WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:48 am 
Crimebuster

I was just watching the DVD box set of Batman The Animated Series (which is just awesome by the way) and I spotted a little Watchmen In-Joke that I'm sure most people would miss...

In the episode "Birds of a Feather", The Penguin goes to the opera which features a crying tenor dressed as a clown. The name of the opera was "I, Pagliacci"!

Also in the episode "I am the Night" (a great episode where Gordon gets shot) Batman looks down into his cave and uses the "gaze into the abyss" line.

This got me thinking of other Watchmen references in other media.

There are naturally tons in "Heroes"

* Sylar used to be a watchmaker.
* Nikki/Jessica has a Rorschach test on her bedroom wall.
* Destruction of New York by an unknown force...

So what other references (non-comic) have you seen?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:51 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

hurm.
I dunno about those batman references. It's totally possible, given the common medium and everything, it would make sense. But Pagliacci is a pretty famous opera that like, any educated person has heard of and knows the basics of. And the abyss line is another ridiculously well-known quote; just about every FBI "profiler" uses that line in the books they write.
I don't watch Heroes so I can't really comment on that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:20 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Magic M wrote:
I was just watching the DVD box set of Batman The Animated Series (which is just awesome by the way) and I spotted a little Watchmen In-Joke that I'm sure most people would miss...

In the episode "Birds of a Feather", The Penguin goes to the opera which features a crying tenor dressed as a clown. The name of the opera was "I, Pagliacci"!

Also in the episode "I am the Night" (a great episode where Gordon gets shot) Batman looks down into his cave and uses the "gaze into the abyss" line.

This got me thinking of other Watchmen references in other media.

There are naturally tons in "Heroes"

* Sylar used to be a watchmaker.
* Nikki/Jessica has a Rorschach test on her bedroom wall.
* Destruction of New York by an unknown force...

So what other references (non-comic) have you seen?

Pagliacci and 'Gaze into the Abyss' are hardly references to Watchmen. Paggliaci is a well-known opera, and the 'Gaze' quote by Nietszche has been famous since before Watchmen is published.

The only reference to Watchman I've spotted so far are:

1. one panel is the Sandman series, where there's a smiley with a trail of blood splattered on it.
2. the other one is in Kingdom Come, where you can see the "Who Watches the Watchmen" graffiti in the background.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:59 pm 
Vigilante

I once read a Batman comic, animated in the style of "Batman The animated series". I forget what it was called,but it was a collection of stories. In one of them Killer Croc fights a Wrestler called "The Masked Marauder" who looks a lot like Hooded Justice, and his signature move is the "Enola Gay" maneuver, or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:00 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Nostalgia wrote:

1. one panel is the Sandman series, where there's a smiley with a trail of blood splattered on it.
I can't believe this is the first I've heard of it. Which panel is this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:29 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:

I can't believe this is the first I've heard of it. Which panel is this?

It's found in the 'Boss Smiley' story in Book 9: World's End. Issue 54, Page 18, Panel 3.

Pinned on the T-shirt of the alleged killer, at the exact same location as the one on the Comedian's costume.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 am 
Vigilante

There are several others in Kingdom Come as well. Under the Hood is visable in a bookstore window and Rorschach is seen twice in the "hero" bar, even breaking a finger in one pannel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:31 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

In the Top Ten: Smax miniseries Rorschach can be seen walking with The Question in Transworld Station.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

With its echoing flashbacks and copious easter eggs, I've always considered the TV series LOST to be an extended structural homage to Watchmen. Series co-creator Damon Lindelof even has a fan-blurb on the back cover of the current TPB: "THE GREATEST PIECE OF POPULAR FICTION EVER PRODUCED." (A sentiment that I and many on this board would share, I'm sure.)

Of course, LOST isn't as crass as Heroes in strip-mining Watchmen for plot points, but it does deserve comparison. Consider, if you will:

-- The action of the series takes place on a mysterious island that has been used by a secret organization for unclear purposes, the reasons for which are only gradually revealed over time.

-- The backstories for each main character are not told in the "present" timeframe, but through past (and now future) flashbacks that directly coincide with some element of the present.

-- After being exposed to the exotic energies of an imploding scientific research station, the character of Desmond gains the ability to see the future, and even becomes conscious of his own flashbacks, actually re-experiencing events that happened to him in his past, a la Dr. Manhattan.

There's probably more buried in there, but these are some of the more obvious ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:19 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

In "Mouse Guard: Fall 1152" there is the quote

Quote:
It is not We who are trapped in with them, But THEY who are trapped in with us!

It seems Midnight was reading MAlcolm Long's reports before storming Lockhaven...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:46 pm 
I DID IT!

The Question #17 (1988)

Watchmen as a GN in the DCU!

:D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:01 pm 
Minuteman

Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 pm 
Close to locating a gluino.

last week's deadpool #1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:15 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

DrFünkehattan wrote:
With its echoing flashbacks and copious easter eggs, I've always considered the TV series LOST to be an extended structural homage to Watchmen. Series co-creator Damon Lindelof even has a fan-blurb on the back cover of the current TPB: "THE GREATEST PIECE OF POPULAR FICTION EVER PRODUCED." (A sentiment that I and many on this board would share, I'm sure.)

Of course, LOST isn't as crass as Heroes in strip-mining Watchmen for plot points, but it does deserve comparison. Consider, if you will:

-- The action of the series takes place on a mysterious island that has been used by a secret organization for unclear purposes, the reasons for which are only gradually revealed over time.

-- The backstories for each main character are not told in the "present" timeframe, but through past (and now future) flashbacks that directly coincide with some element of the present.

-- After being exposed to the exotic energies of an imploding scientific research station, the character of Desmond gains the ability to see the future, and even becomes conscious of his own flashbacks, actually re-experiencing events that happened to him in his past, a la Dr. Manhattan.

There's probably more buried in there, but these are some of the more obvious ones.

I stopped watching Lost quite a while ago, but I remember that there was a pudgy old guy named Bernard who had a wife named Rosa.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Door wrote:
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian:

ahhh!!!!!1
I read Death a few years before Watchmen so I never picked up on that. awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:09 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Door wrote:
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian

I'm reading Alan's D.R. and Quinch (did you manage to get it, ian?) does as well....I know it was made a long time before Watchmen, but you can't help but wonder...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 am 
Close to locating a gluino.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Door wrote:
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian

I'm reading Alan's D.R. and Quinch (did you manage to get it, ian?) does as well....I know it was made a long time before Watchmen, but you can't help but wonder...

not yet... i will though. i'm so broke at the moment, it's hilarious. plus i have an amazon wish list with hundreds of items i have to get through.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

iancontinence wrote:
last week's deadpool #1

I have a question, did Moore craft that quote, or is it one he borrowed?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:35 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Smutty wrote:
I stopped watching Lost quite a while ago, but I remember that there was a pudgy old guy named Bernard who had a wife named Rosa.

Right you are! Bernard's wife on LOST is actually named Rose with an E, but that's close enough for my purposes. I'm guessing that you might have bailed out of the show during the shakier episodes of Season 2 or early Season 3; over the last season-and-a-half, it's gotten MUCH better. The Season 4 finale is two of my favorite hours of television ever.

One of the best things to happen to LOST over the last two seasons is the emergence of the duplicitous Henry Gale, (AKA Benjamin Linus) a character played by the creepily magnetic character actor Michael Emerson. As another Watchmen link, around the time that casting was underway on Watchmen, Emerson was one of the names being floated in the fan media to play Rorschach, and I would've supported him in that role wholeheartedly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:36 pm 
Crimebuster

Continuing on the Lost tangent...

-Henry Gale comes to the island on a big red hot air balloon with a smiley face on the top of it.

- The way Desmond and Penny's picture is presented and then the way we are shown the moment it's taken is straight out of the pages of Watchmen. See Dr. Manhattan and Janey's picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next