WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 pm 
So impotent.

Hey, Ive been to the cinema twice to see the Watchmen movie and loved it...and that got me really interested in the comic series...
So I want to buy the Hardcover edition that got released recently, as the over 400 pgs compilation of all the 12 issues...
But there is one thing im deciding between...wheter to get the original in English..or get the translated version in my language..
I understood the movie fine, but im just afraid there will be parts in the comic that could get me confused..so thats why im thinking about the translation..
on the other hand i like originals and the overall feel to it..but as i noted, English aint my mother tongue..

so, is there some part in the comics thats hard to understand ?...meaning vocabulary and stuff ?...i got a FCE certificate done on level A...if thats gonna help..

Thanks for answers...

Time is free, but priceless.
Woohoo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:10 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Put it this way: There's a point where a character makes a thinly-veiled reference to one of our heroes as "Raw Shark."

If you can figure out who that phrase refers to, then you should be able to handle the original English version without a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:58 am 
Crimebuster

Since the subject of this post is language....

Does anyone know if there is (going to be) a Japanese translation of the Watchmen GN?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:03 am 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

There is entirely too much lost in translation. Try to enjoy any story in the original language if you have the option.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:30 am 
New Frontiersman

Its unlike Vynson and I to agree, but he is 100% here. If you can enjoy the GN in the original, it will give you a deeper appreciation of the GN.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:00 am 
Alien Squid Monster

There will be words that you do not understand, but do not let that stop you from trying. A friend of mine who is a native English speaker found about 1 word per chapter that he had to look up in a dictionary. He's better for it, and it didn't stop him from enjoying the book.

Now, if you are looking up 10+ words on every page that might be too difficult. Why don't we do a test? Have a look at the following page, and see how much of it you can read without problem. If you feel like it, post the words you didn't understand. Don't worry, this page doesn't contain any spoilers at all.

http://api.ning.com/files/KSIMUu4ewW04O ... en0301.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:47 pm 
So impotent.

Whimper's page is a more difficult part of the book.
A reason to read it in the original is it that it would make it simpler to talk to people about it, for example here.
Besides, the references might be translated too, as they many times are, and you might not recognize them anymore than the american references. It is a complicated book with a lot of references which would make it very hard to translate. If you have to read it in translation then you have to, but otherwise the original would be better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:04 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

you could always buy it in both, and read them in tandem, read it in english and if you get stuck, switch over to the version in whatever language the other one is.. (did you ever mention which language it was? i expect a language relatively similar to english would be easier to get the references than if it was translated into,.... welsh for example)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:18 am 
I DID IT!

Just judging from your post, you seem pretty fluent in English. I wouldn't have pegged you for a non-native speaker.

I think you will probably be fine with the English language version. There are some references and words that you may need to look up--and that's fine, many native English speakers would need to look them up, too. Of course you know your own limits better than any of us do, though, so if you feel intimidated by the English version, go with your native translation. :)

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 am 
Alien Squid Monster

if you can post in this forum, you can read the GN in the original version. you might need to look up some words, but i always felt that this is the great thing about comics, it helps you learn a language because the pictures illustrate the words and help you understand better.
it possible at all, always get the original version - just my 2 euro-cents, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 pm 
Crimebuster

I don't mean to sound rude, and I'm not trying to insult you,but in case we haven't been through this before,every inch of it's multi-layered as all hell,including--scratch that--ESPECIALLY the dialogue,so if possible I would definitely get the English version.

You seem like you're pretty fluent :D And the movie, about every scene in it is adapted almost verbatim(except, the squid of course,but we can talk about all that later.),so if you got that,you'll get the book.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:24 pm 
So impotent.

Any classics reader will tell you you should read the books in their original language.
And Watchmen is a CLASSIC piece or art.

As language is not an issue get the English one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 am 
Minuteman

Read the GN in english. Not only because there are so many things they are impossible to thranslate and you will not notice them during the first or second reading - for example at Chap 12, Page 6 where the remaining letters formed: "Or all die" at the wall- or those things you can't translate properly: Chap 5, Page 22 Panel 6 and 7 "raw shark" that sounds like Rorschach.

But the german translation is very often very annoying. Some examples:
Chap 5 Page 5 and 6 - Ror eat a raw egg ans say as he leavs "Can't make an omelette without breaking few eggs" You can translate this saying one to one in german. Its a common saying that everybody understand. But in the german translation they took an other saying, something like :"where one planes there will fall splinters" (I'm not sure if I had translate it properly)
Chap 2 Page 24 Panel 8 - Ror said: "You're of hook." This works in the same way in german, no need to change it, but they did.

Rorschach hat a special way to speak. You can translate this special way wonderfull into german, but there he speaks much more normal.

If anybody can follow the discussions on this boead, he can read the GN in english.
And if there are some words you didn't know, and you didn't found in a dictionary, I think you will found someone in this forum who will explain it.

Code:
Any classics reader will tell you you should read the books in their original language.
And Watchmen is a CLASSIC piece or art.

Ok, hands up, who have read Goethe in germen, Baudlaire in frensh and the Iliade in aincent greek? ;)

Not reading them at all is no argument XD

Last edited by Pepper Cube on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 pm 
Vigilante

Non native speaker here....I learned much of my english from comics.

My grammar sucks I know but I can read it almost perfectly so if is for you to read it use english. Now I'm getting an extra copy on my native language for some friends that don't know as much english and could get bored so if you want to share it with non english speaking friends (and can afford it) get one on both languages.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Rosetta Stone ftw?