WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easter Eggs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:07 am 
I DID IT!

Has anyone else brought up that the scarecrow in "Tales of The Black Freighter" (Chapter 10, Page 23 Panel 6) kinda resembles The Comedian's "gimp" mask? Particularly the squarish eye-slits and the "stitching" that goes straight down the middle of the head. I just noticed that for the first time recently.

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:00 am 
New Frontiersman

And, in yet another instance of fearful symmetry, it is the left eye of the gimp mask that is bisected by a downward slash design feature which eerily mirrors the marks that appear on the opposing right side of both Blake's own face and the face of his badge, the latter also straight through the eye in a neat piece of reverse foreshadowing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:31 pm 
So impotent.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet but on chapter 12 page 6, the Gay Women Against Rape poster has the G ripped off so that if you read down it says WAR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:04 pm 
New Frontiersman

That particular page is a veritable feast of easter eggery which I'm sure has undoubtedly come up beforehand but as we're on the subject:

The GWAR vagina dentata symbol is somewhat reminiscient of the big old dead alien squid nearby

The back page advertisement on the TOTBF comic becomes all too horribly prophetic: The Veidt Method - I will give you bodies beyond your widest imaginings

The lettering on the side of the Institute For Extraspatial Studies that isn't obscured by green squid gunk spells out OR ALL DIE (the second 'L' being formed by a piece of blown paper), the clear message being that if it weren't for this carnage caused by Veidt, the entire world would have perished by comparison

The plug on the detached spark hydrant dome cover, complete with blood splash, is undeniably smiley in appearance

The spark hydrant 'flash' symbol itself invokes a general 'superhero' vibe and calls to mind round smiley badges and clock faces as well as linear streaks of blood, clock hands, facial scars and Veidt's Nostalgia cologne logo

The Rorschach test card on the ground

The New York Gazette WAR? headlines

The irony of having a news stand directly destroyed and a purveyor of newspapers killed by the very creature that will be at the centre of the world's biggest ever story

It's been suggested that the general outline shape formed by the embracing dead Bernies is somewhat akin to that of the infamous smiley blood splash, with Bernard's outstretched left arm being the long streak through the eye of the badge (admittedly, I think it helps if you squint and use your imagination for this one!)

The chapter title has an especially meaningful and symbolic resonance in this case, A Stronger Loving World providing a stark contrast to the image above

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 am 
So impotent.

Somewhere in the first chapter there is a newspaper that say's Vietnam 51st state.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 pm 
Crimebuster

Chapter V, Page 16, Panel 4:
Right after Oxy's assassination attempt, there is blood on the rose on his lapel at the same position of the Five-To-Midnight bloodsplotch everywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Location: She is all States, and all Princes, I, nothing else is.
Two things I noticed today while flipping through the GN. The first most people probably caught, but I didn't till now, so I thought I'd share it here.

#1 In Chapter XI, p. 27, panel 3, you see glass at the Institute for Extraspatial Studies start to shatter, signifying the arrival of Veidt's squid. On p. 28, every panel with the background characters (panels 1-6) has a watch or a clock that shows it's 11:25.

Panel 1 - The two detectives' dashboard clock shows 11:25
Panel 2 - This is the only panel I'm not too sure on, but it looks like Joey's girlfriend has an 11:25 watch
Panel 3 - Malcolm's wife's watch reads 11:25
Panel 4 - A clock in the background shows 11:25
Panel 5 - The watchseller's spilled goods all read 11:25
Panel 6 - Young Bernie's watch reads 11:25

#2 Chapter XII, p. 10, panel 5 shows a little detail to Veidt's costume I didn't notice before. It figures most prominently here, but also shows up scattered across Chapter XII if you want to look for yourself. Notice something on Veidt's shoes? There's are little stylized "V"s on them! How's that for an egotrip! ;)

And the last one isn't really an easter egg but just a cute little panel that I've always liked. Chapter XI, p. 18, panel 9 shows Veidt's slow ascent to his Karnakian glory. Note that there's only three TVs, a more simplistic recording device, and at Veidt's feet, a wee little Bubastis-kitten! D'AAAWWWWWW :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:59 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

JiangWei23 wrote:
On p. 28, every panel with the background characters (panels 1-6) has a watch or a clock that shows it's 11:25.

Because he did it 35 minutes ago. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Location: She is all States, and all Princes, I, nothing else is.
AYBGerrardo wrote:
JiangWei23 wrote:
On p. 28, every panel with the background characters (panels 1-6) has a watch or a clock that shows it's 11:25.

Because he did it 35 minutes ago. :o

A~yup! Every panel just seems to hammer that point home.

I was discussing with my sister the possibility of making a Watchmen clock. The clock would have a strange feature though, if you set the alarm for 12:00, it would go off at 11:25 instead. How bizarre. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Comedian Carl wrote:
Has anyone else brought up that the scarecrow in "Tales of The Black Freighter" (Chapter 10, Page 23 Panel 6) kinda resembles The Comedian's "gimp" mask? Particularly the squarish eye-slits and the "stitching" that goes straight down the middle of the head. I just noticed that for the first time recently.

Yepp.

Soupdragon wrote:
The ugly scar was hidden by what some here call a gimp-mask. My take on it is that it resembles a scare-crow's stuffed head. (There's one in the pages of the Black Freighter). The colour-scheme is similar to the wizard of Oz' Scarecrow. Red nose, stitching all point to a "Jolly" fearsome attribute.

From this golden oldie... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 am 
Human Bean Juice

JiangWei23 wrote:
And the last one isn't really an easter egg but just a cute little panel that I've always liked. Chapter XI, p. 18, panel 9 shows Veidt's slow ascent to his Karnakian glory. Note that there's only three TVs, a more simplistic recording device, and at Veidt's feet, a wee little Bubastis-kitten! D'AAAWWWWWW :D

I never noticed that! Now I hate Veidt even more for killing the kitty! Oh, and 3 million New Yorkers... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:45 pm 
Vigilante

EmPiiRe x wrote:
Rorschach's mask actually has a few repeating patterns.

There's his "moral objectivism" face, seen at Ch. 1, pg. 24, panel 6, and again at Ch. 12, pg. 20, panel 7, and I'm sure a few more places that I've overlooked.

There's also his "Happy Harry's" face.

And probably one or two others.

There is one for surprise. When he finds the Comedian's secret closet, when he finds Moloch dead, and in the flashback to the Roche kidnapping/bone discovery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:34 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it), but the first and last pages of Chapter I are almost identical in their organization.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:35 pm 
Minuteman

The cover to Chapter III has
a. Near the top, what looks like the outline of a skull in profile
b. The Fallout Shelter sign is obscured by the smoke to read "All Hell" as in "All Hell Breaks Loose" (actually "all hel", but close enough)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

IceKeyHunter wrote:
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned (unless I missed it), but the first and last pages of Chapter I are almost identical in their organization.

Most all the Chapters begin and end similarly.

I. pan out from tall building
II. rain in cemetary
III. (flipped) radiation sign
IV. Doc on Mars
V. Rumrunner reflection in puddle
VI. "pretty butterfly" inkblot
VII. "Archie"
VIII. "Ingratitude" trophy
IX. darkness
X. <no similarity>
XI. white out
XII. <no similarity>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:56 pm 
New Frontiersman

ALL of the chapters, in fact:

X - begins and ends with someone in the act of studying the images on a screen (radar operator and Veidt with his bank of TVs).

XII - begins and ends with the stark image of a bright yellow circular symbol (clock face and T-shirt emblem respectively) stained with streaks of red (blood and ketchup). Of course, the closing image of Seymour's shirt bookends the entire series, replicating as it does the very first image seen way back at Chap. I.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:20 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

The silouhuette (sp?) of the two Bernies and the fade-to-white at the end of chapter XI mirrors the shape of the water drip and the fade-from-white at the start of the chapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm 
Vigilante

Just a little something I noticed, sorry if it's been pointed out before: end of chapter VI, Long's drugs are manufactured by Veidt industries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 pm 
New Frontiersman

So's his coffee machine, and Dan's kettle, and Bernie's sneakers, and Moloch's hairspray, and Hector Godfrey's overhead lamp, and Veidt's own computer and IF Subtractor (naturally), and...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:50 pm 
Vigilante

...everything in the world. From the comedian's bathrobe to Dan's calendar.

It seems no-one except him actually bothers to manufacture anything. No wonder he's a millionaire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next