WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:26 pm 
Offline
Vigilante

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:44 am
Posts: 64
I've been thinking, what would the Watchmen characters listen to?
Or would they listen to anything at all?


I imagine Rorschach listening to stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-KJNzMoec


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:42 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Tampa, FL
Rorschach listens to the "bubbling notes" of the "Night's chorus".

_________________
Can't a guy talk to, y'know, his.... daughter?
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:43 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
There is already a pretty similar topic here

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:59 pm 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Ohio
I'd argue that this is a substantially different topic than the other one, since we're talking specifically about the characters' actual likes and dislikes rather than songs that merely symbolize them. Your ruling, mods?

So then, we already know that Dan mostly listens to vintage jazz (he says so), Laurie seems to like new wave and punk rock (she's planning to go to the Pale Horse show wearing DEVO goggles), and Adrian talks up avant-garde electronic music and dub reggae in the Doug Roth interview. The other characters' musical preferences aren't really discussed, but I imagine that they might go something like this:

The Comedian: He's a swing-era guy, so a lot of big-band stuff like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. I don't see him really getting into rock in a big way, but I imagine he might have a tolerance for some of the grimier-sounding rockabilly and psychedelic rock from the '50s and '60s. He probably picked up a taste for those while fighting overseas and hanging out in a string of dingy dives and whorehouses.

Rorschach: I honestly don't think he has time for music. Like a lot of people with extreme politics, I find it likely that he's opted out of normal culture altogether. If he owns a radio, it's probably tuned to a right-wing wackjob talk show that only airs on a public-access station between 3-5 AM on Sundays.

Dr. Manhattan: Kraftwerk. This is a fact, and should not be questioned.

_________________
"The light is taking me to pieces, and I'm afraid I just blue myself."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
DrFünkehattan wrote:
I'd argue that this is a substantially different topic than the other one, since we're talking specifically about the characters' actual likes and dislikes rather than songs that merely symbolize them. Your ruling, mods?


I see your point

I doubt Rorschach listens to music and I doubt that Dr. Manhattan would "waste" time with music

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm 
Offline
...I am Pagliacci.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 am
Posts: 476
Ozymandias, Silk Spectre II, and Nite Owl II specifically stated what type of music they listen to in the comic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:14 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Rorschach probably likes Classical music like Alex from A Clockwork Orange.
I feel he definitely wouldn't listen to that trendcore rubbish in the OP's video.

Quote:
The Comedian: He's a swing-era guy, so a lot of big-band stuff like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. I don't see him really getting into rock in a big way, but I imagine he might have a tolerance for some of the grimier-sounding rockabilly and psychedelic rock from the '50s and '60s. He probably picked up a taste for those while fighting overseas and hanging out in a string of dingy dives and whorehouses.

Completely agree with this.

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
I can picture Rorschach whistling tunes like In the Hall of the Mountian King or Night on Blad Mountain.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:40 pm 
Offline
Existence is random.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 1153
This may sound weird, but I think that Ozymandias would listen to Crystal Castles and other electronic bands.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:51 am 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Ohio
Ninjet wrote:
This may sound weird, but I think that Ozymandias would listen to Crystal Castles and other electronic bands.


That doesn't sound too weird, Ninjet. Although Crystal Castles (cool band!) are twenty years too new for Ozy to have grooved to them in 1985, their basic sound reminds me a lot of the classic '70s/'80s synthpop that would be era-appropriate to the Watchmen world. I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

_________________
"The light is taking me to pieces, and I'm afraid I just blue myself."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:57 am 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 am
Posts: 2512
Location: San Fran
If Rorschach ever allowed himself a moment to kick up his dogs and relax for an hour, whatever he listened to would no doubt be rife with nostalgia and allusions to a "simpler time." A time when men believed in a day's pay for a day's work . . .

Maybe a lot of Aaron Copland music, too.

_________________
He did it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 am 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
EmPiiRe x wrote:
If Rorschach ever allowed himself a moment to kick up his dogs and relax for an hour, whatever he listened to would no doubt be rife with nostalgia and allusions to a "simpler time." A time when men believed in a day's pay for a day's work . . .

Maybe a lot of Aaron Copland music, too.


Agree with Aaron Copland. Maybe Buddy Holly. Ray Charles?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:30 am 
Offline
Existence is random.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 1153
DrFünkehattan wrote:
Ninjet wrote:
This may sound weird, but I think that Ozymandias would listen to Crystal Castles and other electronic bands.


That doesn't sound too weird, Ninjet. Although Crystal Castles (cool band!) are twenty years too new for Ozy to have grooved to them in 1985, their basic sound reminds me a lot of the classic '70s/'80s synthpop that would be era-appropriate to the Watchmen world. I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

Oh stupid me, I forgot that the band didn't exist in the 80s. :roll:
But I can picture Veidt listening to those bands even though I haven't heard about NEU! and Art of Noise before.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:01 am 
Offline
Vigilante

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:30 am
Posts: 91
I agreewith most people but with Rorschach, I image if he had a radio in his apartment, it would either be turn to a evangelical radio show with gloomy classical music based on his "day-job" as a vagrant doomsday prophet or some extreme right wing radio show hosted by some nut-job that makes Bill O'Riley sound weak and soft.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:02 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 195
Adrian Veidt would totally listen to Augustus Pablo.

FACT.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c7-VzJGSmpU&feature=related


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:36 am 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:46 pm
Posts: 269
DrFünkehattan wrote:
I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

Even if Art of Noise hired Moloch for some guest vocals? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:33 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
Ronch Ronch Ronch wrote:
DrFünkehattan wrote:
I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

Even if Art of Noise hired Moloch for some guest vocals? ;)


HOT DAMN! I remember seeing that music video as a kid and getting freaked out. Wow...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 am 
Offline
Thermodynamic Miracle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm
Posts: 285
Location: Ohio
Ronch Ronch Ronch wrote:
DrFünkehattan wrote:
I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

Even if Art of Noise hired Moloch for some guest vocals? ;)

I remember quite vividly a several-month-long period in my childhood where I was wholly convinced that Max Headroom was an actual graphical AI construct who had broken into show business, not just Matt Frewer in makeup and a fiberglass suit. The baby boomers can keep their stupid 1960s Jetsons future, I wanna know where my 1980s Max Headroom/hoverboard/holodeck/transforming robots future is, dagnabbit. :x

PS: Great call on the Augustus Pablo/King Tubby track, Valis! Those of you out there who have yet to discover Jamaican dub could certainly do worse than to follow the related Youtube vids coming off of Valis' link.

_________________
"The light is taking me to pieces, and I'm afraid I just blue myself."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Berkeley, CA
*puts on nerd hat*
I think that back when Rorschach was Kovacs, he'd have a little time for music . . . but I'd imagine he'd strictly stick to Classical, not really enjoying the newer developments in music. I'd imagine Kovacs being a Bach, Mahler, Brahms, and Beethoven fan... music that is extremely forceful.

But Rorschach wouldn't have time for music. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
Hourglass wrote:
*puts on nerd hat*
I think that back when Rorschach was Kovacs, he'd have a little time for music . . . but I'd imagine he'd strictly stick to Classical, not really enjoying the newer developments in music. I'd imagine Kovacs being a Bach, Mahler, Brahms, and Beethoven fan... music that is extremely forceful.

But Rorschach wouldn't have time for music. :(


Classical? Nah. That makes ol' Walter "Doomsday" Kovacs sound like Hannibal Lecter. Seems to me (this is before the Roche case, mind you) he might have gone for Sinatra. Maybe even Bing Crosby. I'd go out on a limb and say maybe he even liked a little opera now and then. He'd have to sneak into the theater mind you. Maybe bum a suit off Dan.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.099s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]