WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:06 am 
Minuteman

offense taken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 pm 
Crimebuster

Dreiberg wrote:
SilkOwl wrote:
Dreiberg wrote:
i wont judge...but this topic is just weird....

Oh sorry, we'll translate for you. Hahaha boobies, hahaha P.P.

Happy?

i don't appreciate being treated as if i am a child, especially be someone who wont give me a chance to explain myself.

now, asshole,

although i greatly appreciate your devotion to the graphic novel and its frequent symbolism(subtle or otherwise) i feel being such huge fans of the novel may make you see things that weren't intended or aren't there.

please take this into consideration instead of insulting me, it really gives me an idea on how welcoming and friendly the members here are to a newbie offering input.

.']['.

Though I respect your viewpoint to some degree, I do believe that the novel, as any great piece of art, is up to interpretation. It is the individual's job to see the book as he wishes, and if you do not want to concern yourself with a topic about "the three letter s word" then don't post here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:27 am 
Minuteman

i never said i was opposed to interpretation nor this topics existence

sex is prominent in the graphic novel, more so than in the movie, so by all means it should get discussed.

all i said was that i wouldn't judge but that people were jumping to some strange conclusions

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
Crimebuster

Dreiberg wrote:
i wont judge...but this topic is just weird....

Your exact words, but I'll drop it. Back to the matter at hand: sex. Sex sex sex. Where were we? (Monty Python reference, fyi)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:55 pm 
Crimebuster

I never thought Rorschach was... sexually aroused by Dan because he is a super conservative and his obvious fear of sex. It never occurred to me that he may dislike Laurie's costume because it turned him on. I just figured it made her look like a slut and thus made him think of his abusive mother. but this alternate view seems far more plausible to me as it takes into consideration his hate of handling female clothing. On another note I think sometime in the movie they have Rorschach complain about Dabn's infatuation with Laurie. Jealousy perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Bernard wrote:
I never thought Rorschach was... sexually aroused by Dan because he is a super conservative and his obvious fear of sex. It never occurred to me that he may dislike Laurie's costume because it turned him on. I just figured it made her look like a slut and thus made him think of his abusive mother. but this alternate view seems far more plausible to me as it takes into consideration his hate of handling female clothing. On another note I think sometime in the movie they have Rorschach complain about Dabn's infatuation with Laurie. Jealousy perhaps?

Yeah......I do think he gets turned on by females. If Rorschach was totally asexual, why would he get turned on by that dream he had when he was 13? It said it disturbed him 'physically'.

I think he feels bad about seeing females as sex objects. I mean I don't like seeing people as sex objects but obviously I still have those feelings. I've just never really acted on them much even though I'm 25. I don't want one night stands or anything. I'm kind of scared of sex actually.

Anyway, I do wonder how Rorschach would react if a woman was actually interested in him.....like someone other than an actual prostitute. Especially if he knew her for a while before that. And if it's a virgin can he actually get away at all with calling her a whore? XD

lol. I remember in the Director's Cut version there is a part where Rorschach says something to Dan like "Should have known a nice pair of legs would motivate you." and I was like "lol....doesn't that mean Rorschach is admiting that they're nice?" XD

I do think Rorschach is a lonely person to a degree. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be.

I think he tries to be asexual by the way but pretty sure he actually isn't. He has good self-control though. And anyway, sex for love is a lot different than sex for money or just plain lust. It's too bad that Rorschach is so anti-social that it's hard for him to form close bonds with people and I do think that it's hard for him to trust females because of his mom. By nature he probably sees females as using their bodies to get stuff or something.

Anyway I don't really see how working with female clothes would have made him feel so awkward if it wasn't making him think dirty thoughts. If he was just asexual and had no feelings like that I don't think it would have done that to him. The reason he felt awkward is probably because he was trying to force himself to not think those things and would get annoyed at himself for thinking them.

Probably can't be proven 100% unless Alan Moore says something but it does seem that way.

lol. Part of this is me just hoping he's attracted to females though since I'm a fangirl. LOL. I don't want to ruin my fantasies. -_-;;;;; LOL. That makes me feel so wrong and embarrassed. LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 pm 
Crimebuster

I couldn't help but think of this when I read that last bit.
[/QUOTE]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:47 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Yeah I've seen that before.

I think Rorschach might be a bit embarrassed if a girl actually liked him though. XD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Bernard wrote:
I couldn't help but think of this when I read that last bit.
[/QUOTE]

I think that's just about the best Valentine's card I've ever seen. I want to use that eventually but I don't know how because it doesn't really make any sense when given to someone lol. But then again it says Happy Valentine's Day at the bottom so yeah I guess I could use it. I should probably make sure the person knows about Watchmen. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:29 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Argh, every argument on this thread is as plausible as the next, so I don't know what to think anymore. The predominant thought I had about Rorschach (I'm using Ror as an example since the other characters aren't as fun to analyse) was that he may have had feelings for Dan. However, being a Ror/Dan fangirl in hiding, I was almost certainly biased towards that. I didn't want him to be attracted to women because that would make the fanfiction invalid.

But reading all your well thought out ideas that never even occured to me while reading the novel, I feel like such a n00b. Hell, I am a n00b. I don't feel capable to explain my view on this topic coherently, but I did notice all the stuff like how uncomfortable Rorschach is with sex, especially about women.

Aside from all the already mentioned things, the only other instance I can think of is in chapter 5 page 18 panel 6, where Kovacs describes how becoming Rorschach lets him become free from lust. In the background there's the Nostalgia poster with the quite sexualised woman, and that to me seems like the kind of subtlety Alan Moore would go for. Now, that may be obvious to you all and I'm just stupidly pointing it out but I don't think that had been mentioned yet.

Most evidence points to Rorschach being attracted to women. But there's a lot to the contrary, so for the moment I pettily choose to think he's gay, because I like slash.

P.S That Valentine is frickin hilarious.

You play with my world
Like it's your little toy - Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Rionymesh wrote:
Argh, every argument on this thread is as plausible as the next, so I don't know what to think anymore. The predominant thought I had about Rorschach (I'm using Ror as an example since the other characters aren't as fun to analyse) was that he may have had feelings for Dan. However, being a Ror/Dan fangirl in hiding, I was almost certainly biased towards that. I didn't want him to be attracted to women because that would make the fanfiction invalid.

But reading all your well thought out ideas that never even occured to me while reading the novel, I feel like such a n00b. Hell, I am a n00b. I don't feel capable to explain my view on this topic coherently, but I did notice all the stuff like how uncomfortable Rorschach is with sex, especially about women.

Aside from all the already mentioned things, the only other instance I can think of is in chapter 5 page 18 panel 6, where Kovacs describes how becoming Rorschach lets him become free from lust. In the background there's the Nostalgia poster with the quite sexualised woman, and that to me seems like the kind of subtlety Alan Moore would go for. Now, that may be obvious to you all and I'm just stupidly pointing it out but I don't think that had been mentioned yet.

Most evidence points to Rorschach being attracted to women. But there's a lot to the contrary, so for the moment I pettily choose to think he's gay, because I like slash.

P.S That Valentine is frickin hilarious.

You know you could just see him as bi and that would let him be attracted fo females without ruining your slash ideas. XD

Anyway I would say that there is for sure evidence of him being attracted to women at least. That's not to say he couldn't potentially be bi though so it doesn't really ruin your ideas. XD Although Rorschach did seem to be against same sex relationships.....but that wouldn't mean he couldn't possibly have that feeling for a guy at some point and just not act on it. Although I'm not a slash fan really personally so I don't think about that. I don't hate slash and I save pics sometimes! I just don't really get into it like some fangirls. My long time friend in real life though is a gay guy so I'm totally used to it all.

By the way I remember some chapter where Rorschach says something about it being too bad that Laurie couldn't be with them and Dan says something like "Yes.....it is too bad." as if he thought it was strange that Rorschach would say that or like he was worried Rorschach might be interested in Laurie. LOL. It did make me wonder if Rorschach wanted to get to know women but was shy about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 pm 
Crimebuster

Funnily enough being bisexual is practically the opposite of being asexual and that seems to be what Rorschach strives for. Kinda ironic really.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Raine Summerfly wrote:
You know you could just see him as bi and that would let him be attracted fo females without ruining your slash ideas. XD

YES good idea. Why'd I never think of that.

Bernard wrote:
Funnily enough being bisexual is practically the opposite of being asexual and that seems to be what Rorschach strives for. Kinda ironic really.

But that makes sense, because he's meant to be a hypocrite isn't he? In fact, Rorschach being secretly bi is an interesting idea. He's messed up enough anyway, but I don't know how to extend that idea so someone else can do it. Then I'll read it and nod along.

You play with my world

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:22 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Bernard wrote:

Well I personally see him as straight(and lol I want him to like females since I'm a female who likes him) but if people like the slash stuff, seeing him as bi is a good option and it's reasonable enough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:58 am 
Crimebuster

Wait... you mean you guys haven't figured out all the Rorschach x Bubastis undertones? For shame! Of course, Rorschach repressing his sexuality and Bubastis being a giant mutant cat means that their relationship was purely romantic.

Why do you think Rorschach was practically begging the Doc to be ka-boom'd? He couldn't live without his Bu-Bu. You just have to read between the lines, peeps. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:45 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

XD There's probably a fic with that somewhere, what with Rule 34 and all. But it's probably safe to say that Rorschach thinks people who practise beastality are scum too.

You play with my world

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:26 pm 
Crimebuster

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
Hourglass wrote:
Although I won't deny that Dan and Rorschach can act like a bickering married couple at times. . .

This made me smile like the Comedian in 'Nam. I was instantly reminded of a line from the movie, where Dan and Rorschach are on Archie flying to Karnak and there's the "icing problem". The ships starts malfunctioning and Rorschach shouts "DANIEL, NEED TO GET INNER EAR CHECKED! PULL UP SHARPLY OR I'LL--!"

Reminds me of my mother on car trips...

While I am a Niteschach shipper, I don't think Rorschach really has the emotional capacity for any form of relationship, sexual or otherwise.

Actually, he said "DANIEL, DON'T WISH TO INTERFERE WITH RUNNING OF SHIP BUT PERHAPS SHOULD PULL UP SHARPLY BEFORE--!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 pm 
Crimebuster

Here is a video that fits the way this thread has gone lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJJqc6i944 :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

InkFaceGuyPersonMan wrote:

:o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:01 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

InkFaceGuyPersonMan wrote:

That was horrifyingly awkward. I'm sorry all this talk of slash has ruined this once respectable thread. Oh the shame...

You play with my world

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next