WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:40 pm 
Vigilante

Sasso wrote:
clovertard108 wrote:
Laurie, she was kinda usless, the onley thing she was needed for was convincing dr. manhatten to go back to earth and thats it.

She also allowed Dan to don his costume once again. Which lead to them breaking out Rorschach. Which lead to Rorschach and Dan finding out who was behind it all. Which lead Rorschach and Dan to Antarctica, which in turn let them escape a horrible death at the hands of the "alien" attack.

Yes that too, lol

This is bob, Copy and paste him, and soon he will take over Youtube, WCM & The Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:07 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

AndWhisperNo wrote:
I'm surprised no one picked Manhattan. He was by far my least favorite character in the entire novel. He's morally ambiguous, cold and uncaring and not even that smart as he constantly lets people pursuade him and seemingly has no actual personality or mind of his own. Then at the end he runs away like a coward and escapes all moral responsibility/accountability by running away AGAIN this time to another 'galaxy.' Worthless inhuman character, I'm happy he left earth for the more majestic and more 'important' vistas of alien worlds.

Manhattan is my least favorite Crimebuster in the novel (which is ironic since chapter 4 is my favorite chapter), but by no means do I hate him. I have a whole list of minor characters who are far more unlikeable.

I would say Gloria Long is my least favorite character, due to her selfishness in chapter 11. Or those knot-tops who killed Hollis Mason...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:33 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
AndWhisperNo wrote:
I'm surprised no one picked Manhattan. He was by far my least favorite character in the entire novel. He's morally ambiguous, cold and uncaring and not even that smart as he constantly lets people pursuade him and seemingly has no actual personality or mind of his own. Then at the end he runs away like a coward and escapes all moral responsibility/accountability by running away AGAIN this time to another 'galaxy.' Worthless inhuman character, I'm happy he left earth for the more majestic and more 'important' vistas of alien worlds.

*raise hand* I picked Manhattan too! I agree, he just doesn't care.

Manhattan was actually one of my favorite characters, personally. I think he balanced out the story by showing the overly emotional, entirely human characters that the use of cold, hard logic can often be more valid than an irrational emotional response. Sometimes, people forget that human beings are simply intelligent animals and that the universe is much larger and more important than our own small affairs.

If we were judging characters by personality, I'd have to say that the Comedian is my least favorite main character. He's essentially a pawn of the government and seems to enjoy killing for his own twisted reasons, rather than "love of country". I won't even get into the attempted rape, but he clearly has some sadistic sexual tendencies as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 pm 
Vigilante

I didnt like Doctor Manhattan either. This is a guy who has powers greater than superman and wont use them to make the world a better place. Heck he could create a billion tons of food for the people in Kenya, smash the Berlin Wall using his mind. The worst crux is when the comedian goes nuts and blasts his Viet girlfriend. I mean gimme a break, he shoulda turned the gun into bubbles or teleported them to New Mexico.
People who have the power to do good yet choose not to use it sicken me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:56 pm 
Vigilante

Dr. Manhattan not helping out others was a major part of the story. He was losing touch with humanity, he wasn't interested in mankind's problems anymore. He simply didn't care.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

You're not supposed to feed them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:01 pm 
Vigilante

sorry, must've missed the sign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Doug Roth, and prolly everyone in Nova Express: Roth not only was a douche at the Q&A, but also the way he wrote in his interview with Viedt. Speaking of which, he's a dick rider. Kissing up so damn much to Viedt. Everything about this guy makes me want to fight him. Alos, I believe he helped Viedt intentionally, being told to put blame on Manhatten. Now that I think of it, both could be homosexaul partners. Hurm.

Dan (Lauries step dad): Hate people like that.

Knot Tops: Killing Mason upset me in the comics, I felt more sad though. When I saw Hollis die in the motion comic, I was angered and sad. I can't wait for The End Is Nigh game to beat the hell out of them.

Gloria Long: Orignally, I didn't hate her, but the board makes a good point. Just cause she can't get any, she becomes unreasonable and leaves him? I know, she is neglected, but Malcolm just really wants to help and understand Rorschach.

Two Bernies: Actually no, I don't hate them. It's just, in the chapter when Dan and Rorschach confront Viedt, I was so impatient. Kept on going to them.

Ozymandias: When you think about it, he was also willing to kill a unknowing Dan, Rorschach, Laurie, and Mason. He really sold out too. And I just didn't agree with his plan. I know, greater good, blah blah blah, but he shouldn't take it into his own hands to judge the cost. Also, he killed his man servants, who he could likely have trusted, I mean, he took them in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:34 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Jman2113 wrote:

Wait, I thought his name was Laurence/Larry?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:40 am 
Tired of Earth.

Sally Jupiter wrote:
Jman2113 wrote:

It was.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:45 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Okay, good. For a sec, I thought I missed something. 0_o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:58 am 
Vigilante

The Pirate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:55 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'd have to say Doug Roth. Just......ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:47 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Sally Jupiter wrote:
Jman2113 wrote:

It was.

Sorry, slipped up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:29 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Real Life Rorschach wrote:
Veidt, just due to the fact that hes a liberal and gay. He also looks like a pussy in the trailer.

*asshole smile*

I wish all the homophobes and religious-right and people who love to live in the sixth century had one throat and that I had my hands about it.

For core characters, Laurie. I like her character, but she falls short compared to the others. I just didn't find her as interesting.

For minor characters, Derf the Knot Top. That dickhead killed hollis. :evil:

Really, there's a lot of characters I hate because of their personalities, but I found that they were well written or their bullshit made me laugh, so they're not on my list.

Bernie's "Let god sort it out" line disgusted me, but was very representative of certain people in America, so, in essence, I liked him as a character. Same goes for Rorschach, the journalists, and Nixon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:16 pm 
Minuteman

I never liked Silk Spectre II. Seemed like the whiny bitch of the book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:34 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Hmm.

I don't know if I have anyone in the book I can call a least favourite. It's always hard for me, in well done fiction. I can step back, look at the story, and see why every piece is there, and everyone has their role to play in Watchmen, so it's hard for me to say if there's someone there I don't like. Even characters who might not be as favoured still have their moments...

To say some characters are a least favourite to me, almost starts to feel like I'm saying they shouldn't be there, and I often can't do that. =)

J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 am 
Vigilante

Oh wow. Doug Roth I totally forgot about him. God I hated that guy. He would be as if Keith Olbermann and Maureen Dowd had a baby. People like him who lied about the facts in Iraq are the reason that we almost lost the war. Heck, they are the reason we lost Vietnam...liberal media..grrr.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:03 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I didn't care for the taxi cab woman and her girlfriend, and their little soap opera. I know the thematic reason for it, but was just bored to tears with it. Luckily, they're just minor characters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:12 pm 
New Frontiersman

Real Life Rorschach wrote:
Oh wow. Doug Roth I totally forgot about him. God I hated that guy. He would be as if Keith Olbermann and Maureen Dowd had a baby. People like him who lied about the facts in Iraq are the reason that we almost lost the war. Heck, they are the reason we lost Vietnam...liberal media..grrr.

Please take O' Reilly-esque nonsense out of this forum - it has nothing to do with the Watchmen GN.

- The Comedian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next