WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:20 am 
Crimebuster

I'm mostly having a tough time getting friends and family hooked (I'm seen as someone with odd taste by ppl that know me, and are wary of anything I have to recommend. I don't think my taste is all that odd, though.....)
But I have succeeded in getting my husband hooked, even though it was tough to get him motivated at first. He found ch. 1 & 2 kinda boring, and didn't pick the book up again for several excruciatingly long weeks. The trailer helped. Alot. He's now totally hooked. Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:19 pm 
So impotent.

Have to say I'm one of those people who got sucked in by the trailer and went out and bought the GN. Well worth it, obviously. It has to be one of the best books I have read in a long time, fantastic story, characters and artwork.

I hadn't heard of it before hand, but I was so blown away by the trailer I just had to get my hands on it! No way was I waiting until next year to find out what was going on :p.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:58 pm 
I DID IT!

That LiveJournal friend who I was convincing to pick up the GN after they saw the trailer... they picked up the GN!

Now i'll point them in this here site's direction :D

[Hey Mojo, welcome to the site *waves*]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:01 pm 
I DID IT!

Here's an interesting little factiod in the Top 100 Graphic Novel Sales List for August 2008.

That being WATCHMEN sold an estimated 43,393 copies in August! That's over 4 times as many copies as the #2 GN for last month!

And that was in the US alone, not counting the International market!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:25 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lord Ruthven wrote:
Here's an interesting little factiod in the Top 100 Graphic Novel Sales List for August 2008.

That being WATCHMEN sold an estimated 43,393 copies in August! That's over 4 times as many copies as the #2 GN for last month!

And that was in the US alone, not counting the International market!! :mrgreen:

AND Watchmen is crazy old. (Well, not that old. ... I just made myself feel old). Point is, the next two, "Force Unleashed" and "Killer Joke" are pretty much brand new, so for Watchmen to out-sell them at all, much less by that much, is insane.
Insanely awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:07 am 
I DID IT!

Pliny wrote:
AND Watchmen is crazy old. (Well, not that old. ... I just made myself feel old). Point is, the next two, "Force Unleashed" and "Killer Joke" are pretty much brand new, so for Watchmen to out-sell them at all, much less by that much, is insane.
Insanely awesome.

Erm... Batman: Killing Joke (also by Alan Moore) was first released in 1988 ;)

I feel It's actually a testament to Alan Moore, the excellence of both stories and their relation to awesome films, that they are the number one and number three top sellers for August. Granted though, the sales figures for Watchmen are beyond Awesome :mrgreen:

(Force Unleashed is only at number two due to it being a tie-in to the new Star Wars game, otherwise Killing Joke would be at number 2)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:54 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Lord Ruthven wrote:
I feel It's actually a testament to Alan Moore, the excellence of both stories and their relation to awesome films, that they are the number one and number three top sellers for August.

Don't assume that so quick! You might jinx it!

Unless you're Kevin Smith of course

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:06 pm 
I DID IT!

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Lord Ruthven wrote:
I feel It's actually a testament to Alan Moore, the excellence of both stories and their relation to awesome films, that they are the number one and number three top sellers for August.

Don't assume that so quick! You might jinx it!

Unless you're Kevin Smith of course

Heh :) Well, The Dark Knight was awesome and everything I've seen of Watchmen has been all kinds of awesome thus far. If Zack fouls it up then it'll be "awesome" for a totally different reason ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:34 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lord Ruthven wrote:
Pliny wrote:
Insanely awesome.

Erm... Batman: Killing Joke (also by Alan Moore) was first released in 1988 ;)

I feel It's actually a testament to Alan Moore, the excellence of both stories and their relation to awesome films, that they are the number one and number three top sellers for August. Granted though, the sales figures for Watchmen are beyond Awesome :mrgreen:

(Force Unleashed is only at number two due to it being a tie-in to the new Star Wars game, otherwise Killing Joke would be at number 2)

*facepalm*
apologies. I kind of mixed it up with Dark Night Returns (that's the most recent thing, right?).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:46 pm 
I DID IT!

Pliny wrote:
*facepalm*
apologies. I kind of mixed it up with Dark Night Returns (that's the most recent thing, right?).

The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel?

Sorry, that was 1986 :)

The (crap) sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again was released in 2001, so that would be the most recent you may be thinking of.

The Killing Joke has always been in print since initial release, and no doubt it's sales have been boosted by The Dark Knight film - It was recently released as a hardcover special edition, which is where the confusion probably came from ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:43 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lord Ruthven wrote:
Pliny wrote:
*facepalm*

The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel?

Sorry, that was 1986 :)

The (crap) sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again was released in 2001, so that would be the most recent you may be thinking of.

The Killing Joke has always been in print since initial release, and no doubt it's sales have been boosted by The Dark Knight film - It was recently released as a hardcover special edition, which is where the confusion probably came from ;)

Holy goodness I am awful. I'm just going to stop talking about comic books until I get my facts straight. Blergk.
I knew TDK movie was related somehow to Killer Joke and Dark Knight Returns (besides, like...batman.), I just thought they were recent. I need to go hang out on wiki for a while before I try talking about this again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:38 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

According to ICv2 WATCHMEN sold more than 43,000 copies in august. This is fucking awesome!

Here http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13298.html and here http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13297.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:33 pm 
I DID IT!

Gourmet wrote:
According to ICv2 WATCHMEN sold more than 43,000 copies in august. This is fucking awesome!

Here http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13298.html and here http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13297.html

It is :)

It was also reported one page back ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:36 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Lord Ruthven wrote:
Gourmet wrote:

It is :)

It was also reported one page back ;)

Better!

Now Watchmen sold 86,000 copies

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:07 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Good. Always great to hear my favorite book being read by more and more people.

On a side-note I got my copy of WATCHMEN in June 2007. Which was one month before the cast was announced and before I was aware of the film. I got it because I liked "The Killing Joke" (WHICH I HAVE A ORIGINAL COPY OF) and "V for Vendetta".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:13 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

ViolentNewCountry wrote:
"The Killing Joke" (WHICH I HAVE A ORIGINAL COPY OF)

"Snap"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 am 
So impotent.

Looks like this is going to be good!!!!

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com

"...im not special, ive never been special, but my work.....thats special. It will be talked about and studied..."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am 
I DID IT!

Watchmen was the #1 top seller of Graphic Novels and trade paperbacks for the month of September. No surprise there really. It had more than 8,100 copies ordered via the Diamond distributer. A lower total than the two previous months, due to the economic climate which has seen sales drop drastically across the board. The figure brings Diamond orders for this release (new print run in July following trailer release) to at least 70,600 copies — making $1.4 million just in the last three months!

That brings the yearly total to 170,600 copies sold via comic retailers alone. You can also add quite a bit more to the total when you take into account the additional sales through mainstream outlets :D

DC comics, via Diamond Distributors, have offered an interesting incentive to comic retailers. They can order in as many copies as they desire of Watchmen, at no initial cost. Around the end of December the retailers can return any unsold copies and, providing that those GN's are in mint condition, they will only have to pay for what they actually sold/kept in stock.

Diamond feel this provides a risk-free offer for retailers as they will be able to gauge the demand for the GN in their area without going out of pocket, and thus re-order intelligently.

I'm guessing they should expect another big sales spike once the new trailer hits :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:58 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm one of "those guys" that bought the book because of the trailer. The next day, in fact. I had been meaning to read the book for years and never got around to it, and the trailer was one hell of a reminder. I'm sure a huge portion of the sales boost is because of people like me. Not people who have just now heard of Watchmen, but who had heard of it and never gotten around to reading it.

"When Watchmen was first published as a serialized story in 1986, Rorschach breaking a finger to get information was shocking. Heroes didn't act like that. Today Jack Bauer breaks a barista's finger to order a latte."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:16 pm 
Vigilante

I'm guilty, bought the book because of the movie. Never heard of the book before, and it's my first graphic novel. My favourite, too.
The day my teacher showed the trailer in class, someone had a copy on them and lent it to me. Finished reading it the next day and just had to buy my own copy. Only one bookstore in the area had it in stock (at any reasonable price), and I got the last copy too. Could you believe Amazon was pricing the trade GN at fifty bucks?

Apparently Borders has had trouble keeping the book in stock. I heard five people behind and before me in line asking about it; luckily I called in earlier to put the last one on hold.
So if you're trying to buy one, be sure to call the store first!

For now we stand alone
The world is lost and blown
And we are flesh and blood disintegrate
With no more to hate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next