WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:25 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

There are a few scenes in the book where Rorschach walks around in public wearing his costume, like the scene where he talks about "American love." How is he able to get away with this? You'd think people would recognize that he was a costumed vigilante wanted by the police. And why would Rorschach take the chance of being seen by a police officer?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

That's a good point. I think Rorschach is careful to remain in the seedier sections of the city where the cops aren't around as much. Plus, it could be hard to see the face of a guy wearing a hat keeping his head down in the middle of the night. I really just don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 am 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 pm 
I DID IT!

He's got the subway tunnels for when he needs complete invisibility. There were probably a lot of costumed, non-superhero freaks running around Manhattan at that time, so he wouldn't stand out all that much. It reminds me of the third shot of TDK. People were like, "How could Joker just stand there without his mask on, but in full make-up?" Because if someone knew him, they'd avoid him, and if they didn't, they'd say, "Hey, a clown."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:19 pm 
I DID IT!

People Must Be Told. wrote:
behemoth wrote:
He's got the subway tunnels for when he needs complete invisibility.

Rorschach in fact tends to do the exact opposite and instead favours the rooftops; he certainly has a good head for heights.
After all, he prefers to look down upon the vermin to whisper "no".

He may, but I was thinking of the map they find on him when they arrest him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:44 pm 
New Frontiersman

Of course! Excellent spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I think Rorschach might know all of the ins and outs of the city, above and below. I mean, we're talking about a guy who has been walking the streets and back-alleys and subway tunnels and rooftops for years. I bet the map in his mind is ten times as expansive as the map they found on him at his arrest.

And as for being recognized...I do think he keeps to the seedier sections of the city, and by the time the story takes place I bet the denizens of those sections see him as a cross between part of the local scenery and The Boogeyman.

It's also true about a guy in a hat and a trenchcoat keeping his head down, though - I'm wondering if those whores who were trying to solicit his business in chapter II recognized him before he was already walking by.

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i doubt prostitutes even cared for him, after all, he was offered Swedish & French but not American love. and usually if he walks out in the open, nobody else is around. notice how his head is hung low too, even when walking around the prostitutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

My question is... WHY WOULD THE HOOKER PROPOSITION HIM?!?!?!?!

I mean seriously, the stuff he does to her kind and she offered him an illegal service?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 pm 
New Frontiersman

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
My question is... WHY WOULD THE HOOKER PROPOSITION HIM?!?!?!?!

Because that's what hookers do. And with his head down and lapels up, I doubt she knew who she was propositioning.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I mean seriously, the stuff he does to her kind and she offered him an illegal service?

We never see any evidence that Rorschach gets rough with women, even those breaking the law. For all his faults... that's just not his style. In fact, many working the streets would probably support him if the truth be known, seeing as he kills rapists and takes on the muggers who would otherwise prey on them.

With his sexual hang-ups, Rorschach is more likely to avoid any direct contact with prostitutes than anything else; I certainly can't imagine him bringing himself to physically have to handle a hooker in order to detain her. This is why he hurries past with his head hung low especially when walking around the prostitutes... they bother even him and ironically make him feel uneasy and he doesn't like it.

And had anyone else flipped him the finger as that hooker does, he'd have instinctively known and would've come back and snapped it for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:31 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

People Must Be Told. wrote:
We never see any evidence that Rorschach gets rough with women, even those breaking the law. For all his faults... that's just not his style. In fact, many working the streets would probably support him if the truth be known, seeing as he kills rapists and takes on the muggers who would otherwise prey on them.

With his sexual hang-ups, Rorschach is more likely to avoid any direct contact with prostitutes than anything else; I certainly can't imagine him bringing himself to physically have to handle a hooker in order to detain her. This is why he hurries past with his head hung low especially when walking around the prostitutes... they bother even him and ironically make him feel uneasy and he doesn't like it.

And had anyone else flipped him the finger as that hooker does, he'd have instinctively known and would've come back and snapped it for them.

Agreed. Further supporting this is the fact that he never goes after his landlady, even though she's a prostitute and cheating on welfare (or at least, so he thinks). It's only when she makes it "personal" by lying about him to the media that he confronts her directly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:50 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Wow.

So Rorschach is sexist.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:43 pm 
Crimebuster

SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Wow.

So Rorschach is sexist.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:47 pm 
Human Bean Juice

Hourglass wrote:
SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Wow.

So Rorschach is sexist.

Though is not authoritative, Rorschach has been called a sort of facist in the book Watchmen and Philosphy, in that he upholds the hypermasculine and is scared shitless by anything feminine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I don't think he'd ever beat on a hooker just for what she does. If she was stealing something off someone, sure. His twisted Truman-esque morals wouldn't let him beat up someone who was gainfully employed for just doing their job.
8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 pm 
Human Bean Juice

Mister Pain wrote:
I don't think he'd ever beat on a hooker just for what she does. If she was stealing something off someone, sure. His twisted Truman-esque morals wouldn't let him beat up someone who was gainfully employed for just doing their job.
8-)

But throughout the entire course of the GN, he never lifted a finger against a woman, right? I need a bourbon if I'm gonna try to wrap my head around Rorschach's thinking...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm 
Crimebuster

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Hourglass wrote:
SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Wow.

So Rorschach is sexist.

Though is not authoritative, Rorschach has been called a sort of facist in the book Watchmen and Philosphy, in that he upholds the hypermasculine and is scared shitless by anything feminine.

I can definitely see that.

Didn't Rorschach's Sing Sing file say that he was especially shy around girls while he was at Charlton?

I get the impression that Rorschach, being deeply disturbed by anything sexual (not just females) because of his catastrophic childhood, ends up losing all interest in sex even when he reached maturity (his wet dream at Charlton didn't help much either). His discomfort with women stems from his view of women as being merely degrading, sexual beings ("whores", etc... which is sexist itself), thus making women almost automatically "bad" from his viewpoint.

Yet he never even lifts a finger against a woman, and seems at least somewhat polite with Laurie (well, y'know, he never snaps her fingers for disagreeing with him).

Damn, he's screwed up. :D (BUT WHO CARES?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:33 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:
8-)

But throughout the entire course of the GN, he never lifted a finger against a woman, right? I need a bourbon if I'm gonna try to wrap my head around Rorschach's thinking...

True.

Oh, lol you have my quote as your sig.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 pm 
Human Bean Juice

SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:
8-)

True.

Oh, lol you have my quote as your sig.

Yep, I thought it too damn funny to pass up 8-)