WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:41 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

EmPiiRe x wrote:
But even Rorschach's occasional leniency towards women comes from a sort of underhanded sexism. He does not respect them as people able to make their own decisions and assert their own freewill. If you've ever seen The Searchers or Taxi Driver, you can get a sense of what I'm talking about. Both protagonists obsess themselves with saving women who may not need or want to be rescued. Both men think they know what is best for the women in their lives and work to free from the "evils" that are keeping them apart. They supplant people's judgments and decisions with their own, because they think they know better, which is a big part of what Watchmen is all about in the first place.

Rorschach never really gets bogged down in this sort of narrowly focused revenge, and frankly thinks that he has bigger fish to fry, but, as Rorschach is so heavily derivative of the Travis Bickle character, I thought I'd point it out.
That's as a really great argument. I think you're absolutely right. He does seem a lot like the main characters of those films. He does seem to associate women as objects, not of objects of desire, but more like livestock to be fenced in and protected, as they can't seem to defend themselves. They don't know what to eat unless you stick it in front of their face, or what an enemy is until it are victimised.

Rorschach does come off as a control freak. Many of those whom are control freaks come from a background where they had no control, which is something Walter Kovacs didn't have through his life, particularly growing up. Factors decided it for him, thinking what's best for him (which, as a result, wasn't), and he was forced to go along for the ride. So it makes sense that he would do the same toward others, impending his own control towards others, thinking that it's what's best for them (unaware that it probably isn't). If you can't fight, how can you defend? If you don't know what you want, how can you earn it?

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
DogWithHeadSplitOpen wrote:
...they wouldn't want to get on Rorschach's BAD side.

You mean he has a good side? Where the hell have I been?!
Of course, he does, the little snuggle bunny! (pinch his little cheekies-weakies) :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:51 am 
Human Bean Juice

Lady_Rorschach wrote:

Of course, he does, the little snuggle bunny! (pinch his little cheekies-weakies) :P

Heh heh...and we know about his OTHER good side, too *hint hint, nudge nudge* ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:04 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Heh heh...and we know about his OTHER good side, too *hint hint, nudge nudge* ;)
(melts in her chair, daydreaming) M'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, goood....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:16 am 
I DID IT!

He does seem to associate women as objects, not of objects of desire, but more like livestock to be fenced in and protected, as they can't seem to defend themselves.

Whoreburgers? I agree that he represents that medieval mentality that women should be locked up in convents or towers. It's a part of living in a state of war.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am 
A pretty butterfly.

One thing that struck me was how sure he was of his place in the crime hierarchy. If someone is radiating that kind of confidence (I know I am safe here because I am on top of it all) and menace (and if you try to bring me down I will RUIN your day), you tend to leave them alone. You don't know why, you just do.

And maybe Walter attempts on some deep, twisted level to atone for being on the planet, since his mother reminds him (repeatedly, I would imagine) that she wouldn't have to do what she does if it wasn't for him. Granted she'd been at it since before he was born, but with his birth she now has somewhere to focus her rage, and it's easier to blame the kid than to ask herself how she let it get to that point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:00 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

behemoth wrote:
He does seem to associate women as objects, not of objects of desire, but more like livestock to be fenced in and protected, as they can't seem to defend themselves.
Whoreburgers? I agree that he represents that medieval mentality that women should be locked up in convents or towers. It's a part of living in a state of war.
Lock the women and children away as the men go and fight. Poor Rory isn't living completely in the '80s, is he? There needs to be more Ellen Ripley's in this world!

Fahnette wrote:
One thing that struck me was how sure he was of his place in the crime hierarchy. If someone is radiating that kind of confidence (I know I am safe here because I am on top of it all) and menace (and if you try to bring me down I will RUIN your day), you tend to leave them alone. You don't know why, you just do.
It is interesting how he considers himself on top of the "food chain" in the underworld, which is often represented in the fact he often used the rooftops.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:05 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Quote:
It is interesting how he considers himself on top of the "food chain" in the underworld, which is often represented in the fact he often used the rooftops.

This is because almost all of the main cast of characters in Watchmen consider themselves to be enlightened to a degree, and above society. They all think themselves to have a unique insight into humanity. They either think they know best as to how to fix society's ills (Veidt and Rorschach), or they couldn't care less (Blake and Manhattan). Not so much in the case of Dan and Laurie, which is why they could be considered the only "normal" ones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:31 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

EmPiiRe x wrote:
This is because almost all of the main cast of characters in Watchmen consider themselves to be enlightened to a degree, and above society. They all think themselves to have a unique insight into humanity. They either think they know best as to how to fix society's ills (Veidt and Rorschach), or they couldn't care less (Blake and Manhattan). Not so much in the case of Dan and Laurie, which is why they could be considered the only "normal" ones.
That's what makes the "masked vigilantes" so dangerous. Law enforcement officers have rules they have to follow, they have limitations, society dictates what they can do and cannot do. The "masks" don't. They don't have to inhere to social rules and laws, they believe they are ABOVE and BEYOND the law. So how do they know when they go "too far"? Where does the line stop and where does it blur? Society doesn't rule over them, they rule over society!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:20 pm 
New Frontiersman

Last edited by People Must Be Told. on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:16 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

It's probably the only thing he can count on. It's the way he makes himself feel valuable to the world. It's a dark, awful place and someone needs to set it right, and he feels he's uniquely qualified because he's been there.
Those moments with Dan when Dan acknowledges their friendship are moments he desperately needs because Dan is treating him like a person instead of a prison number or a vicious beast.
He's a hindrance to his mother, a plague on society, and an absolute dream of a character to analyze.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:50 am 
Human Bean Juice

Fahnette wrote:

It's probably the only thing he can count on. It's the way he makes himself feel valuable to the world. It's a dark, awful place and someone needs to set it right, and he feels he's uniquely qualified because he's been there.
Those moments with Dan when Dan acknowledges their friendship are moments he desperately needs because Dan is treating him like a person instead of a prison number or a vicious beast.
He's a hindrance to his mother, a plague on society, and an absolute dream of a character to analyze.

Do you think Freud would go insane if he tried to analyze Rorschach? Dr. Long didn't fare too well, so I wonder if the father of psychoanalyisis would be able to deal with him. He seemed to be as anti-feminine/anti-sex as Walter himself!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:55 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Well, Walter did mess that other guy up, so...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 am 
Human Bean Juice

V.M.L. wrote:
Well, Walter did mess that other guy up, so...

Yes, but Freud and ol' Wally were a lot alike. If they lived around the same time, I swear Kovacs would look at Freud and say 'Grandpa?'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:08 am 

Shit, that would be so interesting! Walter should be a psychologist then!

Post subject: Rorschach in public
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:38 am 

There are many scenes in the book with Rorschach in full costume walking down the streets of New York. How is he able to get away with this? Surely, he would be very recognizable to the public and police would constantly be on the look out for him.

(This occurred to me because I recently tried to wear my Rorschach costume around my college campus. The cops made me stop after an hour. And I'm not even wanted, unlike Rorschach)

Post subject: Re: Rorschach in public
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:43 am 
A pretty butterfly.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1948

I think you started this thread also. :)

[NOTE: Merged. --"Curiosity Inc."]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:22 pm 

Dangit.

Couldn't find it so I thought it must've been deleted or something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:46 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Are you kidding me? Freud would be fascinated by Rorschach.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:46 am 
Crimebuster

Answer is simple. Rorschach can do whatever. He is stealthy, fast & strong. What does he have to worry about?

.']['.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:25 pm 
Crimebuster

Quote:
Answer is simple. Rorschach can do whatever. He is stealthy, fast & strong. What does he have to worry about?

Veidt setting a trap for him at Moloch's

Quote:
Do you think Freud would go insane if he tried to analyze Rorschach?

Supposing Rorschach's world view isn't new to him I'd think he would love to analyze Rorschach.

Quote:
There are many scenes in the book with Rorschach in full costume walking down the streets of New York. How is he able to get away with this? Surely, he would be very recognizable to the public and police would constantly be on the look out for him.

Rorschach travels in the dark side of town and what twobit criminal would mess with Rorschach? And I don't think the public would bother. The seemed perfectly fine with watching Kitty be rapped tortured and murdered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next