WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Genre issues
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:55 pm 
Crimebuster

I know this is my third topic. Sorry if I am over posting but something

Meta fiction--Self-conscious fiction, often like the French lieutenant's woman with the author in the work or revisionist like Wicked or Was. There isn't much on this yet, no specific subgenre names or such, but it is my favorite "genre". That is perhaps why I like.

But I don't quite know...is Watchmen Metafiction or Post-War Allegory, some other genre entirely?

Post subject: Re: Genre issues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:36 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

***URGE TO CROSS A LINE RISING...***

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:36 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I think the only way to class it is - Alan Moore.

What more can be said? Like all those other Genre names, it means so much to those who know, and very little to those who dont.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Let's talk, you and me.

Let's talk about UCONNgirl.

Will you do that for me, Maddie? Will you talk about UCONNgirl?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

Dr. William Long. He's a naughty boy, that one.

A reminder to those of us who have read Watchmen more times than we can count...

There are those who are, after a mere half dozen readings or so, just discovering the first layer or two.

Patience, brothers and sisters.

Patience.

For
we
are

VIVARIANS!

>burp<

Seriously, though, broken digit dude... how many chicks do you know that are Watchmen fans? Cut her a wee bit of slack.

Remember Nostalgia? I recall her avatar... that purple bottle spilling out smelly goodness... airbrushed and perfect... remember her? I'll bet she was absolutely porcine in person... but it was nice to have a female point of view. Still is.

Patience, digit, my brother. Patience.

>hic<

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:49 pm 
A brother to dragons.

FROM THE NOTES OF DR. WILLIAM LONG, NOVEMBER 13TH, 2007:

Okay, now, I guess you know what this is...

FIRST INTERVIEW WITH WATKINS...HE'S EVEN MORE DISTURBED THAN I THOUGHT, BUT I'M OPTIMISTIC. A SUCCESS COULD MAKE MY REPUTATION HERE AT WATCHMENMOVIE.COM, AS WELL AS THE VIVARIUM. POSSIBLY IMDb AS WELL, BUT WHO GIVES A SHIT?

I want you to look at my post to UCONNgirl for what it was.

HE'S VERY WITHDRAWN, WITH AN UNEXPECTED MIDWESTERN TWANG IN HIS VOICE. GETTING A RESPONSE IS *snicker* IS OFTEN DIFFICULT.

Will you look at it, Vynson? Will you do that for me?

PHYSICALLY, HE'S A REAL LOOKER. Image I COULD STARE AT HIM FOR HOURS. NO, I'M TOTALLY NOT GAY. I'M JUST SAYIN'.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:32 pm 
Crimebuster

umm...what are you all talking about? :?: I was just talking about meta fiction. I was just thinking it was an underwritten genre.

If you want to talk about me...well...I guess you got the name Maddie...

I'm a sophomore. I like a lot of different books. I find this forum fun and different from any other I've been on. I like to try new things. I am a bit of a literati, but not to a book worm point, because I'd rather hang out with friends or go see a movie then read.

I am the community service officer of a christian community service sorority?

I'm very social and I get pissed off that everyone is walking around on with ipod headphones on because no one can hear me coming on my bike.

My favorite "sport" is biking, my dirt bike is my most prize possession. I want to be a writer. I'm a paid writer for a newspaper. I like listening to fall out boy, kanye west (poor kanye) and the academy is...and Third Eye Blind

I work for ESPN 2 sometimes on weekends for games.

I've done the free hugs thing like in the skinny puppy youtube video. I have brown hair, I am 5'7', I have a slight gut even thought I am a gym rat most of the time. I'm not like incredibly sexy but my looks are mildly pleasing and inoffensive. I have a skater style, that is sort of conservative at times. I am a t-shirt, hoodie, jeans and skirt kind of girl. (I own a pair of chucks in an almost lame hipster way, something for which I immensely apologize. Yeah, I am trying to be "cool")

I'm basically just an outwardly normal person with a creative spark I reserve for my writing.

Is that helpful?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:33 pm 
Crimebuster

Who are you broken finger? :)

Post subject: Digitized
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 am 

Broken Finger shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

He is the only living person with the blood type Q Neutral. DNA tests confirm that he is the father of every child born in Topeka, Kansas since 1979.

Other than that, not much is known for sure.

But there are rumors. None of them very nice. All of them involving ballerina outfits, peanut butter, and a Twister game purchased at a yard sale in Houston, Texas for a handful of change and certain "favors."

He is not allowed to cross the U.S./Canadian border for reasons that the Canadians have refused to disclose. When asked, one mounted patrolman fell from his steed, curled into a fetal position, and uttered the word "Skippy" over and over until he began to bleed profusely from his gums and nose.

Ironically enough, Reno holds an annual parade for him. It seems they didn't much care for the man he shot.

He is pretty much unemployable, but has managed to become independently wealthy by selling his reproductive fluids by the gallon on ebay. Supposedly, it tastes like peanut butter.

He was last seen running down the median of I-75... chased by several hundred women all calling him "Skippy." Whatever that means.

But perhaps the greatest mystery surrounding this shadowy figure is a rare photograph of him shaking hands with Abraham Lincoln moments after the Gettysburg Address. Many scientists have examined the old sepia photograph and confirmed its authenticity. While some are skeptical, it should be noted that Lincoln's final word was "Skippy."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:40 am 
The Watcher

This thread was swerving from the start, and now, I believe, it has careened off of the median several times, flipped over, and landed in a drainage ditch. God have mercy.

Post subject: Back issues
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:05 am 

Since the title of the thread is "genre issues" I would argue that we are still on topic. but clearly, some of us have more issues than others of us.

Why is everyone looking at me like that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:10 am 
Tired of Earth.

The only reason I'm keeping this thread open is because it makes me laugh. It makes me laugh so hard, my abs hurt.

Seriously, I think we can all agree that Watchmen defies genre. It has elements of allegory, metafiction, sci-fi, psychological thriller, mystery and superhero story, without ever really belonging to any one genre.

Watchmen is, first and foremost, what Alan Moore called a "meditation on power." Political power, financial power, destructive power, the power to save lives, the power to take lives, and the power that comes with being a celebrity. So, Watchmen isn't centered around a genre -- it's centered around a theme.

I don't know if that answers your question, UCONNgirl, but that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:56 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

*Unfunny post warning* :P

Ok. We're in the comic part of this forum, but I am going to mention the film. (Or its marketing).

It's easier to release a genre-bending GN and say "here it is, take it or leave it" than it is to slot the filmed result in the genre-laden marketplace of cinema.

Super-Hero film!
Science-fiction thriller!
Alternative history!
"What if"...!

Well-known figures – such as Hulk, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Dick Tracy etc –
along with even lesser-knowns – such as Hellboy, Swamp Thing, Tank Girl, Daredevil, Flash, Ironman etc – are marketable in direct relation to the awareness the public has regarding the characters' presence in print.

Even recent bashes at converting graphic novels to film (Sin City and 300) are linkable to a previous existing comic idea. Even though Joe Public may have never seen them. Poor Moore (From Hell, V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) has such complicated narratives, that much of the content is lost on the producers and directors, let alone the bloody audience. (Handled properly, though, I see no barriers. Audiences have been dumbed-down. From the 1930's adult bullet-speed screw-ball comedies to the marvellously raw 1970's dramas audiences were asked to go at least half way).

Stand-alone Graphic Novels, such as Moore's are harder to pigeon-hole. They are dripping with references and ideas. Moore is a master at doing this without thumping home obvious clues. Would take some real talent to get that working properly in a movie.

So what the hell is Watchmen? Tricky concept to put out there. It must be a bit like Marty McFly visting a place he thought he knew, but things aren't exactly how they should be. Something has happened. What?

For it to really work, it has to be pitched as a "what if". Of course it's fantasy, but the premise of it being set in 1985 is a tricky one to get across.

"The greatest comic-book of all time now a major film!" /shudders.

Post subject: Forever in bluegenes.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 am 

Y'know, I think it's easier to think about what Watchmen is if we think for a moment about what it was originally intended to be. It was meant to be a six issue limited series about the Charleton characters. It would have been all plot because we'd have the history of the pre-existing characters to fall back upon.

When that concept fell through, this project became something else entirely. Once Moore and Gibbons had to create a whole new world, Watchmen was off and running. In creating characters based on the Charleton originals, the deconstruction began and the barn door was opened. The archetypes got broken down. The cliches were exposed and parodied. The light of the real world was shone upon all the beauty and silliness that is the superhero genre.

And the word "superhero" is why Jon is so important. He's the only character that is super. And the only one of the costumes who is not really heroic. He doesn't give a shit about anyone but Janey and Laurie. The other characters, right or wrong, have deeply held beliefs that define them and compel them to be heroes. Even the Comedian, one of the most complex characters in the book... made all the more interesting by the fact that his archetype is utterly flat and boring. Edward Blake is a very sad character suspended in despair... and makes himself at home there. We may see Nick Fury and Captain America on the surface, but underneath, the Joker is closer to the truth. Which is why, I suspect, he's called the Comedian.

In a way, Watchmen is a parody, as any good deconstruction must be, but that only scratches at the surface. Ultimately, genre is an attempt to classify that fails here. At least for me.

I agree with the poster above who said the genre here is: Alan Moore.