WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easter Eggs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

And I'm sure that if/when Walter realized that his father was named Joseph, he made the immediate connection and started thinking of himself as the Messiah.

It kinda fits. :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:10 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:22 pm 
So impotent.

I havent read through all of these posts but has anyone else noticed what looks like a pot plant in the vivarium in chapter 11 page 7 panel 1 then again on page 10 panel 4? im not antidrug but i thought it was funny because veidt starts talking about eating hashish in tibet a little while later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:24 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:23 pm 
Crimebuster

Sorry if anyone's already noted it. (didn't see it) You guys were talking about the name of Walter's father...

So Walter thinks his dad's name is Charlie/Charles.

In the scene where Rorschach shoots the guy with the grapple gun, all the cops start yelling for a fellow named Charlie. The name is also in bold. It even seems like Rorschach pauses momentarily, surprised.

Walter talks about his father like he's a heroic every-man, working for a day's wage. The cop most certainly isn't his father, but represents the same ideals, doesn't he? And then Rorschach shoots him.

It's a really surreal twist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Ticonderoga wrote:
Sorry if anyone's already noted it. (didn't see it) You guys were talking about the name of Walter's father...

So Walter thinks his dad's name is Charlie/Charles.

In the scene where Rorschach shoots the guy with the grapple gun, all the cops start yelling for a fellow named Charlie. The name is also in bold. It even seems like Rorschach pauses momentarily, surprised.

Walter talks about his father like he's a heroic every-man, working for a day's wage. The cop most certainly isn't his father, but represents the same ideals, doesn't he? And then Rorschach shoots him.

It's a really surreal twist.

That's pretty neat. Although I'm not sure if Rorschach's expression in that panel is exactly from the reaction of the name, though it can be taken that way...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 am 
New Frontiersman

Ticonderoga wrote:

Rorschach idolizes the father he never knew.
By turn, he just doesn't like cops - period.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 pm 
Vigilante

Not sure if this has been posted yet, becuase I havent read the whole thread but look at chp. 1 pg. 18 panel 4 and flip the book upside down, and you will see that mabey the film wasn't changing the story with the real doomsday clock.

This is bob, Copy and paste him, and soon he will take over Youtube, WCM & The Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 pm 
Crimebuster

Don't know if anyone already noticed this but...
In the Chapter "The Abyss Gazes Also", at the end (with Kovac's police files), there is a picture of young Walter outside of the Charlton Home, wearing an oversized pinstriped suit... does he use this same (or similar) pinstriped suit as part of his Rorschach getup, when he grows older? Hurm...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 pm 
Human Bean Juice

Hourglass wrote:
Don't know if anyone already noticed this but...
In the Chapter "The Abyss Gazes Also", at the end (with Kovac's police files), there is a picture of young Walter outside of the Charlton Home, wearing an oversized pinstriped suit... does he use this same (or similar) pinstriped suit as part of his Rorschach getup, when he grows older? Hurm...

Judging by the Thank-God-I-am-outta-there smile on his face, I think that the pinstriped suit his something that Walter would later associate as 'good' (aside from the death of Mommy Dearest some years later). Perhaps it is really Kovacs' first happy memory and thus dons the pinstripes again year later, as fighting crime makes him happy is a strange way. Perhaps it releaves his pent up sexual tension or something...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm 
Minuteman

Compare Ch. 2-cover, to Ch. 12-Pg. 7-Frame 1. The tear and facial expressions are the same

Ch. 9-Pg. 21-Frame 4. Look at the comedians badge and the way the whine goes onto it

Compare Ch. 1-Pg. 26, Ch. 9-Pg. 27/28. They both move out on a smiley face

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:48 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I've always been struck by the way Archie appears to be the opposite of how most flying ships are designed. The front of the ship (the 'eyes' and 'nose') are where you'd normally expect the engines and tail/rudder to be. Perhaps a subtle comment on the way Watchmen turns superhero fiction onto its head, or perhaps a reach...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

when Rorschach is sitting on the comedian's window in the beginning, there is a painting of a nude woman with blood on her stomach. Possibly a reference to the vietnamese woman.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 am 
Crimebuster

okay, i don't know if all of these can be called 'easter eggs,' and i hope i'm not repeating anybody since i just attempted reading the entire thread and ... mostly succeeded, but here goes:

-After Veidt kills those last couple of guys in his greenhouse-type thing, he opens the door and we see a buttefly escape. Later, on the page just before Rorschach is killed, we see the butterfly lying dead in the snow... Dr. Manhattan crushing it under his heel. a tiny allegory for Rorschach's death scene.

-at the end of the book, where Laurie and Dan are walking out of Laurie's mom's place in their new disguises, Laurie is talking about her new costume- 'something leather, w/ a mask over my face... also maybe i oughtta carry a gun.' Comedian much?

-after Rorschach retrieves his spare costume from his apartment after the jailbreak, we see it has an old stain on it... a blood stain. it is the same costume he wore the night he found the remains of that little girl and 'became Rorschach.' he died wearing the same suit he was 'born' in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:14 pm 
So impotent.

In the alternate reality of the watchmen pirate comics replace comics about super heroes. In chapter 12 near the end of the book there is a panel that shows Seymours veidt sneakers and under his feet there is a copy of a comic called tales from the morgue, after the death and destruction caused by veidts squid the public now has a taste for gory comics that deal with death

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Morning Glory wrote:
-After Veidt kills those last couple of guys in his greenhouse-type thing, he opens the door and we see a buttefly escape. Later, on the page just before Rorschach is killed, we see the butterfly lying dead in the snow... Dr. Manhattan crushing it under his heel. a tiny allegory for Rorschach's death scene.

"A pretty butterfly."

Hurm.

Which is what Rorschach said he saw (during session with Long) when he really saw a dog with head split open... "handled watch dogs before" he said looking at Anubis... who watched over the dead...

nice layers, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:19 am 
Crimebuster

Vynson wrote:
Morning Glory wrote:

"A pretty butterfly."

Hurm.

Which is what Rorschach said he saw (during session with Long) when he really saw a dog with head split open... "handled watch dogs before" he said looking at Anubis... who watched over the dead...

nice layers, eh?

it's mind-boggling, right? i want to take some of my scans and mash 'em together to show a "butterflies equal death" theme.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:19 am 
New Frontiersman

Many cultures worldwide have attached symbolic meaning to the butterfly, several of which resonate with the themes of WATCHMEN.

Mandarin Chinese culture actually regards the insect as being symbolic of a long life, whereas many others belief systems including those of ancient Greece, Russia and Ireland do indeed conversely link butterflies to death in so much as they are creatures considered to be the embodiment of the souls of those who have passed away. The ancient Greek word for a butterfly is "psyche". Other ancient mythologies consider the butterfly to stand for wisdom and everlating knowledge.

One can also regard the butterfly as being a metaphor for the human condition overall, if we consider some of the symbolism found in the Christian religion. In the grand scheme of things we all start out small, rather insignificant and seemingly all the same like the caterpillar but as we grow and flourish, our true identity and even beauty finally shows. Like a butterfly, we are all still different yet beautiful in our own way in the eyes of God. In this sense, the metamorphosis a butterfly undergoes is symbolic of the spiritual evolution all Christians should go through.

The insect of course lends its name to the so-called Butterfly Effect often espoused in discussion regarding Chaos Theory, the concept that the actions of just one single butterfly could eventually have a far-reaching ripple effect on the subsequent course of humanity and historic events. In this respect, several of the WATCHMEN characters can arguably be regarded as butterflies themselves: the chance accident that befell Jon Osterman which gave the world Dr Manhattan and all the ramifications thereof... the actions of Veidt and his plan to alter the path of human destiny... the journal scribblings of Rorschach which may lead to the downfall of Veidt's plan and set humanity off on an entirely different tangent for better or worse...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

IceKeyHunter wrote:
Not really an Easter Egg but on my last read I finally got the joke about the Manhattan Transfer.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THE JOKE! I don't get it. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:02 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

The Golden Idol wrote:
IceKeyHunter wrote:
Not really an Easter Egg but on my last read I finally got the joke about the Manhattan Transfer.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THE JOKE! I don't get it. :oops:

Please? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next