WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I did a search...didn't see a topic about the birthdays of the characters.

I've only ever seen Rorschach's birthday(March 21, 1940) given from what I recall and I haven't seen the other character's birthdays listed anywhere online either, just the year they were born is the most that we seem to have on most of them.

I'm just wondering if they really were ever given out? I'm more new to the series than a lot of people....I mean when the Watchmen stuff first came out in the 80's I was just a baby. XD I didn't even know about the series until more recently. So I probably don't know as much as longer time fans. So yeah, I was just wondering if their birthdays were ever given out.

Either way though I'm glad we at least got given Rorschach's full birthday, since he's my fav character. XD lol....he's way way older than me since I was only born in 1984. He's actually a bit older than my dad....although not by much. My dad is about the same vintage as him. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 am 
Minuteman

I don't have the book on hand (a common affliction it seems) but I think we also see The Comedian's birthdate on his headstone as Rorschach pays his respects in the graveyard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 am 
Minuteman

As far as I can see there is only the year of birth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:08 am 
Alien Squid Monster

The only time Rorschach's birthday is referenced is in his psychological profile in the appendix of Chapter Six. Just a small detail that doesn't really have much significance.

The only reason we know the years (and only the years) of the other characters' births is that we can only tell by referencing their ages to the respective year (e.g. Jon in Ch. 4, p.2, 5th panel: "It is 1985. I am on Mars. I am fifty-six years old." So he was born in 1929).

Luipaard wrote:
I don't have the book on hand (a common affliction it seems) but I think we also see The Comedian's birthdate on his headstone as Rorschach pays his respects in the graveyard.

Sadly, no. Just the year: 1924.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Well I'm glad that we got to know Rorschach's exact birthday. He's the one I care most about. It would just be cool if we knew the other's also.

I'm pretty sure that Laurie is my mom's age....1949 right? If so, my mom is the same age as her.

I actually strangely have the same birthday as my mother, different year though obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm pretty sure that most if not all the birthdates were fleshed out in the Watchmen Sourcebook published by Mayfair Games in the late 1980s in support of the Watchmen roleplaying modules for the DC Heroes game. I'll have to check this when I'm at home!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:24 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

OK, here we go:

Nite Owl I: from information given in Under the Hood, we assume he was born in 1916.

Hooded Justice: from info in the Watchmen Sourcebook noted above (pub. 1990 by Mayfair Games/DC comics after vetting by Alan Moore), he was probably born in 1916.

Silk Spectre I: born in 1920 according to Sourcebook material.

Captain Metropolis: born 11-8-12 (would that be Nov. 8 or 11 Aug.? Did the military use "European" dating at that time?) according to the US Marine Corps 1934 enlistment papers reproduced in the Sourcebook.

Dollar Bill: Unknown, but possible year of birth was 1917, since he seems to have been a senior in college in 1938-39 (Sourcebook materials).

Mothman: March 22, 1910, according to a clipping reproduced in the Sourcebook.

Silhouette: born in 1917 according to Sourcebook material.

The Comedian: born in 1924 according to the graphic novel.

Rorschach: as noted, born March 21, 1940 (graphic novel). The Sourcebook further dates the start of his crime-fighting career as March 18, 1964.

Nite Owl II: born 9-18-40 according to NY driver's license reproduced in the Sourcebook (presumably Sept. 18).

Dr. Manhattan: born 1929 (graphic novel references).

Silk Spectre II: born in 1949 (Under the Hood); the Sourcebook documents do not contradict this, but a reference to her being 27 in mid-Nov. 1977, if accurate, would place her exact birth date late in the year. This could be born out by the Pennsylvania driver's license for "Sandra Hollis" giving a date of birth of 12-1-49. [Note: the date of issuance for this photo ID is 9-11-83; so Daniel Dreiberg set up a fake identity for a WIFE, Laurie, two years before the events described in the graphic novel??]

Ozymandias: born 1939, by Ozzy's own account in the graphic novel.

What I find oddest: that Mothman is ostensibly the oldest of all the costumed adventurers! AND presumably is still alive at the end of the original story.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:07 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

piper909 wrote:
OK, here we go:

Nite Owl I: from information given in Under the Hood, we assume he was born in 1916.

Hooded Justice: from info in the Watchmen Sourcebook noted above (pub. 1990 by Mayfair Games/DC comics after vetting by Alan Moore), he was probably born in 1916.

Captain Metropolis: born 11-8-12 (would that be Nov. 8 or 11 Aug.? Did the military use "European" dating at that time?) according to the US Marine Corps 1934 enlistment papers reproduced in the Sourcebook.

Dollar Bill: Unknown, but possible year of birth was 1917, since he seems to have been a senior in college in 1938-39 (Sourcebook materials).

Rorschach: as noted, born March 21, 1940 (graphic novel). The Sourcebook further dates the start of his crime-fighting career as March 18, 1964.

Nite Owl II: born 9-18-40 according to NY driver's license reproduced in the Sourcebook (presumably Sept. 18).

Silk Spectre II: born in 1949 (Under the Hood); the Sourcebook documents do not contradict this, but a reference to her being 27 in mid-Nov. 1977, if accurate, would place her exact birth date late in the year. This could be born out by the Pennsylvania driver's license for "Sandra Hollis" giving a date of birth of 12-1-49. [Note: the date of issuance for this photo ID is 9-11-83; so Daniel Dreiberg set up a fake identity for a WIFE, Laurie, two years before the events described in the graphic novel??]

What I find oddest: that Mothman is ostensibly the oldest of all the costumed adventurers! AND presumably is still alive at the end of the original story.

Thanks a lot! That's interesting. ^^

Anyway, yeah I assumed Laurie was born later in the year since I remember her saying she was 35 in the comic in 1985 and I was pretty sure I had seen somewhere that she was born in 1949....I just didn't know the exact date but obviously yeah, her birthday is later in the year because my mom was also born in 1949 but my mom would have already been 36 at that time in the comic since my mom's birthday is in July. So I knew Laurie must be a few months younger than my mom.

I'm kind of surprised that Nite Owl II was born in 1940. I thought he was born in 1945 for some reason....just thought I saw that somewhere.....but your source is obviously better because for me I just saw it online somewhere. If his birthday is September 18 though that's interesting because I used to have a friend with that birthday. I stopped talking to him though.

Anyway....lol...yeah that is funny about the Mothman. XD Although he's only older than my grandpa by 2 years and my grandpa only passed away recently in 2006.

Mothman would be 99 now though if he was still alive....

Maybe Mothman actually got to die of old age.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:46 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Raine Summerfly wrote:

Probably. I imagine that things were relatively safe for him in a padded room with orderlies taking care of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:20 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Raine Summerfly wrote:

Probably. I imagine that things were relatively safe for him in a padded room with orderlies taking care of him.

Assuming that the "sick acquaintance" that Dan Dreiberg was visiting in Maine "on behalf of a mutual friend" was, indeed, Mothman, then he did get to live until at least 1983.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:18 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

piper909 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that most if not all the birthdates were fleshed out in the Watchmen Sourcebook published by Mayfair Games in the late 1980s in support of the Watchmen roleplaying modules for the DC Heroes game. I'll have to check this when I'm at home!

Is the Sourcebook considered canon?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:31 pm 
Human Bean Juice

t3cii wrote:
piper909 wrote:

I highly doubt it, but I think we'll take whatever scraps are fed to us. Ironic that Mothman and Rorschach's birthdays are 40 years and one day apart...as they are the two obvious "crazies" of the GN.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Lady_Rorschach wrote:
t3cii wrote:
piper909 wrote:

I highly doubt it, but I think we'll take whatever scraps are fed to us. Ironic that Mothman and Rorschach's birthdays are 40 years and one day apart...as they are the two obvious "crazies" of the GN.

Interesting question posed here -- What WOULD be considered "canon" apart from the Graphic Novel and supplemental material published with its various editions? There isn't much else out there -- would interviews or off-the-cuff remarks by Moore or Gibbons be considered canonical?

I would argue that the Sourcebook is canon (Secondary) to the GN being Primary canon. There's nothing in the Sourcebook that contradicts the GN in any important aspect and it was published by the same publisher within a short period following the original book's release and was subjected to Moore's review and approval, as I understand it. I'd like to hear about any further remarks Moore may be on record as saying about the Sourcebook, did he (or Gibbons) contribute directly in a significant, creative way or merely vett the manuscript?

The movie and related spinoffs I would certainly NOT regard as canon, but as a reinterpretation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:06 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Broken Finger wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Raine Summerfly wrote:

Assuming that the "sick acquaintance" that Dan Dreiberg was visiting in Maine "on behalf of a mutual friend" was, indeed, Mothman, then he did get to live until at least 1983.

I've always assumed that Mothman is still alive at the time of the events of the book (Oct-Nov. 1985). Neither Rorschach nor anyone else in the contemporary time-line refer to Mothman in the past tense or refer to his death.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 am 
Alien Squid Monster

piper909 wrote:
Lady_Rorschach wrote:
t3cii wrote:
piper909 wrote:

Interesting question posed here -- What WOULD be considered "canon" apart from the Graphic Novel and supplemental material published with its various editions? There isn't much else out there -- would interviews or off-the-cuff remarks by Moore or Gibbons be considered canonical?

I would argue that the Sourcebook is canon (Secondary) to the GN being Primary canon. There's nothing in the Sourcebook that contradicts the GN in any important aspect and it was published by the same publisher within a short period following the original book's release and was subjected to Moore's review and approval, as I understand it. I'd like to hear about any further remarks Moore may be on record as saying about the Sourcebook, did he (or Gibbons) contribute directly in a significant, creative way or merely vett the manuscript?

The movie and related spinoffs I would certainly NOT regard as canon, but as a reinterpretation.

Hurm, a followup on the "canon" query.

I reread Dave Gibbons' "Watching the Watchmen" last evening and on page 243, he notes about the Mayfair role-playing game modules, "These were written with extensive input from Alan and illuminated some previously obscure corners of the Watchmen universe. I providede covers and many interior illustrations." Gibbons also calls these releases (two game modules and a Sourcebook) "considered" and "perhaps worthy" (in a smiling tone, compared to the Watchmen wristwatch and other kitsch merchandise).

This statement, to me, if nothing else establishes the Sourcebook information as "canon" enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:14 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Mothman is very much still alive in 1985, safe, snug, and in an asylum in Maine. According to Rorschach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:43 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Great list, by the way!

Mothman's birthdate seems really off, I agree. He always came off as rather young looking in the novel, even when when he visited Sally and Rorschach seemed to think that he's still alive in 1985. Even in a safe, padded cell, the amount of mental and psychological stress Byron Lewis throughout his life, it seems unlikely that that he would live until the age of 99! Even in the film, he looks EXTREMELY young, probably 30 to 35 tops, thus I think "1910" was a typo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am 
Human Bean Juice

DogWithHeadSplitOpen wrote:
Great list, by the way!

Mothman's birthdate seems really off, I agree. He always came off as rather young looking in the novel, even when when he visited Sally and Rorschach seemed to think that he's still alive in 1985. Even in a safe, padded cell, the amount of mental and psychological stress Byron Lewis throughout his life, it seems unlikely that that he would live until the age of 99! Even in the film, he looks EXTREMELY young, probably 30 to 35 tops, thus I think "1910" was a typo.

Makes sense, Dog. Out of all the Minutemen, wasn't Eddie Blake the youngest? Upon finding my GN this morning, Eddie looks older than Byron! But...he is a drunk, don't forget. He'd probably have been was persevered and thus didn't age much...

Yeah, yeah, I know, bad joke...

Post subject: More!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 am 
Alien Squid Monster

piper909 wrote:
OK, here we go:

I have reexamined the "Taking Out the Trash" Mayfair Games module, the second one published (1987) in support of the DC Heroes RPG based on the Watchmen characters. (The Dave Gibbons cover art features only the Comedian.) Holy Feliz Cumpleanos! There is a "Superhero Activity: A Chronology" on pp. 18-19 documenting many events in the Watchmen universe and this gives all sorts of interesting dates, including birthdates, that are inconsistent in places with references in the GN and in the previously noted Watchmen Sourcebook published by Mayfair.

So, to further muddy up the picture, from this Chronology:

Hooded Justice born July 11, 1905.

Hollis Mason (Nite Owl I) born Jan. 30, 1906.

Byron Lewis (Mothman) born Mar. 22, 1910.

Nelson Gardner (Captain Metroplis) born Aug. 11, 1912.

Ursula Zandt (Silhouette) born Sept. 4, 1917.

Bill Brady (Dollar Bill) born Nov. 6, 1917.

E.W. Jacobi (Moloch) born June 6, 1920.

Sally Jupiter (Silk Spectre I) born Aug. 3, 1920.

Edward Blake (Comedian) born May 13, 1924.

Jon Osterman (Dr. Manhattan) born Mar. 30, 1929.

Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias) born Oct. 7, 1933.

Nite Owl I become active, Mar. 11, 1939.

Minutemen founded, Dec. 16, 1939.

Joseph Walter Kovacs (Rorschach) born Mar. 21, 1940.

Hooded Justice prevents Comedian's assault on Sally Jupiter, June 25, 1940.

Daniel Dreiberg (Nite Owl II) born Sept. 18, 1942.

Silhouette expelled from Minutemen, May 13, 1946 (killed two weeks later by the Liquidator)

Dollar Bill killed, July 23, 1946.

Silk Spectre I retires and marries, 1947.

Moloch becomes a major underworld figure, 1947.

Sally Jupiter's affair with Edward Blake, March 1950.

Laurie Jupiter (Silk Spectre II) born, Dec. 2, 1950.

Hooded Justice murdered by Comedian, April 16, 1955.

Sally Jupiter divorces Laurence Shexnayder, May 11, 1956.

Ozymandias becomes active, Mar. 17, 1958.

Jon Osterman subjected to intrinsic field accident, Sept. 11, 1959.

Dr. Manhattan appears, Nov. 22, 1959.

Nite Owl I retires, May 16, 1962.

Mothman admitted to sanitorium, Aug. 28, 1962.

Rorschach becomes active, Mar. 20, 1964.

Abortive "Crimebusters" meeting, April 14, 1966.

Janey Slater leaves Dr. manhattan, Aug. 26, 1966.

Dr. Manhattan intervenes in Vietnam War, Jan. 4, 1971.

Captain Metropolis dies, Oct. 3, 1974.

Keene Act passed, Aug. 3, 1977.

Comedian frees American hostages in Iran, Dec. 1978 [Note: Iranian hostages not actually seized until 1979]

Sally Jupiter enters retirement home, June 20, 1980.

Dr. Manhattan moves to Rockefeller Military Research Center, May 31, 1981.

Veidt begins hiring artists, writers, scientists to create a "creature", 1982.

After discovering Veidt's secret island, Comedian visits Moloch, July 16, 1985.

Comedian murdered by Veidt, Oct. 12, 1985.

Post subject: Re: More!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 am 
Alien Squid Monster

piper909 wrote:
piper909 wrote:
OK, here we go:

I have reexamined the "Taking Out the Trash" Mayfair Games module, the second one published (1987) in support of the DC Heroes RPG based on the Watchmen characters. (The Dave Gibbons cover art features only the Comedian.) Holy Feliz Cumpleanos! There is a "Superhero Activity: A Chronology" on pp. 18-19 documenting many events in the Watchmen universe and this gives all sorts of interesting dates, including birthdates, that are inconsistent in places with references in the GN and in the previously noted Watchmen Sourcebook published by Mayfair.

So, to further muddy up the picture, from this Chronology:

Hooded Justice born July 11, 1905.

Hollis Mason (Nite Owl I) born Jan. 30, 1906.

Byron Lewis (Mothman) born Mar. 22, 1910.

Nelson Gardner (Captain Metroplis) born Aug. 11, 1912.

Ursula Zandt (Silhouette) born Sept. 4, 1917.

Bill Brady (Dollar Bill) born Nov. 6, 1917.

E.W. Jacobi (Moloch) born June 6, 1920.

Sally Jupiter (Silk Spectre I) born Aug. 3, 1920.

Edward Blake (Comedian) born May 13, 1924.

Jon Osterman (Dr. Manhattan) born Mar. 30, 1929.

Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias) born Oct. 7, 1933.

Nite Owl I become active, Mar. 11, 1939.

Minutemen founded, Dec. 16, 1939.

Joseph Walter Kovacs (Rorschach) born Mar. 21, 1940.

Hooded Justice prevents Comedian's assault on Sally Jupiter, June 25, 1940.

Daniel Dreiberg (Nite Owl II) born Sept. 18, 1942.

Silhouette expelled from Minutemen, May 13, 1946 (killed two weeks later by the Liquidator)

Dollar Bill killed, July 23, 1946.

Silk Spectre I retires and marries, 1947.

Moloch becomes a major underworld figure, 1947.

Sally Jupiter's affair with Edward Blake, March 1950.

Laurie Jupiter (Silk Spectre II) born, Dec. 2, 1950.

Hooded Justice murdered by Comedian, April 16, 1955.

Sally Jupiter divorces Laurence Shexnayder, May 11, 1956.

Ozymandias becomes active, Mar. 17, 1958.

Jon Osterman subjected to intrinsic field accident, Sept. 11, 1959.

Dr. Manhattan appears, Nov. 22, 1959.

Nite Owl I retires, May 16, 1962.

Mothman admitted to sanitorium, Aug. 28, 1962.

Rorschach becomes active, Mar. 20, 1964.

Abortive "Crimebusters" meeting, April 14, 1966.

Janey Slater leaves Dr. manhattan, Aug. 26, 1966.

Dr. Manhattan intervenes in Vietnam War, Jan. 4, 1971.

Captain Metropolis dies, Oct. 3, 1974.

Keene Act passed, Aug. 3, 1977.

Comedian frees American hostages in Iran, Dec. 1978 [Note: Iranian hostages not actually seized until 1979]

Sally Jupiter enters retirement home, June 20, 1980.

Dr. Manhattan moves to Rockefeller Military Research Center, May 31, 1981.

Veidt begins hiring artists, writers, scientists to create a "creature", 1982.

After discovering Veidt's secret island, Comedian visits Moloch, July 16, 1985.

Comedian murdered by Veidt, Oct. 12, 1985.

Oy, that's confusing. According to the official movie tie-in Facebook page, Adrian's birthday is February 12, 1939 (which actually contradicts the chronology established in the movie companion book, which made Adrian's apparent youth more plausible by shifting his year of birth to 1950). Presumably other dates are given for the others.