WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easter Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

TheShoulderOfPallas wrote:
The silouhuette (sp?) of the two Bernies and the fade-to-white at the end of chapter XI mirrors the shape of the water drip and the fade-from-white at the start of the chapter.

More importantly, it's the shape of the blood splatter seen throughout the story...which in turn represents the hand of the Doomsday Clock that has just struck midnight with the Bernies' fatal embrace.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

XII.2
This is a full page panel where we see the destroyed Madison Square Garden. The words IN CONCERT are partially obscured to reveal INERT.

The band Krystalnacht refers to "The Night of Broken Glass" when on a single night, 91 Jews were murdered and 25,000–30,000 were arrested and deported to concentration camps. We see the sign next to plenty of broken glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht

The words MADISON SQUARE GARDEN are partially obscured to reveal SQUARE DEN. Given that we have a references to death and the holocaust, do you think "SQUARE DEN" is meant to refer to a coffin or gas chamber?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 pm 
New Frontiersman

Personally... no. "Square den" is nonsensical, a phrase that I've certainly never encountered as being a figurative term for anything, let alone what's been suggested.

I do think that the specific angle of the smoke drifting up past the Pale Horse poster is somewhat suggestive of that infamous streak of blood on the smiley badge, though (such a device having been used previously, most notably at VII.28.9); IN ERT I buy as an intentional reference but SQUARE DEN strikes me as being nothing more than a coincidental result of the positioning of the smoke trail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 pm 
Vigilante

Burgers N Borscht wrote:
XII.2
This is a full page panel where we see the destroyed Madison Square Garden. The words IN CONCERT are partially obscured to reveal INERT.

Ok, I know this isn't an easter egg....but can anyone here look at the bottom right of that pic and not see an angry monster face with yellow eyes and gaping black jaw surrounded by shards of broken glass teeth???

Freaking me out...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:33 pm 
New Frontiersman

Cool spot! Me likey!

Also, if you go check out the bottom left corner of that same page in the comic, you'll see poor Dr. Ed Corey crushed beneath a chunk of fallen masonry.

Who he? The chief physicist at the Institute For Extraspatial Studies, seen on only one previous occasion on Dan's TV at VII.13.6. Since the world is meant to believe that it was the inter-dimensional tinkering going on at the IFES that zapped the squid into our midst, at least the public face ostensibly in charge of the facility won't have to carry the can for three million deaths.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 am 
Minuteman

Speaking of the first pages in issue 12 I saw that the "or all die" and "war" and "inert" have all been mentioned, but I wasn't sure if the "Die" was mentioned. XII page 4 in the upper left hand corner the word Dinner is obscured to reveal "die" and the word Gunga ins cut off to show "gun" which is a possible foreshadowing of Laurie grabbing the gun 3 pages later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:21 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Longmoan wrote:
Burgers N Borscht wrote:
XII.2

Ok, I know this isn't an easter egg....but can anyone here look at the bottom right of that pic and not see an angry monster face with yellow eyes and gaping black jaw surrounded by shards of broken glass teeth???

Freaking me out...

Woah.
Gah! My brother-in-law has my GN! Can't go looking for more faces in the Squid-fallout pages. Pout.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:51 pm 
New Frontiersman

Not a hidden subliminal image, but there's always the downed Gunga Diner elephant blimp's face on the far left of XII.4!

In fact, on the preceding page 3, the rear end of the blimp propped up against the Utopia movie theatre doesn't look too dissimilar from a sad forlorn face, an anti-smiley as it were in the wake of such death and destruction; the holes torn either side form the eyes and the seal where the left hind leg meets the body creates a downturned mouth. With the join running down the middle the length of the elephant's rump, this image looks eerily akin to the Black Freighter scarecrow seen at X.23.6 and The Comedian's gimp mask into the bargain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:30 pm 
Vigilante

I am not sure if anybody has metiond this yet but i notced that at the begining of the book the blood on the happy face seems to mirror the position of the doomsday clock at the time, and after veidts plan the kid at the newpaper place spills some ketchup on his happy face shirt in the same position that the blood on the comedians pin was, I think that means that vedits plan did not stop nuclear war but postponed it, back to same amount of time it was away at the start of the book.

This is bob, Copy and paste him, and soon he will take over Youtube, WCM & The Internet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:42 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I too have always taken Seymour's shirt as a resetting of the clock. All he did was turn it back a few minutes, but nothing really ever ends.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:06 pm 
Watchmaker

EmPiiRe x wrote:
I too have always taken Seymour's shirt as a resetting of the clock. All he did was turn it back a few minutes, but nothing really ever ends.

I really like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:16 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

That is a nice thought, never heard of that before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm 
Minuteman

Did anyone else notice that the Tales of the Black Freighter seems to mimic things that are happening and being said around and between the two Bernies..?

bahahahaha. kidding, of course.
but reading all of these lil' easter eggs keeps making me love this GN more and more!!!

Okay, now a seirous one: (As with all of these, I'm sure it's been noticed and probably noted, but just in case, since I just found it) Chapter XII page 31 panel 5 the wall graffiti that once said "Who watches the watchmen" now says (even though it's obstructed by Seymour's leg, I'm going to assume) "Who watches the Skies"

Moore and Gibbons, you clever devils, you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm 
New Frontiersman

I think it's just meant to read Watch The Skies!, a common enough saying that grew out of the UFO mania of the 50s/60s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:25 pm 
Minuteman

People Must Be Told. wrote:
I think it's just meant to read Watch The Skies!, a common enough saying that grew out of the UFO mania of the 50s/60s.

Dang.
You're probably right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Not really an Easter Egg but on my last read I finally got the joke about the Manhattan Transfer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:02 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

IceKeyHunter wrote:
Not really an Easter Egg but on my last read I finally got the joke about the Manhattan Transfer.

Kinda lends a new meaning to their version of "Boy From New York City." :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 am 
Minuteman

Not much of an easter egg here either (and frankly I'm not sure if this is the right room for it, so if it's not, feel free to move it - I just didn't feel right creating a whole new thread about it), but Walter's middle name is Joseph - same as Peter Kovacs (Sylvia's (Walter's mom) first husband according to the "New York State Psychiatric Hospital" file in Chap. VI).

Off tangent; since I discovered this I've been curious as to WHY she'd name her son the same as her first husband seeing as they divorced (due to "mutual accusations of adultery and mental cruelty"), and it's mentioned that she never had contact with him again. Would it be spite? Like a "revenge" on Peter, but also giving herself a constant reminder of him through her son and almost beforehand planning to dislike Walter before he even got a chance?
Whatever the reason I don't think it's a coincidence Walter Kovacs and Peter Kovacs share the same name, but I've failed to figure out why. Could it be that she DID go back to him on a one-off fling and he IS Walter's father? I mean, normally it's custom for a child to carry on a middle name from his father/her mother, but unless Peter really was Walter's father I see no real reason for it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:37 pm 
New Frontiersman

Well, her full name is Sylvia Joanna Kovacs (nee Glick), yet another repeated example of a 'Jo-' name. Maybe her own father was a 'Joseph' (it's certainly a common enough name after all) and she carried a feminine form herself, deciding to pass it on to her own son in honour of the grandfather he presumably never knew either?

'Joseph' strikes me as being a good old blue collar, working class American name with built in connotations that seem appropriately fitting anyway (Honest Joe, Ordinary Joe, Average Joe, Joe Public...), a slice of Americana that the British Moore chose to reflect in his characters.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:58 pm 
Human Bean Juice

People Must Be Told. wrote:
Well, her full name is Sylvia Joanna Kovacs (nee Glick), yet another repeated example of a 'Jo-' name. Maybe her own father was a 'Joseph' (it's certainly a common enough name after all) and she carried a feminine form herself, deciding to pass it on to her own son in honour of the grandfather he presumably never knew either?

'Joseph' strikes me as being a good old blue collar, working class American name with built in connotations that seem appropriately fitting anyway (Honest Joe, Ordinary Joe, Average Joe, Joe Public...), a slice of Americana that the British Moore chose to reflect in his characters.

You forgot Joe the Plumber. And Joe Sixpack. Joe Camel. Someone stop me...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next