WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:18 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Thus far, I've succeeded in making two of my friends and my brother read Watchmen. Two of the three, at least, loved it. So... how many people have you managed to convert to Watchmen (and intend to before March 3rd)?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:24 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

My 'waiting list' of people who've heard me talking about the GN and want to read it is six people long. *grins* And I'm dressing up as Rorschach for Halloween...so it'll probably get a lot longer. Plus I bought my uncle a copy for his birthday.

I had one friend who read all the way through chapter three and then put it down. She said she couldn't get into it. I tried to get her to at least read chapter four ("Come on! Funky things with time! Beautiful writing! Philosophy! Pweeese???"), but no such luck. Ah well. :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:32 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

I lent it to three friends as soon as I finished reading it for the first time...since then I've influenced maybe 3 or 4 people to eventually buy it, and recently the combined efforts of Lord Ruthven and I have persuaded 3 people to buy it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:17 pm 
I DID IT!

AYBGerrardo wrote:
I lent it to three friends as soon as I finished reading it for the first time...since then I've influenced maybe 3 or 4 people to eventually buy it, and recently the combined efforts of Lord Ruthven and I have persuaded 3 people to buy it!

Imagine what we could do if we really tried :lol:

I've influenced 5 or 6 to buy it, while finding out a few more had read it whom I thought had no interest in such things at all. One couple have put the new hardcover edition on their upcoming wedding list!

If it wasn't for financial crap recently I was going to buy a bunch of copies and give them away via my LiveJournal. If things improve soon enough then I still plan on doing that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:56 pm 
Vigilante

I tried this very day, total failure...too much sugar and coffee

Last edited by Tada on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:19 pm 
Minuteman

Four:
Two have finished, loved it, and bought their own copies.

Two are still reading (one has mine, one bought their own).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:20 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I haven't convinced anyone to buy a copy, but everyone who I know who saw The Dark Knight also mentioned it, so I gave them a fill-in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I got two friends to read it (since the trailer stoked their interest) and they both really loved it. Even better, I got my current girlfriend to read it — she loved it, can't wait for the movie, and we've had many deep, occasionally intense discussions about the book! What can I say, she's a keeper. : )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:15 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

At least 5. I plan on giving it to at least two people in December.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:25 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Three of my friends, my brother, and my dad.

Last edited by BlackDoomShadow on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:08 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I've reccommended it to some people on other forums who have since read it, but I think that was just the general fanfare over the film rather than my own doing.

As for friends in real life, zero. I have tried talking to one friend who I thought would be open to reading it, but so far he hasn't been interested. I brought it up to another friend who was doing a psyche class in Uni and was surprised I knew so much about the Kitty Genovese case, she seemd interested, but hasn't read it yet. I should try and convince another guy who reads Punisher to check it out, but apart from that, none of them read comic books, and most likely won't be swayed easily. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:10 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I've lend my copy of the GN to a friend and 2 of my cousins once I finished reading the book (that was LONG before Snyder was even rumoured to be the director of Watchmen). None of them really liked it though. :cry: My friend dislike the B grade scifi ending, while my cousins find it too dark & bleak for their taste. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:16 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I have a four person waiting list for my copy and at least one other who read it because of me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:13 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Hmmm... probably 5 or 6 of my friends have read it after I told them about it... and I keep recommending it to others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm 
Minuteman

Quite a lot I think - I bought the comics when they came out in the 80s and then the novel in 87 - I've lent it to several people since then and recommended it to dozens of others - most of which have bought their own copy and loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:06 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Over the last 10+ years, I've lent the book to a bunch of my friends, bought it as a present for several, and have vociferously recommended it to many, many more. At this point, I'm not even counting. Suffice to say that I've had to re-buy the book more than once because my lender copy wouldn't always come back...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:15 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

One friend is currently on chapter 6. His current impression is "this is the best book ever."

Could be worse.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:40 pm 
Tired of Earth.

BlackDoomShadow wrote:
One friend is currently on chapter 6. His current impression is "this is the best book ever."

Could be worse.
Bring him over here when he's done, won't you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 pm 
New Frontiersman

I got my dad to read it. He very much enjoyed it and wants to read it again before the movie comes out. My sister has expressed an interest in reading it. A friend who read my old blog saw me raving about it all the time and read it, loved it, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 am 
New Frontiersman

Over the years I've introduced about 30 people to Watchmen, lending out successive copies of the GN. All except one though it was brilliant, and the other is someone I don't speak to any more :)

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next