WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

first, i´m glad no one here took offense to the "guy´s perspective" jibe ... ;)

and second, pliny, you make some interesting points. this is very plausible. plus, let´s not forget that jon apparently went out of his way to please her (the disastrous threesome idea is most certainly just one example), and being loved is a very strong reason to stick around.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:32 am 
Vigilante

Junky_dude wrote:
can anyone shed light on how Laurie can fall in love with Dr. Manhattan? i mean seriously, i know love is skin deep, but the guy is BLUE in colour (or color to you americans ;) )!

My theory is why Laurie is in a relationship with Dr. Manhattan is because he can change the size of his.......... :D

in all seriousness, what's your take on it?

Heh being a Manhattan girl from the moment I started to read the GN my answer is what is not to love? ;)

But I would like to turn the question around why Dr. Manhattan would fall in love with Laurie? I know she was young and pretty but that grows old after a couple of years and with is privilegde position on the governement I'm sure he could had any woman he wanted too at the same time but in fact he fought to keep her and was hurted when he left him and he loved her enough to be happy she found Dan, (I also think that if he wouldn't changed his mind on Mars he was ready to offer her to stay there to keep her alive if she wanted to, those milk and water tricks sounds like attempts to woo her back, IMO) so what keep him glued to Laurie for all this 20 years is as good question as why Laurie fell for him, YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:04 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I dont think laurie is a gold digger, or just a whore, its just, its what she's used too.

When she's 16, shes evidently drawn to him because of the power and the physical fitness of him.

A man of that build is just a dream for a girl like her. Who cares if shes blue? heck, it makes it more exciting.

Then there's the nigh on limitless capabilities.

Its gotta be hot to her, right?

And then, you know, thats simply, how it was. She was used to it. They clearly never had any arguments and untill we are introduced to her, learly had no doubts about the relationship.

An odd song to bring up in this instance is 'look for the woman' by dan le sac vs scroobius pip

'See we got together so young,
before our real lives had begun,
but flowers don't grow up as one,
each finds its own way to the sun,
and that's exactly what we've done.

We've grown up separately too,

And for a few years now it's been the problem,
and these realisations...i wish that i could stop them,
but I've realised that love is all we have in common,
and deep down you know that's true.'

She got with jon long before her life began. And it just stayed.

But in the end "Love is all they have in common'. She loved him at 16, and thats that. She carried on loving him.

(Although, its arguable that jon actually loves her, you know, being out of touch with everything, right. )
Thats a damn good song, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm 
Vigilante

Ikke av flesk wrote:
I dont think laurie is a gold digger, or just a whore, its just, its what she's used too.

I agree, I think we need to also take in account that her mother was also a kept woman so she probably didn't had a lot of encouragement to try and earn a living by herself it didn't helped that she was the only girl on the mask adventurer team and that outside them she didn't knew any career woman. All the circumstances made her to be a very dependent person IMO. Wich is diferent to her looking for the next meal ticket or/and lay and nothing more. Laurie has a lot of defects but a gold digger and whore she is not IMO.

Quote:
(Although, its arguable that jon actually loves her, you know, being out of touch with everything, right. )

I don't question his love is more about the way he loved her, Jon was ready to live on other planet when Laurie was ready to have a normal relationship, they were just not on the same page and sadly never will. I doubt that he went out of his way to please her just out of boredom. I think he truly loved her and was really hurted that she replaced him that easily, when for him she was the whole world for her, is just that Hatty feels on a diferent level/way than her.

Quote:
Thats a damn good song, too.

Yes it is! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 pm 
Vigilante

Junky_dude wrote:
can anyone shed light on how Laurie can fall in love with Dr. Manhattan? i mean seriously, i know love is skin deep, but the guy is BLUE in colour (or color to you americans ;) )!

So what if he's blue? What if you turned green and people questioned why a woman would want to date you. Oh and "color" or "colour?" Who gives a shit? It's still the same word.

Junky_dude wrote:
My theory is why Laurie is in a relationship with Dr. Manhattan is because he can change the size of his.......... :D

in all seriousness, what's your take on it?

You can't talk about Dr. Manhattan's penis and then say "in all seriousness." That doesn't make any sense.

"They got writers, and scientists on this island with a giant squid! They didn't even invite me! They're having a bloody party! They have hookers! What the fuck Adrian, you bastard! Next time you visit me, you're getting a can of whoop ass!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 am 
Crimebuster

I agree with a lot of things people have said here, and I thought I'd add my take on it. Forgive me if this has been touched on before.

Jon fell in love with Laurie because for the first time, he could make the first move and control the dynamic of the relationship. Laurie didn't try to control him like Janey. Jon was a passive person by nature, and with Laurie, he felt physically and emotionally awakened (temporarily) for the first time. Laurie was an attractive young girl who inherited traits from her mother, using her natural charm and flirtatiousness to attract male attention. Plus, I agree with what others have said; he was different, exotic, had a nice body, and she was going through that age where her hormones were raging. I assume she never had a real boyfriend before, or had a "normal" adolescence where she could go to high school and be with guys her own age, so he was her first love and a father figure.

Laurie saw Jon as a real person. When they go out on patrol together, she asks what his real name is. She never acted afraid of him like Janey did, even though Janey knew Jon before he became Dr. Manhattan. They both had parents that pushed them into careers they didn't necessarily want or enjoy, so they had that in common. I never thought Laurie was looking for a meal ticket or necessarily wanted to be a kept woman for the government, it just happened to turn out that way after the Keene act was passed.

I'm sure for a while she was content to live the lifestyle for a while since she never really enjoyed adventuring. I think Jon and Laurie were happy when they first got together, but he became slowly detached from humanity after they moved to the military base. Once she grew up, had the experience of life, and discovered who Jon really was, it was easy to see why she fell in love with Dan because she wanted a (somewhat) stable and normal life that Jon would never be able to give her since he was essentially like God. Added to the fact that Jon did something really insensitive and tried to make her do something she didn't want to do, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 am 
Vigilante

PenSpectreII wrote:
Laurie saw Jon as a real person.

It seems that Laurie is the only character to see Jon as a real person rather than a freak, or a tool or a weapon, and I think that's what Jon values about her. And I think he does love her - he clearly still has emotions (almost every major act he carries out in the GN is driven by his emotion, rather than cold, dispassionate logic), but his intellectual and experiential alienation make it impossible for him to express that.

Laurie's attitude, I'm sure, is a result of her unique upbringing - she grew up around Masks, sees them as the norm. Admittedly Jon is a bit more, er, exotic than the others, but she doesn't have the same benchmark as everyone else. I think that also explains why she ends up so directionless - I don't think she set out to become a kept woman, she just drifted into it. She's a Mask because she doesn't know what else to do. For her, normal life - working with animals - is exotic, and being a superhero is just there. Of course, once she stops being a superhero, she doesn't have anything else to do with herself... "normal" life isn't all it's cracked up to be!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 am 
Vigilante

Quote:
It seems that Laurie is the only character to see Jon as a real person rather than a freak, or a tool or a weapon, and I think that's what Jon values about her. And I think he does love her - he clearly still has emotions (almost every major act he carries out in the GN is driven by his emotion, rather than cold, dispassionate logic), but his intellectual and experiential alienation make it impossible for him to express that.

Indeed. I think is obvious that he keeps trying to reach to her and trying to make her seem things his way in order to keep the bond and I also got the feeling that everything he did in Mars was him desperately looking for a reason to connect with us again. I think that he if he didn't wanted to he would had just shut his brain to Laurie's speech but instead he keeps reasoning asking till he finds it, IMO.

Quote:
Laurie's attitude, I'm sure, is a result of her unique upbringing - she grew up around Masks, sees them as the norm. Admittedly Jon is a bit more, er, exotic than the others, but she doesn't have the same benchmark as everyone else. I think that also explains why she ends up so directionless - I don't think she set out to become a kept woman, she just drifted into it. She's a Mask because she doesn't know what else to do. For her, normal life - working with animals - is exotic, and being a superhero is just there. Of course, once she stops being a superhero, she doesn't have anything else to do with herself... "normal" life isn't all it's cracked up to be!

I for one don't blame Laurie for not having a career I mean she was raised to be a hero and her mother made her join the team as soon at 16! I don't think she never even attended a normal school or had a chance to see what could she do without depending on others and then her first boyfriend turns out to be a God (a well payed one) wich means that she was again in no need to pursue things on her own, not even as a mask since Jon was also his partner (and it looks like the only one that wanted to hang around with her) so I think she also appreciated that he was willing to give her attention when she was the youngest member and probably must of them consider hanging with her babysitting, and then there was no more females on the team or femenine figures that could give her some advice of what to do when the Keene act passed.

I mean is a miracle she found the strenght to walk away from Jon the way she did (but again one have to wonder if she would have if Dan didn't looked so damn supportive and willing to pay attention to her), even if a week later she was already depending on someone else but after 30 something years a week is hard to leave old habits.