WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:27 am 
A brother to dragons.

Burgers N Borscht wrote:
People Must Be Told. wrote:
And whilst on the subject of XII.24.5: the smoking remains of Rorschach form the outline of the infamous blood splash which, if that scene were to be expanded and the surrounding landscape then viewed in its entirety from directly overhead akin to the manner in which the open Vivarium is depicted back at XI.12.4, would then present us with the best hidden smiley of all.

I'm stumped...do tell/show

I don't necessarily see where the eyes are, but Rorschach's blood smear is the right shape without question and, if you turn the book counter-clockwise a quarter turn or so, it's definitely in the right spot.

Far be it from me to impugn Alan's or Dave's creative process but the placement of this hidden smiley in particular borders on mental illness.

And I love them for it.

Post subject: Re: Easter Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm 
So impotent.

Newbie here!!! First post.
First I will like to say: THANKS for your hard work!!!!
I always wondered why people had so much fascination with WATCHMEN.
I got the graphic novel recently and as soon as I finished started reading again.
I noticed it does work in so many levels, it is ridiculous.
Anywho, I also read most of the posts. I think these had not been mentioned yet.
When the original Night Owl is killed, the statue "In Gratitude"' shadow projects against his face, and looks like his mask, with the statue folded arms precisely where his eyes are.
I will say with great respect that I'm surprised I can comment anything about Chapter 5 after BNB excellent dissection, hopefully I'm making relevant points.
I noticed that the symmetric Chaper V (V for Veidt) had a big roman number 5 (V) right in the middle of it.
Also, the first pannel (what should have been the cover) and the last panel are the same and the following 3 panels (Rorschach stepping on the puddle) are the same 3 pannels than when he returns to visit the already dead Moloch.
Also there is a part in which the newspaper stand Birnie is putting a tarp on the stand, the pannel before,a ToBF panel, the guy is in the same pose then Birnie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

People Must Be Told. wrote:
And whilst on the subject of XII.24.5: the smoking remains of Rorschach form the outline of the infamous blood splash which, if that scene were to be expanded and the surrounding landscape then viewed in its entirety from directly overhead akin to the manner in which the open Vivarium is depicted back at XI.12.4, would then present us with the best hidden smiley of all.

Vynson wrote:
In the comic, Rorschach's death splash looks like the famous blood spatter and if we imagine ourselves moving our POV up over where the vivarium was, we can see that it would resemble Blake's badge.

So, at least two of you think an overhead view of this panel's image forms another typical blood splash. Here's the panel:

and here's a rotated image:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with that interpretation. In the typical blood splash we see throughout the comic, we see that one side of the "arrow" has one "barb," and the other side has two. On the above panel, I'll give you that the main puddle looks like the main blood splatter, and that the single barb is well represented by the smaller attached puddle streak. But the above panel's puddle does not represent the "double barb" part of the typical blood splatter at all. We do see a little puddle in the background, but it's not attached to the main puddle. I feel if Gibbons really wanted to use this as an additional Easter Egg, he would have illustrated it as such. Let me know if I'm still missing something, or if Gibbons has stated that it's a second Easter Egg for that panel.

Post subject: Eggy in My Cap
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Burgers, wait!

Let's look at the earlier image as pointed out by Mr. People Must Be Told:

Now, when combined with the Rorschach blood smear from the panel you posted, we (kinda) get this:

Now that I've scanned the page in and everything, I can even see where one of the eyes should go: right where the Vietnamese men's bodies are, along with a piece of snow covered mouth:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I still don't see the smiley. I can agree with the bloodspatter, but I really don't think there are any eyes near it or anything.

I do, however, love the smiley created by tube, with the scooter and icycle being the eyes, the snow being the mouth, and the smoke being the bloodspatter.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Here's one I was suspicious about but only tonight bothered to do the calculations required to verify.

This one involves both the graphic novel and the Watchmen movie companion. The cover for the Tales of the Black Freighter comic used as a movie prop, prepared by Dave Gibbons, carries the number 307 (cover date Dec. 1985; as would be on the newstand in October 1985). According to the "Treasure Island Treasury of Comics" excerpt in Chapter 5 (GN), the first issue of TOTBF appeared in May 1960. So assuming a regular monthly run, this is precisely the issue number reached by the time of the Watchmen story. And the fact that the comic was currently publishing reprints is also noted, so the reappearance of the classic tale Marooned from issues 23 and 24 makes perfect sense in 1985. Even the cover artist "Feinberg" maintains the continuity established first in the GN.

Gibbons patently did this to reward the goofy obsessives like me who would bother to count the number of months/issues to see if 307 was 'right." Ha! Send me my No-Prize!

Last edited by piper909 on Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:32 am 
Minuteman

Not anEaster Egg per se but an "Oh I've only just noticed that" observation (is there a thread for those?)

Bernie (jnr), Chapter 11: "Stupid rip-off comic book doesn't even have an ending!"

Jon, Chapter 12: "Nothing ever ends, Adrian."

Genius!

ADE

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Well spotted! I like it! That's a good 'un.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 pm 
Minuteman

Not an easter egg, but an interessting detail:

Veidt (also written Veit and Veith) is a german name.
Adrians parents had have the names Friedrich Walter an Ingrid Renata
You can see it on their grave in Chapter 11, Page 8, Panel 4.

Ther once was a siant who called Veit or Vitus. It's said that he cure diseases.
In the Middle Ages was a psychotic epedemie. People dance till they have foam on ther lipps, collapses or die. They pray St. Veit for curing them from this epileptic dance.

So this dance was called "Veitstanz"
(i think "Veitstanz" is also used in english)

I wonder is Adrian the cure or the disease?

now to something diffrent ...
a little bit "iluminati" diffrent ...
a little bit scary ...

While writing this post I googled Veidt ...
and found Walther Veit ...

this guy is a Creationist, and in an Internet video he talks about armageddon ...

the viedo starts with a sign, a circle with a big outline - exactly the same circle on the gravestone of Veidts parents ...

Than comes the title:
"revealing. Gods roadmap to eternal peace" ...
Above the title was a little pictue of a anicent rome or greek emperor on a horse who holds up a sword ...

The website called "revealing - 6 - the inaugurated" The 6 probably means "Chapter 6" ...
but there were 6 People in Watchmen who knewed the truth: The Comedian, Dan, Laurie, Doc Manhattan, Rorschach and Adrian ...

I've only seen the first 30 secons - from 1 hour and 30 minutes
it's to much "illuminati" staff for me

... or I shouldn't eat that fish today

... Yes, I'm sure, there must be somthing in that fish ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

????? WTF? ?????

Post subject: Irreconcilible flaw
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:18 pm 
Minuteman

[NOTE: Merged here, for lack of a better option. --"Curiosity Inc."]

I've just discovered that, contrary to Watchmen October 12th 1985 was not a full moon, but a new moon. Silly error by Alan Moore.

X

Post subject: Re: Irreconcilible flaw
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:20 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

xman wrote:

I've just discovered that, contrary to Watchmen October 12th 1985 was not a full moon, but a new moon. Silly error by Alan Moore.

X

I heard that somewhere before but I can't remember where. I almost think Dave Gibbons said it on his commentary.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:33 am 
A pretty butterfly.

xman wrote:

X

Since you don't seem to have noticed, the moon is always full in Watchmen. It was intentionally done like that by Moore and Gibbons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:50 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Sasso wrote:
xman wrote:

X

Since you don't seem to have noticed, the moon is always full in Watchmen. It was intentionally done like that by Moore and Gibbons.

I'm pretty sure that I heard Dave Gibbons comment on the error though. It was definitely someone closely affiliated with Watchmen. I'm pretty sure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:20 am 
Tired of Earth.

i'm pretty sure the whole "moon always full" was yet another allusion to the smiley face.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:39 am 
Minuteman

Sasso wrote:
xman wrote:

X

My bad, Thank-you.

On a previous note. There's no need to rotate the frame at all. The smiley is easily identified. I have highlighted it in black.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16