WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:10 pm 
Crimebuster

Rionymesh wrote:
InkFaceGuyPersonMan wrote:
Here is a video that fits the way this thread has gone lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJJqc6i944 :roll:

That was horrifyingly awkward. I'm sorry all this talk of slash has ruined this once respectable thread. Oh the shame...

I'm just hoping all the slash talk is over.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Rionymesh wrote:

That was horrifyingly awkward. I'm sorry all this talk of slash has ruined this once respectable thread. Oh the shame...

Fat chance.

Incidentally, did you ever notice how fat chance and slim chance mean the same exact thing?

I know. Deep right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:22 pm 
Crimebuster

Godziller66 wrote:
Rionymesh wrote:

Fat chance.

Incidentally, did you ever notice how fat chance and slim chance mean the same exact thing?

I know. Deep right?

You just blew my mind with that!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:17 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

You just blew my mind with that!

Small world! Now, we should probably hop back on the topic train, doncha think? Hell, who am I to talk. I didn'y really get why the lesbian woman (I forget her name) beat up her girlfriend. Was she just confused or what? And don't you think that there was a lot of sexuality questioning just under the surface of the story? What with the Minutemen and all. Again, eloquence eludes me.

You play with my world
Like it's your little toy - Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 am 
Human Bean Juice

I just choked on my beer...and am going to not say anything else. *giggles insanely*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:24 am 
Tired of Earth.

Rionymesh wrote:
I didn'y really get why the lesbian woman (I forget her name) beat up her girlfriend. Was she just confused or what?

Oh, yes. On the surface, she was not only confused, but sick of being a lesbian and fed up with her girlfriend's attempts to help her. However, I also think that at some subconscious level, she was worried about nuclear doomsday just as everyone else. Poor Joey had a ton of mental anxieties on top of emotional burdens and they all came pouring out in a burst of violence at the first opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
. Poor Joey had a ton of mental anxieties on top of emotional burdens and they all came pouring out in a burst of violence at the first opportunity.

Pouring out like Malcolm Long's ink blot tests came pouring out of his briefcase as he tried to break up their fight?

I think I've found even deeper meaning with that scene!

Sometimes I amaze even myself! 8-)

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:03 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Rionymesh wrote:
I didn'y really get why the lesbian woman (I forget her name) beat up her girlfriend. Was she just confused or what?

Oh, yes. On the surface, she was not only confused, but sick of being a lesbian and fed up with her girlfriend's attempts to help her. However, I also think that at some subconscious level, she was worried about nuclear doomsday just as everyone else. Poor Joey had a ton of mental anxieties on top of emotional burdens and they all came pouring out in a burst of violence at the first opportunity.

Why thank you, Mr. Inc! Another mystery solved. :mrgreen:

t3cii wrote:
Pouring out like Malcolm Long's ink blot tests came pouring out of his briefcase as he tried to break up their fight?

Gosh darn it. Everyone else seems to find all these deeper symbolic things when I just overlook them. My brain doesn't work that way. I'll have to go read it again.

You play with my world

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 pm 
Human Bean Juice

Rionymesh wrote:

t3cii wrote:

Gosh darn it. Everyone else seems to find all these deeper symbolic things when I just overlook them. My brain doesn't work that way. I'll have to go read it again.

Don't worry. It'll take several dozen readings. Trick is to not actually try to look for them. they tend to pop up themselves. Stuff has probably laced in the movie too...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:59 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Well it certainly shall be read again. And again and again. I was dumb enough to think I was seeing something subtle in the book, with all the little blood-splatter shapes. I was all, "Heh heh heh, I noticed another one. I'm so perceptive." But upon reading this site, I realised that I'm just another deluded fangirl. I'll need to watch the film again too, but 3 hours is a long time and I'm hellas busy.

Now then. Did Jon still have sexual feeling for Laurie, or was he just pretending for her sake? I never knew.

You play with my world

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:28 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Rionymesh wrote:
Well it certainly shall be read again. And again and again. I was dumb enough to think I was seeing something subtle in the book, with all the little blood-splatter shapes. I was all, "Heh heh heh, I noticed another one. I'm so perceptive." But upon reading this site, I realised that I'm just another deluded fangirl. I'll need to watch the film again too, but 3 hours is a long time and I'm hellas busy.
No shame in it. We're all humble geeks here and we all had to start somewhere.

Rionymesh wrote:
Now then. Did Jon still have sexual feeling for Laurie, or was he just pretending for her sake? I never knew.

Honestly, I think he genuinely did fall in love with Laurie way back when. His love for Janey Slater was undoubtedly real as well. But take a look at the last few panels of Chapter 3, page 4.

Quote:
"I thought you'd enjoy it. I do try to please you... I don't know what stimulates you anymore." --Dr. Manhattan
Take a close look at his choice of words. He makes no mention of his own sexual urges or desires, instead focusing on what makes Laurie happy. To me, this implies that (perhaps subconsciously) Dr. Manhattan has lost his own need and desire for sex at this point. He's just going through the motions to keep Laurie happy and with him, more in need of companionship than copulation.

So, to answer your question, it's both. He started out with a sexual want for Laurie until his need for physical pleasure went by the wayside with the rest of his degrading humanity. After that, his only need was friendship and in the end, he lost that need too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:46 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Thanks! I generally need more perceptive people to point these things out to me on this place. However, when Laurie convinced Jon to take her back to Earth in the whole "turning air to gold" conversation, didn't the Doc show some humanity there? Or was it what Adrian did that convinced him otherwise?

Looking at my half-assed posts, you'd think I hadn't read the thing at all. :?

You play with my world

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:54 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Rionymesh wrote:
However, when Laurie convinced Jon to take her back to Earth in the whole "turning air to gold" conversation, didn't the Doc show some humanity there?

No, he simply saw the value in human life. There's a difference. But we're getting off the subject.

Put simply, the Doctor's gradual loss of his sexual needs is one of many ways in which he loses his humanity through the story.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:05 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Okie smokes. Thanks for clarifying.

You play with my world