man all he had to cling to was an idea of retribution.
Adrian did indeed kill him because he knew too much, but there's the hint that it was also fulfilling something of a personal vendetta. He did it himself. He tossed away the gun. He was proving something.
And to return to your first question, when Veidt refers to Blake "cracking" he's talking about his worldview as much as anything. These panels should clear that up (first box spoiler-censored):

You know it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I have another question:

Is Ozymandias Captain Metropolis? It says the Comedian and CM were the only two members that were in the minutemen aswell the Watchmen but WTF like really? This mindfucked me. What's going on? I read somewhere online he told CM wanting to dress up and play "Cowboys and indians" but he says that to Ozy in the movie. I'm confused.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:37 am 

No. There's lots of speculation as to the fate of Captain Metropolis, but he's certainly not Veidt!

Your confusion lies in the difference between the book and the film.

In the book, the second group wasn't called the Watchmen - it was the Crimebusters - and it was the brainchild of Captain Metropolis.
For the movie they made it Veidt's idea, presumably to make more apparent two things:
Veidt's ambition for peace, and his rivalry with the Comedian.
(The scene plays out the same way, hence Veidt appropriates Metropolis's role to an extent.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 am 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
No. There's lots of speculation as to the fate of Captain Metropolis, but he's certainly not Veidt!

Your confusion lies in the difference between the book and the film.

In the book, the second group wasn't called the Watchmen - it was the Minutemen - and it was the brainchild of Captain Metropolis.
For the movie they made it Veidt's idea, presumably to make more apparent two things:
Veidt's ambition for peace, and his rivalry with the Comedian.
(The scene plays out the same way, hence Veidt appropriates Metropolis's role to an extent.)

Thank you! That clears up a lot of things for me. So they kinda put Veidt in the role of Metropolis in that scene? I gotcha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 pm 
New Frontiersman

For those of you who may be interested, here's the book with my Easter egg-laden tale.

http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Files-One-1/dp/0615609236/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Cagey WATCHMEN fans might catch some of them...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:20 pm 
New Frontiersman

Visit the WATCHMEN set!

Sure, today, it's been Supernaturalized and looks nothing like it used to. BUT Google Maps has old photos up and you can actually walk up the entryway and see over the fence clear as day. So, if you've ever wanted to see the place and don't want to shell out for a ticket, then google maps now takes you there.

Just punch in 5820 Byrne Road, Burnaby BC and go to street view. When I go this, I'm dropped right in the entryway looking at a parking lot. Well, if that's the view you get, there's a sign on the right that says All Deliveries and there's an arrow pointing to the right. That's where you need to go.

Work your way up between the two buildings and you'll come to a gate on the right. There's a dark colored van coming out of the gate. Stop at the gate on the right and zoom in. You'll see Dan's brownstone. It's the first one on the right.

Turning back up the path between the two buildings, if you stop at the rear of the set that's closest to the fence on the right, you can peer into the back of the Vietnam bar. It's got aquamarine shutters.

Continue along and you'll come to a fence with dark canvas over it on the right. Boom! You're there! Pan right and you're looking up the street. Judomaster on the windows on the left, the pillared building across the street is where Mothman was taken away in an ambulance. Across the street from that you'll see the green railing of subway steps. Those are in front of the orange/glass Institute for Interpspatial Studies (did I get the name right?) These are the steps Dan comes up in that overhead shot in the DC after he says goodbye to Hollis. That's also the corner where the newsstand was. Farther up on the left are the Roman arches of Rafael's where Dan and Laurie talk about Captain Carnage, and you can see a bit of the movie theater past that. Moloch's building is set back from the street between these two and isn't visable. On the right where the trucks are, is the Gunga Diner but it's blocked by that truck sticking it's nose out. The street that truck is on is the street where the 70s police riot was filmed. Farther up that block is the hole where Rorscach finds the child murderer.

Again, if you want to make a cyber-pilgrimage to the set, now's your chance. Go for it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 am 
Crimebuster

I do liked Hollis Death scene much more than in the GN. He died like a hero there, recalling all those glorious days as he was Nite Owl.
I think they should have kept that in. It´s a strong scene.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

LittleComedian wrote:
I do liked Hollis Death scene much more than in the GN. He died like a hero there, recalling all those glorious days as he was Nite Owl.

I know right? Its one of my favorite scenes from the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:57 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

LittleComedian wrote:

it was supposedly the last scene to be cut to bring the movie below the 162 minute maximum length for movies on IMAX, I think it was decided that it wasn't important to eh overall plot, and everything else was, so it had to be cut.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 pm 

LittleComedian wrote:

it was supposedly the last scene to be cut to bring the movie below the 162 minute maximum length for movies on IMAX, I think it was decided that it wasn't important to eh overall plot, and everything else was, so it had to be cut.

Bad, bad, bad, BAD decision, that scene fleshes out the context of the Watchmen Universe too damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

^But realistically, it has no place in the movie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next