WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:30 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

EmPiiRe x wrote:
Yeah, as crappy as his apartment was, he still needed rent money.

My guess is that he scrounged around, grabbing loose cash or stuff he could pawn during the day, and probably during the night as Rorschach. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Rorschach taking cash off of a drug dealer he'd just beaten to a pulp. Stuff like that.

Yeah, maybe....I don't know. He might also pick cans and bottles off the street and turn them in to be recycled. You do get some money from doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:59 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

*bumping topic to add more*

I just thought of something.

Honestly, he probably does take money from criminals. I just feel that he would because I mean, he already steals food from them doesn't he? He takes some of Moloch's food while in his house and eats it. Those eggs remember?

So I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't mind taking money off some guys like that too. A lot of money on bad guys was probably stolen anyway....drug money, etc. I'm sure Rorschach wouldn't leave it on them so that they can just buy more drugs with it. It's better that Rorschach take it to buy something better, like food.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 am 
Human Bean Juice

Raine Summerfly wrote:

Honestly, he probably does take money from criminals. I just feel that he would because I mean, he already steals food from them doesn't he? He takes some of Moloch's food while in his house and eats it. Those eggs remember?

So I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't mind taking money off some guys like that too. A lot of money on bad guys was probably stolen anyway....drug money, etc. I'm sure Rorschach wouldn't leave it on them so that they can just buy more drugs with it. It's better that Rorschach take it to buy something better, like food.

He takes food and colonge from an old friend, but also takes food from an old enemy. Money doesn't seem to be that big of an importance to it, despite the fact that the world around him seems to revolve around it. If he does take it, we never know, as he continues to live his lower than modest lifestyle. I wonder if he donates it anonymously to Charlton home...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:04 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Raine Summerfly wrote:

He takes food and colonge from an old friend, but also takes food from an old enemy. Money doesn't seem to be that big of an importance to it, despite the fact that the world around him seems to revolve around it. If he does take it, we never know, as he continues to live his lower than modest lifestyle. I wonder if he donates it anonymously to Charlton home...

Oh I don't think he cares much about money or anything....but everyone needs at least a bit of money to survive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:59 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I'm usually of the thought he has stolen cash from the criminals he's beaten in the past. I always figured he felt that the "scum' he would beat up shouldn't be worthy of holding onto money for the crimes they've committed. They seemingly "lost" their privilege to use quality american money. I mean, I've heard some people say in reality that being able to spend american money is in fact a privilege. It's conceivable that he will spend some for himself in that since he views himself as a protector and justice for the city, and that it will go to better use for him. I don't think it's all that inconceivable either that he donates part of it to a local charity of some sort.

It's weird. I feel like it's crazy to type this out and think someone does think like this...but this is Rorschach we are talking about...so, I think it makes some sense (or at least I hope)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:16 am 
Human Bean Juice

vdtdcutd5145 wrote:
I'm usually of the thought he has stolen cash from the criminals he's beaten in the past. I always figured he felt that the "scum' he would beat up shouldn't be worthy of holding onto money for the crimes they've committed. They seemingly "lost" their privilege to use quality american money. I mean, I've heard some people say in reality that being able to spend american money is in fact a privilege. It's conceivable that he will spend some for himself in that since he views himself as a protector and justice for the city, and that it will go to better use for him. I don't think it's all that inconceivable either that he donates part of it to a local charity of some sort.

It's weird. I feel like it's crazy to type this out and think someone does think like this...but this is Rorschach we are talking about...so, I think it makes some sense (or at least I hope)

Like I said before, if he does donate (I assume it would be Charlton Home, though I don't recall any mention in the GN if it was still around by the time he'd grown up). he'd donate it anonymously. not that it matters. And it DOES seem like Rorschach in a bizarre, almost endearing kind of way. Warm-fuzzies kinda thing. Also, I assume Charlton Home, not just because it was where he spent the 'better' part of his childhood, but also because it doesn't seem like the kinda thing Viedt would touch. Viedt seems more "concerned" with the problems of the world, minus the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:15 pm 
Human Bean Juice

behemoth wrote:
Mothman always seemed to me to be a Golden Age counterpart of Rorschach or Veidt. There are some costume similarities in the zigzagging, and the moth is a creature that flies into light, which puts me in mind of Veidt's role as a "modern prometheus". Rorschach also gets shown the light by Dr Manhattan, and he definitely would have had some kind of crack-up after the squid. Hooded Justice also seems to be the counterpart of one of those two characters, but I'm not sure which. He and Mothman could each be a blend of the two, for whatever reason.

I know I am resurrecting a dead thread of my own creation "IT'S ALIVE", but I had to comment on this.

In my opinion, having read Watchmen and Philosophy, that the combination of Hooded Justice and Mothman seems to equal Rorschach. Rorschach exhibits HJ's appetite for violence while at the same time have the same weakened sanity of Byron Lewis.

Makes me wonder if there are another other parallels between the heroes of the Minutemen and the Crimebusters (Watchmen)...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Raine Summerfly wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Raine Summerfly wrote:

Oh I don't think he cares much about money or anything....but everyone needs at least a bit of money to survive.

...and purchase the news.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
So, I was thinking about this earlier today when I remembered the prostitute's line in the movie: "I make more in a week than you do in a month." What is Rorschach's main source of income? We know The Comedian worked for the government, Dan is independently wealthy due to an inheritance from his father, Adrian is mega wealthy due to his own entrepreneurial efforts, Laurie gets everything taken care of by the government because she is with Jon, and Jon is ... well, Jon. Being that Captain Metropolis is dead, that's all the people who were at the Crimebusters meeting except Rorschach, and in his journal, he comments that his landlady is making "usual" complaints Re: rent.

Of course, we don't know what his income is, but is there any speculation here? Also, his arrest report lists him as "transient," but if he lives at Ms. Shairp's tenement, then he isn't transient. Maybe he gets a SSI check, or what we used to call a "nut check" back in the day. Just a random question that's been going through my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:25 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

There's a thread about that :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: The Gemini sector, tooling around the space lanes of the frontier.
Oops! :oops: I'll look harder. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:30 pm 
Tired of Earth.

^ Merged.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 pm 
So impotent.

Rorschach does not work a day job becuase the only use he has for Kovaks is as a disguise when he cant show his true face

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10