WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:50 am 
Minuteman

I tried to get my mother to read it, but she was complaining that the print was too small for her to read.
My father isn't too supportive of my interests, so he‘ll never read it.
And my sisters too young to read it.

But, on Monday, I'm lending my copy to a friend. After she's done reading, I'm lending it to another friend.
I hope the don't try to steal it from me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:50 am 
Crimebuster

I've got one person reading it right now and two more that I think will want to read it when she's done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:26 pm 
Minuteman

Captain Carnage wrote:
I got two friends to read it (since the trailer stoked their interest) and they both really loved it. Even better, I got my current girlfriend to read it — she loved it, can't wait for the movie, and we've had many deep, occasionally intense discussions about the book! What can I say, she's a keeper. : )

YOU TOO!?!?!?!
we are lucky men, my friend.

but so, yeah, I got my dad started on it, my girlfriend finished it, got a friend to buy it (who finished), got another friend to read it, and a third friend got it from the library. and suggested it to countless others.
they all loved it so far!

whoo watchmen!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:53 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

My brother and I are in this together, so add four more people into the list.
It's not so easy, though, I've come cross otherwise intelligent open-minded people who don't even want to bother with the movie because they're not into "superhero stuff"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:25 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

In 2008 I introduced watchmen to 4 people and 2 of them became fans. This year another friend of mine is reading and he is at chapter V now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:01 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Teachers and Students a like are being over taken by Watchmen at my school, it is seriously spreading like wild fire with jocks and nerds both counting down until the movie... your welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 pm 
Crimebuster

I introduced a friend recently.
She absolutely hated it!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:18 pm 
So impotent.

I influenced everyone in my classes so about 100 people. I'm contagious and loud so whatever I say is heard by everyone...and I never stop talking about comics/Watchmen/Batman/graphic novels. (:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:43 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Brother-in-law reading it now. Am going to purchase a paperback copy to lend out so I can keep the hardcover (which was a Christmas present from my guy) at home.
Stepdad gets it next, then one of my students.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 am 
Nothing ever ends.

I've been talking about it to EVERYONE and urging them all to see the movie.

Here's hoping the movie isn't incomprehensible if you haven't read the book! *crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:01 pm 
Vigilante

I have a friend who lives in San Francisco, and I convinced her to go to Wondercon with me this past weekend so we could spend time together. And then somehow managed to talk her into going to the Watchmen panel on Saturday. It was like pulling teeth. She isn't a comic fan and is even less of a movie fan (she cant watch things longer than half an hour)
She seemed really miserable and I actually felt bad about making her go. They showed the first 20 mins or so of the film, which she said was interesting. And nothing else.

While waiting at the terminal for my flight on Sunday night, I received a text from her saying:
"I went out and bought a copy of Watchmen, i like....need to know what happens, but there's still no way I'm sitting through a film that long..."
=D I can't wait to see what she thinks of it.

Prior to this weekend, the only person I've convinced to read it was my boyfriend, who loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:14 pm 
Crimebuster

I've got three people going to the midnight screening of the movie with me. Two whom I got to read the graphic novel and one who hasn't despite my best efforts. I expect he'll want to after he's seen the movie.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:04 am 
Alien Squid Monster

My friend Ed^^Our group were doing a secret santa thing, and my friend Jess got him, so I suggested she buy him the graphic novel haha. He's coming with me on release day to watch it.

Also got my friend Nicky to buy it over Facebook.She left me a comment saying 'Oh no, I really wanted to see this film but I just found it has rape in it :('. I proceeded to bombard her with reasons why she should read the novel to understand why this happens etc.etc.

I think she said she'd buy it...Probably just to get me off her back xD

So only two, but I'm proud of those! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:23 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I got my dad to start reading it about a week ago, he really wants to see the movie and wants to read it first.

He's about 5 chapters in, loves it, and thinks Doc Manhattan is the Big Bad.

Oh, won't he be surprised. hehe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 pm 
Vigilante

I got my best friend and my co-worker to read the graphic novel, and I'll be seeing the movie with each of them on opening weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:16 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Here's my contribution...and I'm fucking proud of it.
I recommended the GN to my AP Lang/Lit teacher from last year. She's not into comics, but she has read at least one. She made us read Maus as an assignment, so I figured she might go for Watchmen. Turns out she did. She picked up a copy and ready it this week. And the best part? She has since made it into required reading for all her AP classes. Everyone in those classes has to read and discuss Watchmen in depth for a grade!
FUCK YES 8-)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:09 am 
Alien Squid Monster

diego1235467 wrote:
Here's my contribution...and I'm fucking proud of it.
I recommended the GN to my AP Lang/Lit teacher from last year. She's not into comics, but she has read at least one. She made us read Maus as an assignment, so I figured she might go for Watchmen. Turns out she did. She picked up a copy and ready it this week. And the best part? She has since made it into required reading for all her AP classes. Everyone in those classes has to read and discuss Watchmen in depth for a grade!
FUCK YES 8-)

Now that is good going!

For my own part, introduced boyfriend. Boyfriend's mates saw trailer. All geeks. One in particular annoyed I'd been a fan since way back, yet he'd never heard of it, and I'm female... 8-) Asked to borrow GN. I looked down, and whispered "Maybe". All since seen movie. All now either own GN or on list to borrow one of my copies. Majority of my own friends remain uninterested. Must remember to investigate further.

So about 6 then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:17 pm 
Crimebuster

three so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:11 pm 
Minuteman

I'm working on getting my dad to read it. I showed him the first chapter of the motion comic the other day and he said he really got into it, so hopefully we can continue watching that.

I also mentioned to my philosophy teacher that it went over a lot of interesting themes that would be great for discussion in class (i.e. free will vs. determinism, does the end justify the means, how do we decide who has moral authority over others) and that it would be great if we could read it for the class. She said that, because we already have a lot of reading, she doesn't want to give us anymore, but that she might organize a trip to go see the movie (if she clears it with the school; I'm in high school, so the rules are stricter than college). While that's not ideal, it would still be cool to do (though admittedly a little awkward during the sex scene) and, if it grabs my classmates' and her interests, it could introduce three new people to the GN (it's a very, very small philosophy class).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:45 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

I FINALLY GOT MY SISTER TO READ IT!!!!

This is a major breakthrough as she is a Twilight obsessive. I think part of the reason why she is reading it is to try to prove that Twilight is as good as, if not better than Watchmen. With this mindset I don't think she will look in too much detail at it, and probably overlook a lot of it as she is desperate to prove it is inferior to Twilight. I might have more luck if she read V of Vendetta as she likes the art in it.
Still you've got to start somewhere.

Twilight and Black Freighter have the same release date. There will be blood for control of the DVD player!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next