WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:19 am 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:36 am
Posts: 783
Location: your refrigerator
Hourglass wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Hourglass wrote:
SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Wow.

So Rorschach is sexist.



Well, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. :D


Though is not authoritative, Rorschach has been called a sort of facist in the book Watchmen and Philosphy, in that he upholds the hypermasculine and is scared shitless by anything feminine.



I can definitely see that.

Didn't Rorschach's Sing Sing file say that he was especially shy around girls while he was at Charlton?

I get the impression that Rorschach, being deeply disturbed by anything sexual (not just females) because of his catastrophic childhood, ends up losing all interest in sex even when he reached maturity (his wet dream at Charlton didn't help much either). His discomfort with women stems from his view of women as being merely degrading, sexual beings ("whores", etc... which is sexist itself), thus making women almost automatically "bad" from his viewpoint.

Yet he never even lifts a finger against a woman, and seems at least somewhat polite with Laurie (well, y'know, he never snaps her fingers for disagreeing with him).

Damn, he's screwed up. :D (BUT WHO CARES?)


Heh, but he does hate her outfit.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:34 am 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Berkeley, CA
V.M.L. wrote:
Hourglass wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Hourglass wrote:
SmilingSymmetry wrote:
Wow.

So Rorschach is sexist.



Well, I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. :D


Though is not authoritative, Rorschach has been called a sort of facist in the book Watchmen and Philosphy, in that he upholds the hypermasculine and is scared shitless by anything feminine.



I can definitely see that.

Didn't Rorschach's Sing Sing file say that he was especially shy around girls while he was at Charlton?

I get the impression that Rorschach, being deeply disturbed by anything sexual (not just females) because of his catastrophic childhood, ends up losing all interest in sex even when he reached maturity (his wet dream at Charlton didn't help much either). His discomfort with women stems from his view of women as being merely degrading, sexual beings ("whores", etc... which is sexist itself), thus making women almost automatically "bad" from his viewpoint.

Yet he never even lifts a finger against a woman, and seems at least somewhat polite with Laurie (well, y'know, he never snaps her fingers for disagreeing with him).

Damn, he's screwed up. :D (BUT WHO CARES?)


Heh, but he does hate her outfit.



Oh, yeah...

Man, getting called out on your fashion by Rorschach of all people... I can see why Laurie was pissed. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm
Posts: 119
Hourglass wrote:

Oh, yeah...

Man, getting called out on your fashion by Rorschach of all people... I can see why Laurie was pissed. :D


Considering his old day job, I've always wondered why he didn't just make her something he felt was more appropriate. :roll:

RORSCHACH: "Uniform too revealing, not practical enough. If you'll excuse me, Miss Juspeczyk..." *steps into the next room*

*machine noise*

LAURIE: "Is that a sewing machine?"
Image

_________________
"It's a turning world."

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:27 am 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Berkeley, CA
numb3r5ev3n wrote:
Hourglass wrote:

Oh, yeah...

Man, getting called out on your fashion by Rorschach of all people... I can see why Laurie was pissed. :D


Considering his old day job, I've always wondered why he didn't just make her something he felt was more appropriate. :roll:

RORSCHACH: "Uniform too revealing, not practical enough. If you'll excuse me, Miss Juspeczyk..." *steps into the next room*

*machine noise*

LAURIE: "Is that a sewing machine?"
Image


YOU WIN A MILLION INTERNETS

MAKE IT WORK!

Rorschach is such a fashion Nazi. FABULOUS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:37 pm 
Offline
Nothing ever ends.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 657
Location: yer fridge
numb3r5ev3n wrote:
Hourglass wrote:

Oh, yeah...

Man, getting called out on your fashion by Rorschach of all people... I can see why Laurie was pissed. :D


Considering his old day job, I've always wondered why he didn't just make her something he felt was more appropriate. :roll:

RORSCHACH: "Uniform too revealing, not practical enough. If you'll excuse me, Miss Juspeczyk..." *steps into the next room*

*machine noise*

LAURIE: "Is that a sewing machine?"
Image


LMFAO. :mrgreen:
"Those high heels worry me" *CHOP*
"But - those were Italian!"
"Now they're practical."

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:53 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
^ I am scared now... :shock: (curls up into a ball and starts crying helplessly)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:32 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 pm
Posts: 342
Image
THIS would never happen!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:34 pm 
Offline
I DID IT!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:37 pm
Posts: 587
Non sequitur:

TOUCHING ME WITH LOTUS FEET

Sorry, I had to do that. It's been bothering me for a while.

_________________
Gone fishin'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:35 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 am
Posts: 2512
Location: San Fran
People Must Be Told. wrote:
Image
THIS would never happen!

Just let those who would idolize, sexualize, and romanticize a man who would, in reality, smash their heads though a mirror do it in peace. It's all that keeps their minds off of things.

_________________
He did it.


Last edited by EmPiiRe x on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 pm 
Offline
...I am Pagliacci.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 473
Location: North Carolina
numb3r5ev3n wrote:
Image

This is one of the best things I've ever seen.

_________________
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:03 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 30
Hurm, Rorschach's fear of women and viewing of them as mostly whores due to his childhood and treatment from his mother reminds me of Ed Gein, minus the grave-robbing and mutilation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:16 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
drawingblanks wrote:
Hurm, Rorschach's fear of women and viewing of them as mostly whores due to his childhood and treatment from his mother reminds me of Ed Gein, minus the grave-robbing and mutilation.


Huh. As a massive true crime buff, I never would have thought to put Rorschach and ol' Eddie Gein in the same mental factor. But, I do think that Rorschach has a bit of a Norman Bates complex. Bates' character was based strongly off of Gein...Hurm...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:40 am 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 am
Posts: 30
I might be way off. I was just reading about Gein, and certain qualities such as shyness especially around girls as a young boy, being bullied, being ugly, etc reminded me of Ror.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:18 pm 
Offline
Oh how the ghost of you clings...
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:36 am
Posts: 783
Location: your refrigerator
People Must Be Told. wrote:
Image
THIS would never happen!


IT ALREADY HAPPENED! :mrgreen:

numb3r5ev3n wrote:
Hourglass wrote:

Oh, yeah...

Man, getting called out on your fashion by Rorschach of all people... I can see why Laurie was pissed. :D


Considering his old day job, I've always wondered why he didn't just make her something he felt was more appropriate. :roll:

RORSCHACH: "Uniform too revealing, not practical enough. If you'll excuse me, Miss Juspeczyk..." *steps into the next room*

*machine noise*

LAURIE: "Is that a sewing machine?"
Image


OMG, it would be an honor for Rorschach to make me clothes! :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm
Posts: 119
V.M.L. wrote:

OMG, it would be an honor for Rorschach to make me clothes! :lol:


I have a theory that in an even more alternate version of the Watchmen's alternate history, Walter Kovacs would have become his timeline's equivalent of Tim Gunn.

Oh crap, I've just gone off-topic again, haven't I? :?

_________________
"It's a turning world."

--- Moorcock's Multiverse.

ARCHIE. 99 Accessories, but a dash lighter ain't one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:37 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
numb3r5ev3n wrote:
V.M.L. wrote:

OMG, it would be an honor for Rorschach to make me clothes! :lol:


I have a theory that in an even more alternate version of the Watchmen's alternate history, Walter Kovacs would have become his timeline's equivalent of Tim Gunn.

Oh crap, I've just gone off-topic again, haven't I? :?


Holy...fuck... :shock:

*shoots self*

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 pm 
Offline
Gazing into the abyss.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: Rorschach's Sugar Cube Pocket
Rorschach, despite all his faults, I can't seem to see him really "beat" a woman in any way, not even a bitch-slap across the face or a broken finger.

Yes, he does refer to his landlady, Dolores, as a whore and suspects her for cheating on welfare, but he never pursued that inquiry. And yet he searched Moloch's house thoroughly for a gun permit? It's not like him to suspect someone of a crime and not pursue it to its finish, yet with women, he seems to turn a blind eye.

Other evidence is the prostitutes. Clearly, he sees them as repulsive and prostitution is a crime, but for some reason he turns a blind eye to them. He ignores them completely, even when they're right in front of him. When the prostitute gave him the finger, even if she didn't follow it up with a curse, I sense that he knew she did this anyway and yet did nothing about it.

Also, interestingly, there's a few panels where Rorschach watches a nude woman at a window and STARES at her until her lover enters and draws the curtains. We don't know his exact reaction to this because he doesn't say it or write about it in his journal. Panels where he rescues a woman from a mugging/murder/rape and the 6-year-old girl. So there's this factor of "pure women" and/or "victim woman" as an "innocent".

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:09 pm 
Offline
Gazing into the abyss.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: Rorschach's Sugar Cube Pocket
As for Rorschach walking down the streets, I tend to agree with what has been said. He travels at a horrible ghetto streets, where few police seem to patrol, and if they do patrol it always seems full of people...so he seems to "blend" into the crowd better than any of the other characters. Also, yes, he does walk with his head down and his shoulders raised, which hides his face, along with the help of walking in the shadows of the nightlife, so you couldn't make out his face. And if they did, they wouldn't want to get on Rorschach's BAD side.

As for rooftops or underground subway tunnels, actually, he seems a guy who would do both depending on the choices. He can't write his journals in a dark tunnel, so up in the rooftops is best, away from the crowds of the ground. Plus you have a better view of criminals up there. In the tunnels, I think he would use those for speed reasons when he needs to cut through the city fast to get to another location in an emergency.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 pm 
Offline
Genetically-Altered Lynx
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 am
Posts: 2512
Location: San Fran
But even Rorschach's occasional leniency towards women comes from a sort of underhanded sexism. He does not respect them as people able to make their own decisions and assert their own freewill. If you've ever seen The Searchers or Taxi Driver, you can get a sense of what I'm talking about. Both protagonists obsess themselves with saving women who may not need or want to be rescued. Both men think they know what is best for the women in their lives and work to free from the "evils" that are keeping them apart. They supplant people's judgments and decisions with their own, because they think they know better, which is a big part of what Watchmen is all about in the first place.

Rorschach never really gets bogged down in this sort of narrowly focused revenge, and frankly thinks that he has bigger fish to fry, but, as Rorschach is so heavily derivative of the Travis Bickle character, I thought I'd point it out.

_________________
He did it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 pm 
Offline
Human Bean Juice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 1970
Location: Stalking a Watchman...
DogWithHeadSplitOpen wrote:
...they wouldn't want to get on Rorschach's BAD side.


You mean he has a good side? Where the hell have I been?!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.106s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]