WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:17 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interview ... erview.htm

He says he's heard of it, but didn't copy anything from it. Which is BS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Album cover by Swedish punk band Strebers:
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-80499/strebers/bild/omslag/i.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:56 pm 
Crimebuster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interviews/Bird/Bird_Interview.htm

Wow. That's just...wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Lord Ruthven wrote:
Animal Man #16 by Grant Morrison.

"The Clockwork Crimes of the Time Commander" (October 1989)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who Watches the Watchmen) is written on a toilet cubicle wall in the comic. Also, as seen on the cover (via link above) and throughout the comic itself, the Time Commander has a timepiece which is permanently set at 5 to 12 :)

The quote from Juvenal surfaces several times in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, particularly the ones involving Commander of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch Sam Vimes (though Vimes's general distrust of everyone has lead him to wonder who watches the watcher watching the watchmen as well, because that's just another level of someone calling ethical superiority).

There was an episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender that involved a rebel leader destroying an occupied town in order to destroy the invaders, and seeing the actual residents of the town as an acceptable sacrifice to make in the name of freedom. The heroes arrived too late to stop him, and they showed the damage in strong detail (though, this being a kids' show, it turned out that another one of the heroes that had gotten separated from the pack managed to warn the innocent villagers to flee before it happened). This may have been a Watchmen reference, given that the creators of that show are pretty steeped in pop culture, or it may have been a coincidence.

In a case of references flowing the other way, I have a strong belief that the look of movie!Veidt was influenced by David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth:

There are some vague character similarities as well, but not enough for me to think that Veidt was actually written to homage Newton in the GN. I think the movie was likely shooting for a physical resemblance, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:02 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

BUMP BECAUSE I FOUND ONE THIS MORNING:

The Rum Runner logo shows up in Repo! The Genetic Opera as an advertisement in several scenes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:26 pm 
Crimebuster

I don't know if anyone postyed this but I saw some Rorscrach and Ryoko Asakura pics, I will post some later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:26 pm 
Human Bean Juice

The South Park episode "The Coon" is full of Watchmen references. There's a poster of Obama the resembles the Nixon "FOUR MORE YEARS" image. Cartman dresses up as the Coon and talks and acts a lot like Rorschach (including a rather amusing scene where he mistakes a couple's goodnight kiss as an attempted rape.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:50 am 
Tired of Earth.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interviews/Bird/Bird_Interview.htm

He says he didn't have any inspiration from Fantastic Four, but rather that of the family archetype. Apart from the fact that all four of their powers are just about entirely copied over, I'd say BULL.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:29 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

meganphntmgrl wrote:
BUMP BECAUSE I FOUND ONE THIS MORNING:

The Rum Runner logo shows up in Repo! The Genetic Opera as an advertisement in several scenes.

This is completely off topic but what's with girls and Repo! The Genetic Opera?

I guess I'll find out Tuesday because the movie club at my school is showing that and Little Shop of Horrors.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:46 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I'm not sure Godziller, I thought Repo! was a piece of crap and tried too much to be like Rocky Horror of the new century.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I doubt anyone has posted this, but it's from chapter ofur of Invincible book 2, I was just flippig through the book that I just purchased today and know nothing of th eplot other than that there is a superhero murder and the critter on the right is investigating

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7