WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 pm 
New Frontiersman

Simple only if taken at face value as an instance of Det. Bourquin banally stating the bleeding obvious... more a case of knowingly humourous counterpoint from the author if considered on another level as being a form of response to the dark philosophy espoused by Rorschach and the closing line of his journal entry immediately preceding the cop's comment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:59 pm 
So impotent.

So many great lines from Dreiberg in Ch. XII...

"Usually, as soon as I mention Ornithology, folks sort of switch off and..."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I crushing you?"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:04 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I can't believe no one's said this classic

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'
Then I always liked this line

On Friday night, a Comedian died in New York. Someone threw him out of a window and when he hit the sidewalk his head was driven up into his stomach. Nobody cares. Nobody cares but me.

Laurie Juspeczyk: Is that what you are? The most powerful thing in the universe and you're just a puppet following a script? Doctor Manhattan: We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am 
Minuteman

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I can't believe no one's said this classic

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'

I love that line. When I first read the book I went back and re-read that line a few times.

Another classic is: Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

That night, I slept badly beneath cold, distant stars, pondering upon the cold, distant God in whose hands the fate of Davidstown rested. Was he really there? Had he been there once, but now departed?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:03 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Another great quote
Dan Dreiberg: But the country's disintegrating. What's happened to America? What's happened to the American dream?.
The Comedian: It came true. You're lookin' at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 pm 
Minuteman

SO MANY great lines, but a couple of lines stand out for me as I try to remember:

"I mean, what happened to the American Dream?"
"You're looking at it, kid. It came true."

DO IT!!!!!

"Laurie!? If you hurt her, I'll..
"-Please, Daniel, do grow up."

"At least I'm not sleeping with an H-bomb!

"C'mon, let's go ignore some red lights."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:24 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

Drunken Mastermind wrote:
SO MANY great lines, but a couple of lines stand out for me as I try to remember:

DO IT!!!!!

Drunken Mastermind? From RT?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:40 am 
So impotent.

The line that Milton Glass corrects himself with: "God exists and he is American". Dang near dropped my pizza when I read that, luckily not on the novel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 am 
Minuteman

Alfonso wrote:

DO IT!!!!!

Yeah. Are you Pagilacci from RT?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:26 pm 

Alfonso wrote:

DO IT!!!!!

Yeah. Are you Pagilacci from RT?

yeah. . . :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:25 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Didn't really know which topic to talk about this in but since it's about one line from the book I thought I would talk about it in here and elaborate on it a little bit...

I was having a conversation with my buddy a few weeks ago about the late George Carlin and another favorite comedian of ours; Bill Hicks. I brought up Watchmen(like I normally do during our conversations... I'm a bit obsessed) and Veidt's line towards the end of the book where he says,

"I had life's black comedy explained to me by the Comedian himself in '66. He discussed nuclear war's inevitability; described my future role as 'smartest guy on the cinder' and opened my eyes. Only the best comedians accomplish that."

I mentioned how that last sentence applied to Carlin and Hicks and how they were two of the best comedians for "opening our eyes"; telling the truth about the world. Then, a week or so ago I was having another conversation with that same friend of mine. We were talking about Watchmen again because he had just seen the trailer that day. He told me, "Remember that line you brought up about Ozymandias? About how only the best comedians can open your eyes? Well, I was thinking about how that could be a metaphor for Watchmen as a whole."
He explained that Watchmen, a "comic" book, used a medium originally intended to tell jokes and humorous stories to tell the "truth" about super heroes and, to a larger extent, about society in general. Like Veidt says, only the best comedians, or comics, can do that. Watchmen is arguably the best comic book ever written. It changed the super hero genre by telling the truth about it, showing what these people would be like in the real world. It opened our eyes about, in reality, just how crazy these people really are.

I always loved that line but I never thought of it that way. It made me love it even more. Anyway, sorry for such a long post about one line in the book. Just thought that was interesting enough to share with everyone.

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan." ~ Prof. Milton Glass - DR. MANHATTAN, SUPER-POWERS AND THE SUPERPOWERS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:41 am 
Minuteman

Interesting idea above, but I think that art leading to realization is far from a new concept. Nineteen Eighty-Four can "open our eyes" and I think we can all agree that Watchmen has the same quality as a book, as it's heralded as being the first graphic novel.

As for my favourite quote?

But doctor... I am Pagliacci!

You think that matters? You think that solves anything? It don't matter squat here -- lemme show you why it don't matter. It don't matter squat because inside 30 years the nukes are gonna be flyin' like maybugs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:56 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

DrSmiles wrote:
Interesting idea above, but I think that art leading to realization is far from a new concept. Nineteen Eighty-Four can "open our eyes" and I think we can all agree that Watchmen has the same quality as a book, as it's heralded as being the first graphic novel.

As for my favourite quote?

But doctor... I am Pagliacci!

second!
favorite favorite favorite quote. I think it completely captures the character of the Comedian as concisely as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:34 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

DrSmiles wrote:

Very true, Smiles. Reminds me of another line from another Alan Moore book, "Artists use lies to tell the truth". That one line from V had a very profound impact on my own artwork and how I felt about what, if anything, I was trying to say through it. While it's definitely not something new in art, I was thinking more about how that line applied to Watchmen and it's use of the comic book medium in particular.

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan." ~ Prof. Milton Glass - DR. MANHATTAN, SUPER-POWERS AND THE SUPERPOWERS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

VEIDT: But you'd regained interest in human life.

JON: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some.

I think it was meant to suggest that we are the human life that Manhattan created, which is a really cool thought.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:34 am 

"Oh shit. I'm on Mars." --Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:35 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Dr. Malcolm Long: Hello, Rorschach. How are you today?
Rorschach: In prison. Yourself?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:07 pm 
So impotent.

"Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

This line was so much more powerful being spoken by Dr. Manhatten. It had this eery, creepily horrific ring to it that comes from Dr. Manhatten's all-knowing, all-understanding view of the world. It's spoken so calmly and simply, and you can just sort of feel how much of a thunderous effect it has on Ozymandias.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 am 
Vigilante

Quote:
"There is a circulatory system walking through the kitchen."

I dunno why, but that's one of my favs. Maybe because out of context, it's just crazy sounding.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:39 am 
Minuteman

AYBGerrardo wrote:
t3cii wrote:
"Sure he was quiet, he was grim, but he still had all the buttons on his overcoat".

oh that is an absolute must if they keep the burning scene where you see rorschach missing a button! an essential part, perfect for dvd!
see i think dvd's bringing films closer to comics...you can easily locate bits within films and compare....
of course its not as easy as in comics, but awesome all the same! man, i can't wait for this watchmen dvd!

Off topic - my apologies.

One problem with any DVD release - they wouldn't stick on an alternative ending.

Would they?

Be seeing you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next