WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: After a re-read...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:29 am 
New Frontiersman

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Just noticed this and thought it was pretty interesting. Chapter 11, Page 2: Ozymandias is watching his bank of televisions at Karnak. There a 18 screens visible in the panel - 9 on the left and 9 on the right. Just like the standard 9 panel per page layout in the graphic novel.

So he's watching, like we're watching...

oh that's some scary shit! it's like we're watching his back, and through his montor, he's watching our back! :P

I just realise somehting too, in the same particular page, panel 4, you can see a reel tape besides Ozy, alluding as a radiation symbol. ;)

one thing that bugs me, they never showed any clock in the 'ten-ten' position, meaning the hour arm is at ten and the minute arm at 10 minutes. Art 101 would say that the 'ten-ten' position shows the clock is symmetrical and indicates a 'smiling face'. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:49 am 
So impotent.

namuras wrote:

Well, maybe the nuclear fear is still there. I don´t know if the same level than in the Cold War. Now there's not a "mutual destruction" scenario. There's not a "doomsday clock". When I was a child I had nightmares about a nuclear apocalypse. I don't know if young people feel the same with the "War on Terror". Maybe yes.

They have the fear, if in a bit different form. For example, when my 15 year old son found out that the Voyager Satellites had the location of Earth as part of their data, he was appalled that we gave out our address so freely. "You might as well have put a 'Free Buffet here!' sign on the thing!" He was only half joking.

Our children have grown up in a culture of fear, too, but the enemies are not so easily named and corralled as they were in the days of the Cold War. Global Warming, economic collapse, the strange man walking down the street. They're a far cry from the "Evil Empire;" it is much harder to put a face on and attach a "kill them before they kill you!" label to these fears.

From what I've gathered of the book in my two times through it, we live in Ozymandias' world now, not the Comedian's, and our children's fears reflect that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:10 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

welcome! nice post!
yes, i agree that the world is different now, but with the rise of china and the fear of iran we might again fear nuclear war (us brits included)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:13 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Well, China does have a massive army....

But us Canadians have nothing to worry about. Who's going to start a war with us? We're harmless 8-)

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:37 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

!hrum!useless!hrum!
lmao did you ever see "Big Sugar"?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:55 pm 
So impotent.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
welcome! nice post!
yes, i agree that the world is different now, but with the rise of china and the fear of iran we might again fear nuclear war (us brits included)

Thank you!

True, nuclear war could be a threat, but I think it's more along the lines of random hits rather than all out mutual destruction for now. Besides, China doesn't need to nuke us; they have us by the short hairs on the manufacturing front. Maybe we should hope for the alien invasion instead.

Post subject: Made in China
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:33 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

nonniemous wrote:
Besides, China doesn't need to nuke us; they have us by the short hairs on the manufacturing front. Maybe we should hope for the alien invasion instead.

What an odd way of viewing a mutually beneficial trade relationship. That's rather like saying Kroger has us by the short hairs on the frozen vegetables front.