WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:26 pm 
Vigilante

I've been thinking, what would the Watchmen characters listen to?
Or would they listen to anything at all?

I imagine Rorschach listening to stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-KJNzMoec

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:42 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Rorschach listens to the "bubbling notes" of the "Night's chorus".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:43 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

There is already a pretty similar topic here

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:59 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I'd argue that this is a substantially different topic than the other one, since we're talking specifically about the characters' actual likes and dislikes rather than songs that merely symbolize them. Your ruling, mods?

So then, we already know that Dan mostly listens to vintage jazz (he says so), Laurie seems to like new wave and punk rock (she's planning to go to the Pale Horse show wearing DEVO goggles), and Adrian talks up avant-garde electronic music and dub reggae in the Doug Roth interview. The other characters' musical preferences aren't really discussed, but I imagine that they might go something like this:

The Comedian: He's a swing-era guy, so a lot of big-band stuff like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. I don't see him really getting into rock in a big way, but I imagine he might have a tolerance for some of the grimier-sounding rockabilly and psychedelic rock from the '50s and '60s. He probably picked up a taste for those while fighting overseas and hanging out in a string of dingy dives and whorehouses.

Rorschach: I honestly don't think he has time for music. Like a lot of people with extreme politics, I find it likely that he's opted out of normal culture altogether. If he owns a radio, it's probably tuned to a right-wing wackjob talk show that only airs on a public-access station between 3-5 AM on Sundays.

Dr. Manhattan: Kraftwerk. This is a fact, and should not be questioned.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

DrFünkehattan wrote:
I'd argue that this is a substantially different topic than the other one, since we're talking specifically about the characters' actual likes and dislikes rather than songs that merely symbolize them. Your ruling, mods?

I see your point

I doubt Rorschach listens to music and I doubt that Dr. Manhattan would "waste" time with music

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Ozymandias, Silk Spectre II, and Nite Owl II specifically stated what type of music they listen to in the comic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:14 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Rorschach probably likes Classical music like Alex from A Clockwork Orange.
I feel he definitely wouldn't listen to that trendcore rubbish in the OP's video.

Quote:
The Comedian: He's a swing-era guy, so a lot of big-band stuff like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. I don't see him really getting into rock in a big way, but I imagine he might have a tolerance for some of the grimier-sounding rockabilly and psychedelic rock from the '50s and '60s. He probably picked up a taste for those while fighting overseas and hanging out in a string of dingy dives and whorehouses.

Completely agree with this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm 
Human Bean Juice

I can picture Rorschach whistling tunes like In the Hall of the Mountian King or Night on Blad Mountain.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:40 pm 
Existence is random.

This may sound weird, but I think that Ozymandias would listen to Crystal Castles and other electronic bands.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:51 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Ninjet wrote:
This may sound weird, but I think that Ozymandias would listen to Crystal Castles and other electronic bands.

That doesn't sound too weird, Ninjet. Although Crystal Castles (cool band!) are twenty years too new for Ozy to have grooved to them in 1985, their basic sound reminds me a lot of the classic '70s/'80s synthpop that would be era-appropriate to the Watchmen world. I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:57 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

If Rorschach ever allowed himself a moment to kick up his dogs and relax for an hour, whatever he listened to would no doubt be rife with nostalgia and allusions to a "simpler time." A time when men believed in a day's pay for a day's work . . .

Maybe a lot of Aaron Copland music, too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 am 
Human Bean Juice

EmPiiRe x wrote:
If Rorschach ever allowed himself a moment to kick up his dogs and relax for an hour, whatever he listened to would no doubt be rife with nostalgia and allusions to a "simpler time." A time when men believed in a day's pay for a day's work . . .

Maybe a lot of Aaron Copland music, too.

Agree with Aaron Copland. Maybe Buddy Holly. Ray Charles?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:30 am 
Existence is random.

DrFünkehattan wrote:
Ninjet wrote:

That doesn't sound too weird, Ninjet. Although Crystal Castles (cool band!) are twenty years too new for Ozy to have grooved to them in 1985, their basic sound reminds me a lot of the classic '70s/'80s synthpop that would be era-appropriate to the Watchmen world. I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

Oh stupid me, I forgot that the band didn't exist in the 80s. :roll:
But I can picture Veidt listening to those bands even though I haven't heard about NEU! and Art of Noise before.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:01 am 
Vigilante

I agreewith most people but with Rorschach, I image if he had a radio in his apartment, it would either be turn to a evangelical radio show with gloomy classical music based on his "day-job" as a vagrant doomsday prophet or some extreme right wing radio show hosted by some nut-job that makes Bill O'Riley sound weak and soft.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:02 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Adrian Veidt would totally listen to Augustus Pablo.

FACT.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c7-VzJGSmpU&feature=related

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:36 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DrFünkehattan wrote:
I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

Even if Art of Noise hired Moloch for some guest vocals? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:33 pm 
Human Bean Juice

Ronch Ronch Ronch wrote:
DrFünkehattan wrote:
I've often thought that Yellow Magic Orchestra, NEU!, and Art of Noise would sound right at home being piped through Karnak's no doubt impressive sound system.

HOT DAMN! I remember seeing that music video as a kid and getting freaked out. Wow...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Ronch Ronch Ronch wrote:
DrFünkehattan wrote:

I remember quite vividly a several-month-long period in my childhood where I was wholly convinced that Max Headroom was an actual graphical AI construct who had broken into show business, not just Matt Frewer in makeup and a fiberglass suit. The baby boomers can keep their stupid 1960s Jetsons future, I wanna know where my 1980s Max Headroom/hoverboard/holodeck/transforming robots future is, dagnabbit. :x

PS: Great call on the Augustus Pablo/King Tubby track, Valis! Those of you out there who have yet to discover Jamaican dub could certainly do worse than to follow the related Youtube vids coming off of Valis' link.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 pm 
Crimebuster

*puts on nerd hat*
I think that back when Rorschach was Kovacs, he'd have a little time for music . . . but I'd imagine he'd strictly stick to Classical, not really enjoying the newer developments in music. I'd imagine Kovacs being a Bach, Mahler, Brahms, and Beethoven fan... music that is extremely forceful.

But Rorschach wouldn't have time for music. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
Human Bean Juice

Hourglass wrote:
*puts on nerd hat*
I think that back when Rorschach was Kovacs, he'd have a little time for music . . . but I'd imagine he'd strictly stick to Classical, not really enjoying the newer developments in music. I'd imagine Kovacs being a Bach, Mahler, Brahms, and Beethoven fan... music that is extremely forceful.

But Rorschach wouldn't have time for music. :(

Classical? Nah. That makes ol' Walter "Doomsday" Kovacs sound like Hannibal Lecter. Seems to me (this is before the Roche case, mind you) he might have gone for Sinatra. Maybe even Bing Crosby. I'd go out on a limb and say maybe he even liked a little opera now and then. He'd have to sneak into the theater mind you. Maybe bum a suit off Dan.