WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: One in Three
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Frankly, I have never given this much thought before, but a post in the "Quiz" thread got me thinking...

I'd always assumed the graffiti that was upgraded from "one in eight go mad" to "one in three" was just an barometer of / commentary on the damage done by the psychic shock wave.

However, I flippantly answered that the one in eight that goes mad is Mothman (peace be upon him) and what if that was the meaning they were going for? One of the eight minutemen does kinda go mad. What if this grafitti was there to say something to the audience (like Veidt's assasination attempt is there to throw the reader off). Does the "three" now refer to Laurie, Adrain, and Dan-- the three (would-be crimebusters who remain on earth)? If so, do you think this is meant to indicate the creators wanted to convey that they thought Adrian had gone mad?

Post subject: Re: One in Three
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:00 pm 
A brother to dragons.

The eight: Captain Metro
Ozymandias
Silk Spectre
Dr. Manhattan
Rorschach
Nite Owl I
Comedian
Nite Owl II

By the time the "one in three..." graffito appears, five of the eight are dead or long gone, leaving three. I've always been under the impression that the original "one in eight..." was a sly clue as to who was responsible for the death of Blake, with the later spraypainted edit a neat little wave hello to everyone who noticed it in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Okay, I am totally dense, why those eight? Nelly is dead, Sally and Byron are alive but not on the list. I would have thought the eight were

Nite Owl I
Silk Spectre I
Captain Metropolis
Hooded Justice
Mothman
Dollar Bill
Silhouette
The Comedian

with Mothman being the one that went mad...

After Jon leaves, Walter bites it, the three that remain are

Adrian
Dan
Laruel

so who among them goes mad?

Or maybe 1 in 3 is also 2 in six, and the six left alive are

Byron
Sally
Jon
Adrian
Dan
Laurie

and Byron is nuts, so who is the other?

Broken Finger wrote:
The eight: Captain Metro
Ozymandias
Silk Spectre
Dr. Manhattan
Rorschach
Nite Owl I
Comedian
Nite Owl II

By the time the "one in three..." graffito appears, five of the eight are dead or long gone, leaving three. I've always been under the impression that the original "one in eight..." was a sly clue as to who was responsible for the death of Blake, with the later spraypainted edit a neat little wave hello to everyone who noticed it in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:30 pm 
Crimebuster

There might be something to it. The author seems like he wants to be a modern day lewis caroll, might be on his way to getting there.