WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 pm 
Vigilante

Raine Summerfly wrote:
dandreiberg wrote:
My apologies in advances if this seems somewhat confrontational or provocative.

Sometimes I feel Silk Spectre II is the Rodney Dangerfield of Watchmen; she don't get no respect. Perhaps it's my own personal attitude about women (and I'm an aging fanboy who's been around the block a few times in case that matters), but I don't think so. I've seen a few fanboy comments on more than one site implying (using sometimes rather rude wording) that she's less than virtuous in her relationships. In my mind that seems rather harsh and judgemental, especially considering the moral lapses of some of Moore's other characters are patently worse.

Let's face it. Jon's first adventure ended in adultery. The fans say nothing. Dan is a little flaccid, and the fans chuckle. Blake rapes one woman and kills another carrying his child. The fans think he's great. Rorschach hates women. The fans cheer "yay Rorschach".

Laurie has a relatively normal experience. She leaves one relationship because she can't stand the guy no more. She shacks up with another guy. It's called serial monogamy. The fans mutter something about loose morals or flawed psychology.

I for one just don't get it. :?: :?: :?:

Wait how does Rorschach hate women? o_O

I don't think he hates them....he never even hurts a woman in the entire comic. He just had a bad experience because of his mother. I'm sure he doesn't actually believe that all women are bad though....

Anyway, I agree with you about Laurie....she really doesn't do much wrong compared to most of the other characters.

In all series I've read, even well-written ones, females characters really always get more crap from fans and what not. I don't really know why. I guess sexism is still everywhere even if people want to deny it or something. :(

I agree I think women on comic book general are more hated/less liked than men and their choices are always more judged than the male. I don't think it has to do with the movie Laurie Vs the comic Laurie but about she being the woman of the group thus she take the heat for all women. I'm sure that if Jon would had dumped her and kicked her out of the base and she got on with Dan the haters would had though that she did something wrong for Jon and that she was using Dan as a rebound...Is the nature of the beast, fandom is pretty sexist either way IMO *sigh*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:43 pm 
Vigilante

Laurie was really the only normal one in the novel. Normal in the sense is that she WAS scared of the approaching apocolypse but she wasn't going crazy on it. I'm not sure i'm saying what i'm trying to say, no one was going crazy, but you guys know what I mean. Really the only thing that made her somewhat distant was that she really just wanted someone. Once Jon left her she had no one else but Dan. I mean I knwo they love each othwer and all but I think she just wanted someone to be with her, the sex was helping the fact. Also Rorschach didn't hate women, Rain Summerfly made a good opint saying his mother was probably one reason but still, the only women we know he hated were his mother, the land lady, and maybe some people on the street but that was mainly about it. It never goes into depth on what he thought of women.

"They got writers, and scientists on this island with a giant squid! They didn't even invite me! They're having a bloody party! They have hookers! What the fuck Adrian, you bastard! Next time you visit me, you're getting a can of whoop ass!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:25 am 
Vigilante

You know I was discussing Watchmen on another board and one of the posters shared his/her reasons to not like Laurie that much. She was always complaining about his mother making her to be a superhero but once the Keene act passed she didn't tried to pursue anything else. I mean if she didn't wanted to be that but didn't tried anything it means that she was complaining over nothing since she didn't had any real ambition he/she pointed out that she did the same with Hatty. She was happy being his kept girlfriend and enjoying all the privileges that came with it instead of using the time to actually find herself or at least make something out of her life but she didn't and as soon as things got difficult she decided to walk away and that is very interesting that once she understood that her new lover needed a superhero life to be able to please her she decided that she did liked it to be a superhero after all meaning that maybe she just lazy and goes with whatever is easier to have what she wants.

I mean I don't see her that way but she is the only character that doesn't really have a real motivation/reason to be unhappy or to not fit in the world. Rorschach had his trauma, Dan has his disappointment, Veidt had his fears, Jon had the accident but Laurie doesn't really have a reason to be unhappy even though is the character that expresses her unhappiness more clearly of them all.

I don't see her that way of course but I can see why someone might perceive her in that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7