WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:48 am 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:09 am
Posts: 45
I was just watching the DVD box set of Batman The Animated Series (which is just awesome by the way) and I spotted a little Watchmen In-Joke that I'm sure most people would miss...

In the episode "Birds of a Feather", The Penguin goes to the opera which features a crying tenor dressed as a clown. The name of the opera was "I, Pagliacci"!

Also in the episode "I am the Night" (a great episode where Gordon gets shot) Batman looks down into his cave and uses the "gaze into the abyss" line.

This got me thinking of other Watchmen references in other media.

There are naturally tons in "Heroes"

* Sylar used to be a watchmaker.
* Nikki/Jessica has a Rorschach test on her bedroom wall.
* Destruction of New York by an unknown force...

So what other references (non-comic) have you seen?

_________________
...like Coke in green glass bottles. They don't make it any more...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:51 am 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:04 am
Posts: 235
hurm.
I dunno about those batman references. It's totally possible, given the common medium and everything, it would make sense. But Pagliacci is a pretty famous opera that like, any educated person has heard of and knows the basics of. And the abyss line is another ridiculously well-known quote; just about every FBI "profiler" uses that line in the books they write.
I don't watch Heroes so I can't really comment on that.

_________________
Image
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:20 pm 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/ Auckland, New Zealand
Magic M wrote:
I was just watching the DVD box set of Batman The Animated Series (which is just awesome by the way) and I spotted a little Watchmen In-Joke that I'm sure most people would miss...

In the episode "Birds of a Feather", The Penguin goes to the opera which features a crying tenor dressed as a clown. The name of the opera was "I, Pagliacci"!

Also in the episode "I am the Night" (a great episode where Gordon gets shot) Batman looks down into his cave and uses the "gaze into the abyss" line.

This got me thinking of other Watchmen references in other media.

There are naturally tons in "Heroes"

* Sylar used to be a watchmaker.
* Nikki/Jessica has a Rorschach test on her bedroom wall.
* Destruction of New York by an unknown force...

So what other references (non-comic) have you seen?


Pagliacci and 'Gaze into the Abyss' are hardly references to Watchmen. Paggliaci is a well-known opera, and the 'Gaze' quote by Nietszche has been famous since before Watchmen is published.

The only reference to Watchman I've spotted so far are:

1. one panel is the Sandman series, where there's a smiley with a trail of blood splattered on it.
2. the other one is in Kingdom Come, where you can see the "Who Watches the Watchmen" graffiti in the background.

_________________
"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."
- Søren Kierkegaard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:59 pm 
Offline
Vigilante

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 68
Location: In your fridge!
I once read a Batman comic, animated in the style of "Batman The animated series". I forget what it was called,but it was a collection of stories. In one of them Killer Croc fights a Wrestler called "The Masked Marauder" who looks a lot like Hooded Justice, and his signature move is the "Enola Gay" maneuver, or something like that.

_________________
"What ever the nature of this conspiracy; David Hasselhoff responsible."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:00 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Nostalgia wrote:
The only reference to Watchman I've spotted so far are:

1. one panel is the Sandman series, where there's a smiley with a trail of blood splattered on it.
I can't believe this is the first I've heard of it. Which panel is this?

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:29 am 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/ Auckland, New Zealand
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Nostalgia wrote:
The only reference to Watchman I've spotted so far are:

1. one panel is the Sandman series, where there's a smiley with a trail of blood splattered on it.
I can't believe this is the first I've heard of it. Which panel is this?


It's found in the 'Boss Smiley' story in Book 9: World's End. Issue 54, Page 18, Panel 3.

Pinned on the T-shirt of the alleged killer, at the exact same location as the one on the Comedian's costume.

_________________
"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."
- Søren Kierkegaard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:05 am 
Offline
Vigilante
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 66
There are several others in Kingdom Come as well. Under the Hood is visable in a bookstore window and Rorschach is seen twice in the "hero" bar, even breaking a finger in one pannel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:31 am 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
In the Top Ten: Smax miniseries Rorschach can be seen walking with The Question in Transworld Station.

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Ohio
With its echoing flashbacks and copious easter eggs, I've always considered the TV series LOST to be an extended structural homage to Watchmen. Series co-creator Damon Lindelof even has a fan-blurb on the back cover of the current TPB: "THE GREATEST PIECE OF POPULAR FICTION EVER PRODUCED." (A sentiment that I and many on this board would share, I'm sure.)

Of course, LOST isn't as crass as Heroes in strip-mining Watchmen for plot points, but it does deserve comparison. Consider, if you will:

-- The action of the series takes place on a mysterious island that has been used by a secret organization for unclear purposes, the reasons for which are only gradually revealed over time.

-- The backstories for each main character are not told in the "present" timeframe, but through past (and now future) flashbacks that directly coincide with some element of the present.

-- After being exposed to the exotic energies of an imploding scientific research station, the character of Desmond gains the ability to see the future, and even becomes conscious of his own flashbacks, actually re-experiencing events that happened to him in his past, a la Dr. Manhattan.

There's probably more buried in there, but these are some of the more obvious ones.

_________________
"The light is taking me to pieces, and I'm afraid I just blue myself."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:19 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
In "Mouse Guard: Fall 1152" there is the quote

Quote:
It is not We who are trapped in with them, But THEY who are trapped in with us!


It seems Midnight was reading MAlcolm Long's reports before storming Lockhaven...

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:46 pm 
Offline
I DID IT!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 pm
Posts: 549
Location: Wales, UK
The Question #17 (1988)

Watchmen as a GN in the DCU!

:D

_________________
"Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:01 pm 
Offline
Minuteman
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Poland
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 pm 
Offline
Close to locating a gluino.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 836
Location: Dublin, Ireland
last week's deadpool #1

Image
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:15 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
DrFünkehattan wrote:
With its echoing flashbacks and copious easter eggs, I've always considered the TV series LOST to be an extended structural homage to Watchmen. Series co-creator Damon Lindelof even has a fan-blurb on the back cover of the current TPB: "THE GREATEST PIECE OF POPULAR FICTION EVER PRODUCED." (A sentiment that I and many on this board would share, I'm sure.)

Of course, LOST isn't as crass as Heroes in strip-mining Watchmen for plot points, but it does deserve comparison. Consider, if you will:

-- The action of the series takes place on a mysterious island that has been used by a secret organization for unclear purposes, the reasons for which are only gradually revealed over time.

-- The backstories for each main character are not told in the "present" timeframe, but through past (and now future) flashbacks that directly coincide with some element of the present.

-- After being exposed to the exotic energies of an imploding scientific research station, the character of Desmond gains the ability to see the future, and even becomes conscious of his own flashbacks, actually re-experiencing events that happened to him in his past, a la Dr. Manhattan.

There's probably more buried in there, but these are some of the more obvious ones.


I stopped watching Lost quite a while ago, but I remember that there was a pudgy old guy named Bernard who had a wife named Rosa.

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 pm 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:04 am
Posts: 235
Door wrote:
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian:
Image


ahhh!!!!!1
I read Death a few years before Watchmen so I never picked up on that. awesome.

_________________
Image
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:09 am 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8538
Location: A stronger world
Door wrote:
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian


I'm reading Alan's D.R. and Quinch (did you manage to get it, ian?) does as well....I know it was made a long time before Watchmen, but you can't help but wonder...

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 am 
Offline
Close to locating a gluino.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 836
Location: Dublin, Ireland
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Door wrote:
Death in "Death-The High Cost of Living" wears a smiley face badge in the same place as Comedian


I'm reading Alan's D.R. and Quinch (did you manage to get it, ian?) does as well....I know it was made a long time before Watchmen, but you can't help but wonder...


not yet... i will though. i'm so broke at the moment, it's hilarious. plus i have an amazon wish list with hundreds of items i have to get through.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
iancontinence wrote:
last week's deadpool #1

Image
Image


I have a question, did Moore craft that quote, or is it one he borrowed?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:35 pm 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Ohio
Smutty wrote:
I stopped watching Lost quite a while ago, but I remember that there was a pudgy old guy named Bernard who had a wife named Rosa.


Right you are! Bernard's wife on LOST is actually named Rose with an E, but that's close enough for my purposes. I'm guessing that you might have bailed out of the show during the shakier episodes of Season 2 or early Season 3; over the last season-and-a-half, it's gotten MUCH better. The Season 4 finale is two of my favorite hours of television ever.

One of the best things to happen to LOST over the last two seasons is the emergence of the duplicitous Henry Gale, (AKA Benjamin Linus) a character played by the creepily magnetic character actor Michael Emerson. As another Watchmen link, around the time that casting was underway on Watchmen, Emerson was one of the names being floated in the fan media to play Rorschach, and I would've supported him in that role wholeheartedly.

_________________
"The light is taking me to pieces, and I'm afraid I just blue myself."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:36 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Continuing on the Lost tangent...

-Henry Gale comes to the island on a big red hot air balloon with a smiley face on the top of it.

- The way Desmond and Penny's picture is presented and then the way we are shown the moment it's taken is straight out of the pages of Watchmen. See Dr. Manhattan and Janey's picture.

_________________
None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.111s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]