WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:19 am 
Crimebuster

I don't think this book needs a sequel but it's interesting to think what would happen next. I might draw this up, if you all want it. I am not a fan of comics in general, but I do draw my class notes as them sometimes. Calvin and Hobbes are a favorite. I thought some of you might like to hear how I thought it might end. I want to hear your guesses, and preferred endings.

Okay, here it goes....

There is a man named Jack White that had Nixon by the balls on tax evasion, so he was going down anyway, even without Woodward and Bernstein. Nixon is an impeached dead man, four more years my ass. He only gets two.

The way I imagine it, we are five years on in the world. We are approaching the nineties, the end of the millennium. The alien has moved beyond conspiracy theory by this time. We have people with journalistic, scientific, and government backgrounds looking into this. By the second year, it would become apparent that there was no. The deaths and mind-fucks are blamed on the Russians in due fashion. There's a lot of flag waving, nuclear forecasting, all full of sound and fury...But guess what happens. Nothing happens. Communism collapses like it was going to. All the love thy soviet neighbor is gone. The rooskies are back.

In these years we have a lot of turbulent times and changes, like a repeat of the year 1919 or 1968. Choose whatever year you like. I don't much care for dates.

I see Rorschach's Journal getting out in the public. It's quickly gone out of Seymour's hands. Probably into the hands of a larger publishing company, perhaps the owner of the New Frontiersman. C'mon, there is money to be made off this. Anything that will make money gets out.

It's a best selling non-fiction book, a nice easy read. It's seen as real life detective novel written by a madman or text book to those taking history with a minor in superhuman studies. It's an essential guide for criminal profilers and psychologists to analyze.

Since there is not much information of Veidt in the book, just wild prejudiced speculations, most wouldn't take the last entry seriously. But he doesn't get off the hook that easily. I see Adrian dying, not because revenge on the character is the "proper" thing to do, but because it's worth doing it as an irony. No one in the previous book kills Veidt. I would make up a character, probably a victim from the tragedy, lost some family. I imagine a woman, an older woman, in her late thirties, not one of the kick ass heroines most of us are used to. In this we see a new breed of vigilantism. The kind that exists in our world, when people take the law into their own hands, and commits gruesome acts.

I am guessing a deep throat informant or maybe a survivor from the boat party explosion. All it takes is for one of these people to connect with the woman, Liz Parnassus (just to give her a name). Then we have a source to channel anger. We also see the cycle that Ozzy has created, I see a death scene in decadence. In the office suite overlooking New York. What follows is a beating, a torturing and a beheading. Drawing some eerie parallels to terrorists and old guillotining of deposed monarchy. I don't see the character sexually violating him, that would probably be Moore or Millers thing.

I would keep up the dead dog motif. Picture three people, a security guard, an informant and an accomplice all with their hands behind their heads like the police always ask. Behind them is what's left of Adrian. A tortured body duct taped to the wall, with a German Shepard's head where his head should be. Crucified, but without the dignity.

Naturally all three are locked up and the press goes nuts. This event will be deemed the end of heroes. The reason I would kill him like this is because it's Karma. What goes around, comes around, and you cant escape your fate forever. Remember "It never ends."

A postmortem investigation is done and we get to see all the things Veidt has done come to light. Look upon ye works and see a legacy of despair. The commercial empire quickly crumbles. There is also an added bonus of eyewitness testimony. No, the Hollis couple is still on the lam. At about the time of the murder/trial. A walking circulatory system is seen at the former vivarium, which was donated and converted into a research station. Why yes...I am going there. I would bring back bubastis as a fully function and introspective character. This is a comic after all, anything is possible. If a blue man can win Vietnam, we can have a talking cat. Picture it as a blue tiger if you wish, I see something more like a desert lynx, the traditional animal people in that region hunted with. (keeping the whole orientalist theme)

I would focus two chapters of Bubastis's perception of events. About being made with a purpose, and what drove Veidt to become the man he was because I think he was stable in the beginning of his career like.

Investing in minor characters, I would tell the story of an American Indian writer, a more political
Salman Rushdie. A "Freedom Writer", author of two books, Calling Out the Dogs: An American History of Vietnam, and Custodies. I would have him be a dissenting voice against heroes, American imperialism and vigilante justice. I would have him look at his writings in the late 1990s with a mix of pride and regret.

I would also do a Vietnamese artist that goes in depth about losing her sense of nationalism, and the transformation into an American. something that causes a "lost generation" with no memory of the deep aspects of their culture. I would also include more content on Ed and Jon and how the East was won.

In about twenty years, an interesting flash of light is seen in a distant galaxy. It's an explosion of light. It's studied intensely, with scientists coming to the eventual conclusion that based on the last known data of the man's whereabouts, Jon is dead. Transporting oneself to another galaxy is not as easy as it seems. In fact, it often causes one to implode. That's right. I did that. It's just my idea. Don't like it fine.

In the final act we get to hear from the single central character of this plot that until now has not had a voice. We hear the first and last moments of Robert. Imagine being a guy that's had psychic abilities. That's done so much good for people. Then suddenly, dying in a hospital from an aneurysm. Then the next thing he knows, he's a lot bigger. Robert is reanimated as a mass of squid like tentacles. That in itself would be shock, a bigger shocker would be being teleported to New York city.

I see his final thoughts as being panicked and desperate. Then a sudden clarity of what is happening and what role he will play. I might include a hallucination where he is in a stadium like Madison Square garden, when he realizes that in this arena, he is death, and he will choose who lives and dies. I would ditch the blind watchmaker idea for a god represented in the form of a clock or a mouth cracked out of the sky. Whether God is Robert's dream or not, I will leave up to you.

I would end with a conversation between a journalist and Bubastis asking her thoughts on the reason Rorschach refused to go along with the agenda when everyone else would. I would bring out this Jack London quote.

“I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time...

I would rather be ashes than dust!"

Oh, and maybe something on the Hollis couple. Perhaps a quick look into a relationship built on mutual experience. A meditation on the shallow conversations and emotions that they might take up to fill the void of silence.

This is just a rough outline. I am a writer, so I do this with all the books I read. It's nothing special really, just my own thoughts, from a writers standpoint. If you want to share what you think would happen I would love to hear it! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:03 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Change your meds. Seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:26 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

That is quite detailed. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:03 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

No offense meant, but I didn't read your post.

Watchmen, while it doesn't provide a definite and closed end to the plot does provide a satisfying closure to the emotional and intellectual thematics. I am completely and utterly sated by the final frame... "I leave it entirely in your hands."

I do not really want to know if Jon goes out and creates new life forms or if he ever returns to Earth. I do not want to know if Dan and Laurie are able to make their relationship work or if they have kids or even if they continue their crimefighting careers. I do not want to know if Seymour runs Rorschach's journal or if anyone believes the ramblings in it. I do not want to know if Veidt's utopia lasts or if it crumbles in a week. I do not want to know if the Furnesse family dog ever found his way home.

I'm quite satisfied with the open ending. I think it's perfect.

I admire your industriousness, but I have to pass. Thank you just the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:54 pm 
Tired of Earth.

It's not that Watchmen doesn't need a sequel, it's that Watchmen can't have a sequel.

A continuation of the Watchmen story, regardless of execution, would have to answer the question of what Seymour does with the journal. As soon as you answer that question, you ruin the ambiguity of the graphic novel's morality and thus ruin the original story.

I absolutely support fanfic sequels, because they are statements of how Watchmen fans interpret the story. It's basically saying "Here's what I think Seymour should've done and here's what I think should've happened because of that."

But when such a statement is made canon -- and I hope it never is -- the heart and soul of Watchmen will be destroyed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:30 pm 
The Watcher

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
A continuation of the Watchmen story, regardless of execution, would have to answer the question of what Seymour does with the journal. As soon as you answer that question, you ruin the ambiguity of the graphic novel's morality and thus ruin the original story.

Yes. The beauty of Alan Moore's universe are all of the untidy bits and loose ends. The world of Watchmen is a dirty, morally ambiguous, confusing place - just like the real world. And seldom in the real world is there ever a definitive and clean ending.

"Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

Prequels? That's a whole other story. I think there is room for those stories.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:23 pm 
Crimebuster

um....Dont really pay attention to that. I kinda was drunk when I did this. I am actually surprised I spelled so many words right. Really think that it doesn't need a squeal that what I thought might happen next because we were smashed and I was talking with a friend and I was like this book that i had is fucking insane, it was so crazy, what would happen next. so i was thinking, it would have to be something equally insane.

:?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:29 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Meds. Now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:06 pm 
The Watcher

Don't back down U-CONN, Hemingway was drunk all the time when he wrote and Kerouac, well, who the fuck knows what he was on. Some of the stuff you wrote was way out there, but its obvious you really put some effort into deconstructing the story to come up with what you did. I'd rather read what you wrote here then read some other fan's rant on how Rorschach's mask is "like the fuckin coolest thing ever" and how Dr. Manhattan is the "off da hook, g."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:59 pm 
Tired of Earth.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Don't back down U-CONN, Hemingway was drunk all the time when he wrote and Kerouac, well, who the fuck knows what he was on. Some of the stuff you wrote was way out there, but its obvious you really put some effort into deconstructing the story to come up with what you did. I'd rather read what you wrote here then read some other fan's rant on how Rorschach's mask is "like the fuckin coolest thing ever" and how Dr. Manhattan is the "off da hook, g."

And the less said about what Lewis Carroll was on, the better.

Seriously, even if the idea is implausible, it deserved mention and debate here. No harm done.

Post subject: Just my $.02
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:34 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I would have never imagined a talking cat, but hey, it worked in the "Rabbi" books!
UCONNgirl wrote:
um....Dont really pay attention to that.
No need to apologize for your creativity. I agree with CurI:

CurI wrote:
I absolutely support fanfic sequels, because they are statements of how Watchmen fans interpret the story. It's basically saying "Here's what I think Seymour should've done and here's what I think should've happened because of that." But when such a statement is made canon -- and I hope it never is -- the heart and soul of Watchmen will be destroyed.
I don't know if a piece of crap by DC or Snyder could dewstroy the "heart and soul" of the graphic novel unless the confiscated every existing copy of the current editions, burned them, and then replaced them with a re-written replacement that included a sequel-- but as far as fanfic goes... I think it is awesome that people are so involved in a piece of art, so involved in the world that has been created, that they actually enter into that world in a creative way.

I applaud your imagination.

Don't be afraid to share your creative ideas. For every one who discounts your creativity, there are probably several lurkers who truly enjoy seeing what others think (but will never post to say "good job.")

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:55 pm 
Crimebuster

Thank you. I was umm...drunk....lets go with drunk with my friend bora....so alot of that is not what I think should be the end. I stay behind my talking cat and drunk work though.

For how I think the end should have gone soberly.

I would end with a single serving comic about Seymour debating publishing it. Because that would be a good analog of the nuclear age. I would have him publish the file in the end. Not because it was the right thing to do but because it was the entertaining thing to do.

Fanfic??? What's that???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:47 am 
Tired of Earth.

UCONNgirl wrote:
Fanfic??? What's that???

Fanfic: Short for "fan fiction."

A story or series of stories written in imitation of an established property by one or more fans of said property.

Fanfics are unofficial, which means that as long as no money is made and no claim to canon is made, there are no rules. In fanfics, the characters you love are yours to command. Imagine, be creative, go nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:25 am 
New Frontiersman

Fanfic.

At least a watchmen fanfic would be ok. I knew someone who was into Harry Potter fanfics; like depicting Malfroy and Hermione getting it on! You can imagine the raging hormones of these adolesence. ;)

Interpertations of the endings would be fine, but derailing the whole story would be non-sense. classic case: Adrian Veidt dies!

Off note, i can't understand the hysteria surrounding Harry Potter. If i wrote a fanfic for Harry Potter, it'll be a grapihc novel, i'll have him thrown down 88 floors up (higher than Eddie Blake's apartment, just about the height of the Petronas Twin Towers), nuke Hogswart and let Gandalf sort it out!

(oops, Gandalf in in LOTR, but it sounds cooler than Dumbledork, i mean, Dumbledore)