WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:03 pm 
Vigilante

Great panel indeed. I remember somebody on DeviantArt turned it into a motivational poster once. The caption read "RRAAAARRL: When 'AAARRGH' just isn't enough." I had a good long laugh at that...

Rorshach's journal. October 16, 1985. Been waiting in Moloch's fridge for three hours. Ate two raw eggs and packet of honey mustard sauce. Just realized I am sitting on baking soda. Freezing ass off. Really have to take leak.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Absolutely amazing. In the Motion Comic, they treat it absolutely perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:03 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Also, fantastic. The first time I turned to that page, I felt my heart sink, it's so great. With two of his "companions" (one who doesn't care) and his murderer standing there. It's just so sad:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:41 pm 
Crimebuster

joshsirjoshules wrote:

Absolutely amazing. In the Motion Comic, they treat it absolutely perfectly.

This one is so "Punny". I love how he "Understands the gravity of the situation" but it doesn't affect him. Much like the gravity on Mars doesn't affect his castle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:20 am 
Minuteman

For me, at the moment, it's probably Rorchach hesitantly looking at his landlady's child and seeing himself. The subtlety of that expression as Dave Gibbons drew it is simply amazing, and it's arguably one of the most pivotal shots of the book, since it is the first time we ever see Rorchach compromise as 'Walter' starts to fight back, a foreshadowing of what happens in the snow soon after.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:11 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Ade Bamforth wrote:
it is the first time we ever see Rorchach compromise as 'Walter' starts to fight back

I agree with you it's a fantastic moment, but I've got to disagree with you on this point - it's not the first time. Look at Ch2 p24.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 am 
Crimebuster

I like the panel that is my avatar. Although, as can see, the whole book is memorable, every single part in it is memorable.

.']['.

.']['.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:50 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Ade Bamforth wrote:
it is the first time we ever see Rorchach compromise as 'Walter' starts to fight back

I agree with you it's a fantastic moment, but I've got to disagree with you on this point - it's not the first time. Look at Ch2 p24.

This is pretty fascinating, I hadn't thought about it like that. He says in Chapter 6 that after the kidnap case, there was only Rorschach. I never thought that there's actually an internal conflict happening between Rorschach and Walter Kovacs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:19 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Oh there absolutely is, and others here could put it much better than me, but his refusal to compromise isn't the only reason for his "suicide"....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:57 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Oh there absolutely is, and others here could put it much better than me, but his refusal to compromise isn't the only reason for his "suicide"....

Oh of course it isn't. It's clear that he's in quite a bit of psychological pain at this point, Veidt's plan taking him past what his seemingly limitless will could handle. I just didn't realize that it was part of an internal conflict.

Though I have to wonder, what psychological effect would it have on Laurie? She's the only one out of the five of them who witnessed the bloody aftermath and cared.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:27 am 
Minuteman

AYBGerrardo wrote:

I hadn't really thought of that. What are the tell-tale signs you are thinking of? Obviously, life would not have been easy for him after his 'unmasking', though I've always viewed it as Walter making the ultimate sacrifice, knowing he will never be able to entirely repress Rorchach. I'd find it quite defeatist to think he just couldn't go on.

Although the whole sequence is one of the best in the book, I love the way the internal conflict comes out in Rorchach/Walter's last moments: You literally see him half mask on/half mask off, his mouth uncovered as 'Walter' speaks! He cannot speak as Walter with the mask on. I think maybe another reason for Walter's resurgence is that he simply has the mask off for too long while in Prison (hence Rorchach's breakdown when they take it away and eagerness to get it back - it is as much about concealing his identity from himself than from the rest of the world)...and because, despite Rorchach's protestations, his psychotherapy actually worked! Just having someone to talk to made Walter feel stronger.