WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Since the release of the Watchmen trailer, demand for the trade paperback has hit an all time high
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/080308-watchmen-trade-paperback-sales.php

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6583142.html

Wow.

And as for Snyder saying that "if the film ends up just being a good advertisement for the book, then he's happy..." well, it looks like he's succeeding in that realm.

A trailer and 4/5-minute exclusive reel shown at Comic-Con = 300,000 copies of Watchmen shipped.

Imagine what it might do once the film is released.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Yu amehrican ahreally conzumistz.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:25 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

mike_tyson wrote:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6583142.html

Wow.

And as for Snyder saying that "if the film ends up just being a good advertisement for the book, then he's happy..." well, it looks like he's succeeding in that realm.

A trailer and 4/5-minute exclusive reel shown at Comic-Con = 300,000 copies of Watchmen shipped.

Imagine what it might do once the film is released.

it was more like 2 perhaps 3 mins at most. sorry i know it doesnt matter, but thought id chime in anyway.

good to hear people are reading it. poor alan moore. hes never gonna get the rights back now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:41 pm 
Existence is random.

In last 2 weeks? Wow. :shock:
That reminded me that hopefully they are going to rerelease the Finnish edition of Watchmen here when the movie comes out because it's sold out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:01 pm 
Vigilante

I saw TDK on opening weekend and I couldn't stop thinking about the trailer to a movie for a comic book I'd somehow never heard of. I instantly started looking for it at my local bookstores and ALL of them were sold out. Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and order it off Amazon and read the .cbr version in the meantime. I instantly fell in love (this was about two weeks ago) and have been a huge fan ever since. Now I've read it twice, watched the trailer dozens of times, and I'm planning on being Rorschach for Halloween!

So anyway, my point is that it was an awesome trailer and I'm one of the random people that got sucked into the Watchmen universe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:55 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

The Lamonster wrote:
I saw TDK on opening weekend and I couldn't stop thinking about the trailer to a movie for a comic book I'd somehow never heard of. I instantly started looking for it at my local bookstores and ALL of them were sold out. Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and order it off Amazon and read the .cbr version in the meantime. I instantly fell in love (this was about two weeks ago) and have been a huge fan ever since. Now I've read it twice, watched the trailer dozens of times, and I'm planning on being Rorschach for Halloween!

So anyway, my point is that it was an awesome trailer and I'm one of the random people that got sucked into the Watchmen universe.

Dude, welcome to the fan base.

My friends are kinda like this, they are all going to read it after they saw the trailer, and I've answered the question "Who's the Blue Guy?" so many times...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:03 pm 
Vigilante

I went to Borders the other day to pick up a new copy (my girlfriend refuses to give mine back, which is a good thing, in a way...). I was thinking about splurging on the hardcover, which I saw there along with several paperbacks just a day or 2 before TDK opened, and they were ALL gone. I asked the sales clerk and he was like "oh, yeah, they just flew off the shelves, but we've got a big shipment coming in" or something along those lines.

Impressive what a trailer and the phrase "Most celebrated graphic novel of all time" can do for a 22-year-old book.

I think it's safe to say the masses are finally coming around. Let's hope they get it. I read an article from (I think) the Washington Post or NY Times that compared Batman in TDK to George W. Bush...baffling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:00 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

My friend borrowed my copy after she saw the trailer and I kept ranting to her about it because we couldn't find a copy at 2 different borders and a barnes and nobles. It's pretty insane. My brother's reading it now as well, so that's 2 new people reading it that I know. And I know hardly anybody, so that's a large number percentage-wise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:07 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It's funny how when I read two years ago and I couldn't stop talking about it, my friends were all like "Shut the hell up!" about it. But now that they saw the trailer, they all want to read it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

TheMovieDude wrote:
It's funny how when I read two years ago and I couldn't stop talking about it, my friends were all like "Shut the hell up!" about it. But now that they saw the trailer, they all want to read it.

I know how you feel!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

I've already lent it out to two of my friends. There's others lined up to borrow it once the current borrower is finished with it.

I wish I could tell them keep it, so they can read it again and again and find all the cool stuff we Watchmen nerds drool over.

But alas, my copy is my copy.

videos we make:
http://www.youtube.com/pennsylvaniapeople

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

AYBGerrardo wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I know how you feel!

Me too, all of asudden all my friends are intrigued by Watchmen

And the last like five times I've been to my public library Watchmen has been gone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:38 pm 
Crimebuster

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
And the last like five times I've been to my public library Watchmen has been gone

My library has only one copy of it (an original 1987 one I think...) and it's never actually on the shelf. The only way to get it is to put it on hold, and then wait five months to get it for three weeks.

I got my membership early last June, put it on hold almost immediately, got it in mid November.

I couldn't renew it because it was on hold for another person who'd been waiting for it as long as I had. I immediately put it on hold again, but after another few months of waiting, I was like "Screw it!" and I bought it. A decision I haven't regretted.

I bet that as soon as the movie releases, or even as it draws near, there's suddenly gonna be 12 copies of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:10 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I believe it! I work at a bookstore. We had a dozen or so copies of Watchmen when the trailer hit, and a week later they were all gone. After they were gone, people were still asking for it. Today we got another dozen in. It will be interesting to see how long those last.

The Lamonster wrote:

So glad to see buzz for the film leading people to the source!

Pliny wrote:
My brother's reading it now as well, so that's 2 new people reading it that I know.

I just bought a second copy of the book today, so I'll have one to keep and one to loan. About 3 of my friends are in line to borrow it.

TheMovieDude wrote:

Exactly! The same thing happened to me. I'd been saying "the best part about DK is going to be the Watchmen trailer," and they would all roll their eyes, but now they all wanna borrow it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:44 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Seems like the hype is building up momentum real quick. Not sure how I should feel bout it. Hurm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:46 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Nostalgia wrote:
Seems like the hype is building up momentum real quick. Not sure how I should feel bout it. Hurm.

I'm not sure I would call it "hype." More like "buzz." I don't think everyone's going "wow, that looks amazing!" Everyone is just really curious about it. Which I think is better than hype.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:01 am 
Tired of Earth.

For several months now, I've been harping on my sister's best friend (my "other sister") to finally get off the fence and try the graphic novel. I remember when I told her "You've got to buy it before the 18th. You won't be able to find it after TDK premieres." I'd be surprised if she took that warning seriously and I'll bet she's kicking herself now.

As for my real sister, she's also a stranger to the graphic novel. But then she saw the trailer, and she's apparently started to take my work here seriously! :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:15 am 
Alien Squid Monster

This is good news. I'm glad that the book is gaining popularity again. I was worried that the movie would come out and turn off new comers to the book because they've "already seen the movie." The book is a masterpiece and any newbies who are interested in the movie have to read it. If the movie turns out to be shit atleast it turned more people onto the source material. Maybe then it wouldn't entirely be in vain.

ROR-SHACK wrote:
I just bought a second copy of the book today, so I'll have one to keep and one to loan. About 3 of my friends are in line to borrow it.

Haha, I actually have about 3 or 4 friends waiting in line to borrow my copy too. I can't even get ahold of my friend who has it now. Hopefully I can get the damn thing back. I'm thinking about getting the absolute edition for my birthday or christmas and using my paperback as a rental.

As happy as I am that the trailer is getting a lot of people interested in the book I can't help but feel terrible for Alan Moore. Poor guy.

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan." ~ Prof. Milton Glass - DR. MANHATTAN, SUPER-POWERS AND THE SUPERPOWERS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:18 pm 
Existence is random.

Speaking of libraries, my nearest library has 2 Finnish editions of Watchmen and the English edition as well. About two days after when the trailer was released, all three of them were lent and I haven't seen them in the comic book section since then. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:57 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I remember having heard of the watchmen back in the 80's. I was big into comic books but left marvel and DC for image because the quality in the materials (towards/in the 90s).

So a few months ago my buddy at work who is still a HUGE fan - has thousands of comicbooks, came up and asked me if i had read the watchmen. He ended up loaning me his copy and i flew through it. After that he told me they're making a movie out of it. So i went to wikipedia and read up on the GN. I was like whoa, i missed so much!

So now i have bought my own copy and am going through it slowly to see if i can catch everything i missed the first time around. Like Madonna said "like a virgin, touched for the very first time" lol

Anyways, i hope this helps raise peoples interest in reading because too many people don't read anymore. It's a shame!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next