WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Moloch and his ears.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Cool, I wanted to ask about this too. At first I assumed it indicated supernatural powers and I wanted an explanation, but now I'm glad they left it open to interpretation. I'm sure Moloch never explained his ears to anyone, either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Stop showing those pictures, Avenging World might return to plague us

and I have also always wondered about the ears, and thought he might be related to Spock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:03 am 
Alien Squid Monster

This is not explained in the GN -- there might be some references in the materials prepared for the DC Heroes role-playing game, the Watchmen Sourcebook or the two RPG modules. These may not be strictly canonical but Moore did have some oversight and input on these.

I assumed purely from my own interpretation that it was either a natural deformity that Moloch found useful as a stage device or he'd deliberately had plastic surgery to give him that extra visual pazazz.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:14 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

piper909 wrote:
This is not explained in the GN -- there might be some references in the materials prepared for the DC Heroes role-playing game, the Watchmen Sourcebook or the two RPG modules. These may not be strictly canonical but Moore did have some oversight and input on these.

I assumed purely from my own interpretation that it was either a natural deformity that Moloch found useful as a stage device or he'd deliberately had plastic surgery to give him that extra visual pazazz.
It seems to indicate that it's a natural deformity. Cosmestic surgery wasn't THAT great at the time. He's been around since the 1930s, pointy ears and all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

DogWithHeadSplitOpen wrote:
piper909 wrote:

It seems to indicate that it's a natural deformity. Cosmestic surgery wasn't THAT great at the time. He's been around since the 1930s, pointy ears and all.

It's probably justa natural thing, like Leohnard Nimoy has.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:37 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

piper909 wrote:

Cool. Thanks! I have these other materuials at home but am not in a position to quickly take a look.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
Vigilante

Unrelated....

I love this painting. I used to go and lay down on the floor and stare at it for hours.

I love it so much that during the restoration process, I got the restorer to take up close pictures for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:47 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

To droop, or not to droop? Which do you prefer?

I like them both, but I seem to be partly to the drooping ears. He looks less "Vulcan" and the feel it "exaggerates" better, particularly in his old age, as it insinuates his bare head a much more.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:03 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I like them both, but I seem to be partly to the drooping ears. He looks less "Vulcan" and the feel it "exaggerates" better, particularly in his old age, as it insinuates his bare head a much more.

Yeah, I agree. I think the droopiness makes him look more defeated, more worn down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:36 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Janx wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I think the droopiness makes him look more defeated, more worn down.
Very much so, yet in his younger days, it was not so! They stick up a great deal more, which gives him this "doberman" look, as if he's always alert and ready -- confident! As he got older (and wiser), his ears drooped a little more and more. It's subtle, but it speaks volumes!

Minutemen-era:

Crimebusters/Watchmen-era:

1975 "Under the Hood" interview:

Present-day 1985:

1975 ears appear a more "droopy" than in 1985. This simply good be that they're more forward; while in 1985, they're more "backward." This could be that his ears droop further as he ages, or it could represent his fragile psychological state. In 1975, he would just around the time he got out of prison. He still hasn't quite for himself situated. Then, again, Matt Frewer plays Moloch with such humility in "Under the Hood", while he seems almost at the end of his rope in the events of the film. This could explain why his ears moved "backward"; he was taking "illegal" drugs for his cancer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:55 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Location: Between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Separated at birth?

Either Moloch was born with mis-shapen ear lobes of he is a member of the great undead.
Hmmm, maybe Eddie was lucky he wasn't hungry that night.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:35 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Minutemarch wrote:
Separated at birth?

Either Moloch was born with mis-shapen ear lobes or he is a member of the great undead.
Mwhahahahhahahahahaa! The original "emo goth" before it was even a term.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:58 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

That watermark on the right is appalling! They stole my stolen pic!! I mean, loads of websites did (some big ones included, yay!) but they didn't have the audacity to claim it as their own!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:13 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
That watermark on the right is appalling! They stole my stolen pic!! I mean, loads of websites did (some big ones included, yay!) but they didn't have the audacity to claim it as their own!
Sorry....couldn't find your "original" shots you did on my computer. (comfort huggles AYB) :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:30 pm 
Crimebuster

since this is the only thread about Moloch, i thought i'd revisit it... anybody else feel bad for poor Moloch? condemned to waste away from cancer just to be a statistic in a fake pile of evidence; then murdered outright just to frame Rorschach. goddamn Adrian Veidt- such a bastard! =(

another thing, i loved Matt Frewer in this role. not a large one but he made the absolute most of it. very memorable performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:28 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

piper909 wrote:

The only thing is, they don't look cut. They still have the outermost folds that ears always have, they just come to points.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:51 pm 
Crimebuster

here's another picture of a real person w/ "Darwin's Point"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 am 
Crimebuster

I always assumed he was born that way and decided to play it to his advantage when he decided to be a magician/criminal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:15 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I have heard about the odd person being born with ears like that before but it's really rare.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Raine Summerfly wrote:
I have heard about the odd person being born with ears like that before but it's really rare.

And most people whose children were born with ears like that- I mean folded-over, super-pointy Moloch ears, not the subtle little Darwin's point discussed elsewhere in this thread- would probably have it surgically corrected while the child was still an infant.